Ireland versus Archduke Franz Ferdinand (1 Viewer)

To be fair in the last few days I can definitely say that we had almost 1 of 3 players that should play at a major finals.

Coleman, in spite of his basic positioning error tonight at least tried to play football.

Between Austria and Sweden they had Alaba and Zlatan and fuck all else. Awful awful sides. if they make it to the WC it'll be embarrassing.

I know we're shit, that's a given but they were fucking shit. Watching Alaba tonight reminded me of when you were 10 and your 13 year old cousin played football with you and you thought he was a genius because he could do loads of keepy ups and pass it to you from miles away.

Seriously the standard in this group is ridiculously low. Englands group on the other hand, fucking hell. Poland Montenegro and Ukraine should qualify on basic footballing principal.

O'Neill is the current favourite with the bookies. There's a few Irish lads in England at the moment doing decent club work but MON has the selling point for the FAI of not having to pay compensation to a current employer.

He's not really an exciting prospect though, his teams play horrid football, which apparently was Trap's big sin, even when we were doing okayish under him.

Realistically I suppose it's probably going to be one from O'Neill, Hughton, McDermott, Coyle, McCarthy, Fenlon or Keane. Only two on that list are currently unemployed and I'm not sure the others would leave their present jobs. I'm sure David O'Leary will suddenly appear out of the ether at some point and talk about his time at Leeds with 'me babies'.

I don't rate Coyle, I think that would just be more of the same. Hughton would be interesting, O Niell has a style of play that is most suited to where we are at the moment.

Is Keane really in the running ? I think the FAI have more chance of putting an Pep Guardiola in charge.

Defensive, long ball, hit on the break merchant? Why even change the manager then?
Yeah That's kind of my point. I meant to say that I don't like the idea of MON as our next manager. I think it's time we changed the whole set up. When you look at the way Kerr had the under age teams playing 15 years ago and what he achieved with them it's pretty disasterous that the players graduated to the first team and basically play worse football. I'd imagine that's still happening.

We don't really have the players so our expectations should be low and they are but it's time we left the 80's model behind and started something new. People always go on about how the players aren't "technically" good enough but it's easier to pass a ball accurately over 10-15 yards than it is to play it accurately 50 yards onto someones head. The whole system has to change and there has to be more encouragement for young players to go further afield to improve their chances of playing and playing properly. England is in decline and you can tell that from their national side.

Biesla's pie in the sky, lads. In the sky! We need a dude who knows of the players already, who knows where Ireland is, preferably having even been here before, and someone who lives and works in England so they can spend every weekend watching players and checking shit out and maybe even going so far as to uncover some gems in the diaspora. We don't need another lad who can't speak English and is going to look at our lads and think, "I used to work with Maradona." Fuck that. We need a guy who's thinking "I used to work with SPencer Prior."

If Roy Keane gets the job, i'm out. At least for the 6 months he's in charge.

Biesla's pie in the sky, lads. In the sky! We need a dude who knows of the players already, who knows where Ireland is, preferably having even been here before, and someone who lives and works in England so they can spend every weekend watching players and checking shit out and maybe even going so far as to uncover some gems in the diaspora. We don't need another lad who can't speak English and is going to look at our lads and think, "I used to work with Maradona." Fuck that. We need a guy who's thinking "I used to work with SPencer Prior."

If Roy Keane gets the job, i'm out. At least for the 6 months he's in charge.

Why go down the same road again though ? The Euros was a good barometer for where we are and where the rest of football is. Ourselves and England are about 5 years behind the rest of Europe. We appoint MON or Chris Hughton we battle through the playoffs to get to a major tourament then we concede 10 goals lose all three matches and everyone gets pissed and the hosts love us (unless it's Qatar in which case we all die of sunstroke or get publicly executed for getting shit faced and licking the nipples off of an opposing fan). Then we struggle to do it again 2 years later and the manager gets sacked.

We need a plan for the next 10-15 years not just for the next qualifying campaign. It has to start at grass roots. Instead of pumping money into getting a manager who demands big wages we should pump the cash into youth development and into getting the stablising the LOI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back