Ireland vs The Rock, Kaiser Wilhelm (1 Viewer)

In fact, if anyone was sloppy when they came on (Hendrick certainly wasn't) it was Hoolahan. Which is not to say he wasn't impactful, but he made a mess of more things than any others. Gibson on the other hand was in charge from the get go.

Last edited:
Just watched the full thing there. Been waiting for O'Shea to pull off something like that since his miss in Paris ten years ago, great finish and great hook back by Hendrick. Also praiseworthy were Meyler, Forde and McClean (who is properly becoming the new Kilbane i.e. a player whose influence at international level exceeds his modest ability thanks to exceptional effort). It does seem like we got Germany at the perfect time, didn't look like themselves for most of the game, knocking it around nicely 50 yards from goal but sluggish and lacking that lethal final ball. Ireland defended quite well but we shat our pants in possession repeatedly until Gibson and Hendrick came on. Keane as we're used to now in games where we see little of the ball was barely involved. Like the Georgia game, significant shades of Trap's approach.. it worked in the end and it's a fantastic result but you'd hope there's a little more faith placed in the team's ability to use the ball in the next 2 games. Poland v Scotland seems to have been a minor cracker based on the highlights, the games between us and both of them should be proper nail biters.

Where's the facepalm button?

Watch Hendrick's assist to O'Shea again, look at the angle the ball's coming to him and how he has to adjust, and tell me that's sloppy.
Firstly where's the misquote button, I think you'll find there's "on the other hand" and a specific proviso in between those two statements

Secondly one ball does not make a player. He gave it away a lot last night and played it backwards continually against Gibralter.

I thought Hendrick was pretty good when he game on, apart from the goal where he was very very good.
Hoolahan provided added movement 'between the lines' but unfortunately he made the wrong decision on a couple of occasions and executed badly on others. I'm not sold on him as automatic starter but yeah, deserves a chance in a proper game.
Gibson certainly added some positivity in his passing.

I thought that the biggest change in the last 20 mins was psychological. The bad thing had happened and all of a sudden the players were less frightened to look for a pass, look for space, etc. Unfortunately, before that you've the familiar problem of technically poor players (particularly full backs, Glenn Whelan) working the ball back to the goalkeeper as the easiest option in panicky situations, i.e. every time they get possession. Then a goalkeeper who is not Victor Valdes on the ball gives it back to the opposition. Coleman improves us in this regard, but left back is a problem position for us as a team in possession.

Anyway, brilliant achievement to go there and pull it out at the death. Delighted. This is a hell of a group. Can't wait for the Scotland game.

Am I nuts here. I thought Hoolahan was pretty poor. Even the cross for the goal was woefully overhit. Hendrick impressed me, not least because he was willing to get out of his half every now and then. And Dunphy's eulogising of Forde...without him it would have been a cricket score, or a larger football score, or whatever. Did he make one really outstanding save. It all looked fairly rudimentary. he's not a great keeper.

Keane is finished at this level. But the Gibraltar level, he can do a job.

1413310319866_wps_39_RIO_DE_JANEIRO_BRAZIL_JUL.jpg

Seems like a long time ago now, doesn't it Angela. Your boys took a hell of a drawing!

Forde - Did well last night, but I still think he could hold on to more balls. A lot of his saves he pushes the ball away from him when it seems like if he took it in the stomach he could get the thing in his hands. And he did make one outstanding save, when that German player got through 1 on 1 after about 75 minutes, that was a very very good save.

O'Shea - Had a great night really, was excellent in defence and got the goal

Wilson - Good night as well, but he did pick up a fucking stupid yellow card.

Meyler - Really did well at right-back, in both games. Could he play on the left???

Ward - Fucking donkey, but he did at least defend well last night, can't fault that.

Whelan - Fucking donkey. Picked up a stupid booking, got injured and went off. Whelan's problem is that he might be okay making a tackle, but if he wins the ball he will just punt it straight back to the other team, because he is fucking shit.

Quinn - Did alright, but was caught backing off for their goal, should have attacked Kroos in that situation. If there is one player on the German team you can't let have that space 25 yards out, it's Kroos.

McGeady - Had no space to work in when he was in the middle. Much better when he went back out to the wing.

McClean - Had a really good match, fair play to him, put in the effort all night and was really impressive.

Walters - Was fairly useless out on the wing, was pretty good once he got moved into the middle.

Unknown Fan - Did he actually touch the ball?

Dyareuin Goobason - Was excellent when he came on. After that performance, I don't see how Whelan should ever be starting another game over him. He did all the things Whelan does, except when he won the ball, he was actually able to pass the fucking thing. Fuck Whelan.

Hendricks - I thought he did well enough, he put himself about okay and of course was involved in the goal.

Hoolahan - I also thought he was a bit sloppy, but I think a player like Hoolahan is more than likely going to get that against teams like Germany that press very well. End of the day, if Unknown Fan starts a match like this, he shouldn't, and Hoolahan should instead.

I think the real difference for us last night was when Garbsign came on. He gave us a composure on the ball that was totally absent in the first half, and he battles for the ball properly, and doesn't just fucking give up. Should be starting every game, no question.

My preferred line-up in the future would be something like

Forde

Coleman - O'Shea - Wilson - Kilbane

McGeady - Geybsune - Quinn - McClean

Hoolahan

Walters/Long

I could see the argument in switching out Hoolahan for someone like Hendricks though, if we're playing a team like Germany, and obviously Unknown Fan should play against Gibraltar so that he can try and overtake Gerd Muller.

My preferred line-up in the future would be something like

Forde

Coleman - O'Shea - Wilson - Kilbane

McGeady - Geybsune - Quinn - McClean

Hoolahan

Walters/Long

I could see the argument in switching out Hoolahan for someone like Hendricks though, if we're playing a team like Germany, and obviously Unknown Fan should play against Gibraltar so that he can try and overtake Gerd Muller.

You'd drop James McCarthy?

Firstly where's the misquote button, I think you'll find there's "on the other hand" and a specific proviso in between those two statements

Secondly one ball does not make a player. He gave it away a lot last night and played it backwards continually against Gibralter.

I read it properly: "let's not get carried away, on the other hand watch me get carried away".

I'd have to disagree with you on Hendrick, as are most people. He was good when he came on. He strolled it against Gibraltar - I wouldn't read much into that.

You'd drop James McCarthy?

Yeah I knew I was forgetting someone. Na I wouldn't just drop McCarthy, I guess we need a proper game to see how he would work in midfield with Gobsyn. Maybe McCarthy would be better instead of Hoolihan for matches against better teams. Hard to say. Quinn has done surprisingly well since he's come in, who'd have thought we'd all of a sudden have all this choice in midfield? Makes a change from Whelan and Andrews, fuck.

Yeah I knew I was forgetting someone. Na I wouldn't just drop McCarthy, I guess we need a proper game to see how he would work in midfield with Gobsyn. Maybe McCarthy would be better instead of Hoolihan for matches against better teams. Hard to say. Quinn has done surprisingly well since he's come in, who'd have thought we'd all of a sudden have all this choice in midfield? Makes a change from Whelan and Andrews, fuck.

And don't forget that Meyler and Wilson are central midfielders too.
I'd hope we'd play McCarthy, Gibson and Hoolahan against Scotland, but it's tough on Hendrick.

I'd prefer to keep McGeady out wide, but it really fucking grinds my gears that Dunphy was so emphatic that it was pointless to play him in the hole against Germany, completely oblivious to the fact that he played there against Georgia and scored twice, without which we'd not be where we are now.
We really need a campaign to get that fool off the air.

He didn't really play in the hole against Georgia, he just had a much more free role against them, so he was able to come in off the wing when he wanted. I think it was the movement that really undid them, particularly with the second goal you could see that the defenders weren't sure which of them should have been picking him up, and then it was too late.

True true, he did have more of a libero role, but the point is that he spent most of it in the middle and that's where he did the damage

I'd prefer to keep McGeady out wide, but it really fucking grinds my gears that Dunphy was so emphatic that it was pointless to play him in the hole against Germany, completely oblivious to the fact that he played there against Georgia and scored twice, without which we'd not be where we are now.
We really need a campaign to get that fool off the air.

Dunphy completely ignored

- McGeady has said he can/enjoys playing in the middle
- If he'd been brought up in any other footballing culture in Europe being a small, quick, tricksy lad might not have meant he had to play on the wing
- It's relatively common in the last 5 or so years to have a "winger" playing in the centre, O'Neill's Villa team did it a lot so it's obviously an idea that the management are familiar with. And if you've only got one quick lad and you want to play on the break it isn't a terrible idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back