Ireland vs Sepp Blatter and Jozef Tiso (2 Viewers)

Jerry Twig

Supporter
Solutions
Blatter - you like that one Cormac?!

000beeb7-642.jpg

The only thing to get excited about is Judge and Arter really, but nice to see some new names. Why in the name of Jesus are Green and Cox getting a look in though? Surely give Rooney at Aberdeen a look in up front? That front line wouldn't inspire confidence, would it?

Our forwards are a fucking horrowshow. That's it? That's the best we can do? Jesus.

Our forwards are a fucking horrowshow. That's it? That's the best we can do? Jesus.

It's not the best we can do - Adam Rooney and Eddie McGoldrick are injured and otherwise would be on it in place of Cox and Stokes or Doyle. But while I do support announcing a big squad, I don't understand calling up Cox, Doyle, Stokes, Green, McShane and even Forde, as we should only be looking at young players on the up, not lads whose Ireland career is, to be blunt, over.

PS - good to see that Westwood was also included, as I was fearing there was a bit of a spat there. Probably still is, but at least he's in the running.

There'll be 10 players cut from that group before the matches, it'll be interesting to see who of the potential new caps stays in. Judge definitely deserves a chance, one of the best players in the Championship this season, and Doherty is worth a go given the shortage of good fullback options. Rob Elliot should probably get a start, been consistently impressive despite Newcastle's results, If only we had even one promising young striker coming through. Pity about Adam Rooney's injury. Cillian Sheridan has actually bagged a dozen goals in 25 games in Cyprus since his move out there, arguably worth a recall considering it's probably a better standard than SPL..

It's not the best we can do - Adam Rooney and Eddie McGoldrick are injured and otherwise would be on it in place of Cox and Stokes or Doyle. But while I do support announcing a big squad, I don't understand calling up Cox, Doyle, Stokes, Green, McShane and even Forde, as we should only be looking at young players on the up, not lads whose Ireland career is, to be blunt, over.
We're bad, I grant you. But Eddie McGoldrick is 50.

Doherty is worth a go given the shortage of good fullback options.

Doherty is a right back, one position where we are very well covered. At the back it's Cunningham who really deserves the run out in my opinion.

Doherty is a right back, one position where we are very well covered. At the back it's Cunningham who really deserves the run out in my opinion.
I'm not sure we have floods of viable right backs either - Coleman and Christie obviously, Wilson though he's well out of contention at Stoke, O'Shea's too slow to manage it these days.. I'm not sure if Clark or Ward have ever played on that side. Didn't Meyler end up filling in there a couple of times during the qualifiers?

I'm not sure we have floods of viable right backs either - Coleman and Christie obviously, Wilson though he's well out of contention at Stoke, O'Shea's too slow to manage it these days.. I'm not sure if Clark or Ward have ever played on that side. Didn't Meyler end up filling in there a couple of times during the qualifiers?

He did indeed, against the World Champions away no less! But to be fair your final squad is really two players per position and three keepers, with a few utility options. We have our best player as our right back and one of the most solid understudies in Christie (who played against Germany in Dublin as it happens). Where we are most deficient by a mile is left back. Cunningham is the only new left back and he's having a decent season by all accounts.

It just confirms that there's beef between Westwood and MON, which has been suspected for a long time. Obviously there is no way a League 1 benchwarmer is more worthy than Westwood, who is probably our best keeper to be fair. I'd say Forde is also only holding the place for Given if he recovers (also mad).

Great to beat the Swiss (I still hold a grudge over '04 / '06).. Solid defensive performance, especially encouraging shift from Clark and Duffy. We were rubbish in possession though, the flat 4-4-2 shape didn't help, Meyler and Quinn were a bit swamped in the centre and sticking Judge out on the wing didn't give him a proper chance to impress. Glad to hear Doyle's injury isn't as serious as it looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back