Ireland vs Ratko Mladic (1 Viewer)

As for Whelan and McCarthy. My feeling is that neither is naturally a defensive midfielder. .
Heh? That's precisely what both of them are.
Gibson is an attacking midfielder with very nice passing ability, if he could stop breaking himself and running over peoples bicycles, but enough with the labels, I don't agree that Whelan is necessary at all. Put Arter, Gibson, O'Kane, Meyler or even Wilson in there with McCarthy and you automatically have a better midfield.

But I do concede he has improved a lot for Ireland in the last year as part of 5 man midfield.

My dark horse for the euro squad (he'll be back for Forest next month) - Andy Reid!

Whelan's an enigma, Stoke import a couple of fancy midfielders every year and he always wins his place back. I think managers love him partly because he's mouthy, always in the referee's ear and shouting at his teammates, so he gets labelled an on-field leader. The problem is that when he has an off-night he's worse than useless because his attacking input is already so limited.. I thought the Poland away performance was bad enough to get him dropped (though in fairness not many Ireland players did well that night):
whelan-1.gif

There's a larger, slow motion version of that clip of him being turned that makes it look even more shocking which I can't seem to find anywhere now.. I'd rather see Gibson, Quinn or Meyler in there myself but if we had any other player who was regularly starting at a mid-table Premier League side and being overlooked people would be screaming for them to be in the team..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back