International women's day (1 Viewer)

DuncheeKnifed said:
yeah, what i meant was that many assumptions can be made as to what these indications of our 'natural' state mean. i mean that you have to consider the standpoint of the archaeologists/anthropologists/etc. who make these findings and assumptions which could be insightful or totally misguided. for example, i was in the museum in hobart in tasmania during the summer and they had one of those exhibits that shows aborigines living as they did when the settlers found them. it was a pretty old exibit and was due to be updated shortly. in it an aboriginal family was dipicted as a western family of mum, dad, and the kids when in actual fact the aboriginal family structure was very different to this.

I was going to steer clear of this thread for the sake of my nerves, but now I just have to step in. Yes, there certainly would be archaeologists and evolutionary biologists who would subscribe to evolutionary determinism to explain gender roles, but most of us living in the 21st century would not.

Unfortunately, a lot of museums have failed to update their exhibits (and not just the small museums, either), and academic archaeologists are probably last in the race to start re-examining the way we interpret and communicate information. Anthropologists would set someone straight on the matter. Or any anthropologist who'd read anything written in the last 15 years would, anyway. So you're totally right. I think it's irresponsible of any museum or venue for public display about the past to misrepresent it in such a backward way. I hope they weren't lying to you about updating the exhibit, but actually, they probably weren't. The archaeologists I've met who work in that part of the world tend to be pretty interested in looking for ways to redress the completely fucked up way that anthropology itself helped the Empire conquer and kill so many Aborigines in the first place.

There's a well-known anecdote (to archaeology geeks) involving a professor of palaeoanthropology teaching a class of students about hunter-gatherers. Many of the female students were disappointed to hear that females may have been more likely to gather, and hunting may have been done by men. They wanted there to be evidence that women were the hunters, and that men stayed home and swept the floors. The gist of it is that they valued hunting more, not because it provided more nourishment (because, probably, the bulk of most early prehistoric diets, and indeed a lot of early historic ones, was made up of plant foods), but because it was male. And the whole image of prehistory remains -- at a fundamental level -- based on a 20th-century notion of a nuclear family. It's not that men were hunters, and therefore in a better position to be the powerful in society, it's that hunting is seen as masculine and the masculine is seen as more valuable in the present, and is projected onto the past as such, when we don't actually know one way or the other.

In reality, people would have been better able to rely on plant foods than on animals you have to track and chase -- you can guarantee that you'll come home with food when you go out to gather, but not when you go out to hunt. And anyway, they probably shared a lot of the tasks. Plus, hunting and gathering wasn't all they did. Some have postulated that in order to feed a small community of hunter-gatherers, it required, in some areas, a work output of about 20 hours per week. The rest of the time they hung out and posted on the prehistoric internet. On Knapped, the prehistoric version of Thumped. So life was NOT all about work, and people would not have been solely defined nor valued based on the work that they did -- they were far more complex than that. It doesn't mean that roles might not have been gendered, but there may have been more than two genders, and other factors would have been involved, and we don't know what status divisions were like. And we never, ever, ever will.

And in Ireland, the earliest settlers had no big game to hunt, just little weaselly creatures. They probably ate a lot of fish, too, but also lots of plants. So if people want to hang onto the Man The Hunter myth in IReland to prop up male dominance, they'll be hanging onto Man The Pretty Damn Useless At Bringing Home Anything Remotely Resembling Bacon. But that's not the point.

But regardless of how ancient cultures lived, we live in the present, and the way we live is not a direct result of how people lived 10,000 years ago. There are influences from the past, yes, but those influences are not handed down undistilled. They are a combination of actual practices, and how those practices have been interpreted along the way.

Not being a prehistorian myself, I can't say a whole lot on the issue, except that you are right: the rigid gender roles prescribed by modern museums and academics are backward and on their way out (and if you want to see some really fucked up shit, look at children's books on the subject, which show almost all adult males, and no children or women doing anything that would be considered by the writers to be a 'contribution').

Any time someone brings up prehistoric cultures as support for an argument that men are somehow naturally dominant or that there is evidence for it in deepest human antiquity, I want to scream my head off until my tits fall off.

Actually, I do have a lot to say on the issue. I just think it's important to nip any evolutionary rubbish in the bud before it gets used to support an argument. Yes, there are biological differences between women and men (I even saw a mickey once in a fillum), but that can neither explain nor justify the inequalities in society. We are biologically programmed to shit in a squatting position on the ground, but it doesn't mean toilets suddenly have to become passé. The relationship between the biological and the cultural and political is complex, indirect, and constantly changing.

Dunno if I'm even making sense now. I'm off to bed.

what jane said.
jane.gif

ps - "you must spread some reputation around before giving it to jane again"

DuncheeKnifed said:
right, i think education is important but is not a panacea for society's ills and problems of self-awareness/conciousness, whatever. i assume
you are talking about formal education? which is extremely biased along class, gender, race, disability, etc. lines. the first premise of
education is to gear people up for being productive citizens. it promotes certain ideals of normality to allow the students to fit in to
wider society and teaches people literacy and numeracy skills so that they can function as productive beings capable of operating in a
working environment. what you do in/weither you go to college is heavily influenced by class (financially, oppertunity, expectation, standard
of education to date), gender (streaming of women and men into suitable courses and careers based on often socially created ideas about
gender predispostion to certain things), disability/learning difficulty (those with dyslexia, for example, are at a disadvantage not because
of incapicity to understand, comprehend, or think but because of the reliance of formal education on the written word), and so on...
I agree with a lot of the above, except this bit: "the first premise of education is to gear people up for being productive citizens"
this sounds to me like a very political statement. It might the premise of some 'capitalist obsessed version of education', programming of
the workers, which you may believe is what we have in the west. That's arguable. Why bother teaching irish?. ( although i would in fact agree
with you on it somewhat!).

The premise of education ( as an ideal) is to impart learning , and to bring out talents which may be already present.
I don't regard 'formal education' as it stands as a good deep broad learning and it has all the flaws you mention. However it's still beter than no education i'm sure we'd all agree.
i suspect we are actually in agreement as to what constitues a good education and that hopefully will be become clear with a bit of wrangling below.

DuncheeKnifed said:
i can't agree with the assertion that formal education, including philosophic and scientific education within that system, are by and large
emancipatory tools or promote self-awareness. you don't even get to start expressing an opinion until you're a post-grad.

philosophy \ critical thinking \ skepticism is not manditorily taught to the vast majority of children in the west. I dunno about the east?
i think this is a huge problem. The reasons it's not are complex, but I believe a big culprit is Religion, but that's another debate.
By philosophy i don't just mean academic philosophy, I mean asking\ exploring seemingly simple questions that children ask like
"when i see red, do you see the same colour". There is a stigma around philosophy that it's airy fairy , abstract and impratical. Formal education has no time for it. But If children where encouraged to keep asking and exploring the simple/deep questions instead of eventually being cut off after 'practical reality ' intervenes , I think the world would
be in better shape. To relate this to our host thread, how are you ever going to question gender roles if you are not in the habit of
questioning everything? i sound a bit romantic but I think\hope there's some truth in it.

Science, to me, is a no-brainer, it's the best way we have of generating knowledge that we can rely on and our best hope
for establishing the truth about natural phenomena. The fact we can never be certain is a virtue of science.
Everyone needs exposure to it, and the key facts from its many disciplines. It protects us from the dangers of religion,
We all live in the real world , and things in the real world seem to follow certain rules. Things like culture and gender roles are extremely
complex emergent phenomena but emergent from these rules, to not at least try to analyse them with science, would be a silly mistake,
we must be higly crtical and suspicious, but that's just what the scientific method entails anyway!
... well i could go on but i'm sure people are sick of me singing in praise of science. (i love u science xxx)

DuncheeKnifed said:
expierence counts for a hell of a lot and education does not just exist in the formal sense. i learned more in the three years after my
degree than i did in the three years i spent doing it. theoretical knowledge is all very well and good but formal education tends to be very
low on providing links to reality, which is a much better method of learning in my opinion.
experiental learning is crucial, i agree 100%. And herein lies another key point, if all you've experienced in life is male
dominated society then there is a danger you are going to become somewhat institutionalized. We need to be exposed
directly to different people with different viewpoints as early as possible. i think this argument
can stand in tandem with the argument that male agressive tendency implies male dominated society, one reinforces the other.

DuncheeKnifed said:
most of the men who you are talking about who are dominating roles of power and decision making in society are educated. also, i reckon
academically learned knowledge is awarded more authority in this society than self-learned or purely experiental knowledge.
I think we might agree now that they have been formally educated, Bush has, would anyone regard him as enlightened?
and i agree that formal educational qualifications are of little use in determining how self-aware and world aware a person
has become. It used to be possible for people to be true polymaths- experts in all fields of knowledge, it's not possible
to be an expert anymore, but it's still possible to get exposed to the key ideas in many fields. People
complain that they don;t have enough time and they're right, most of their education has been formal
and by the time they get to college (if they even go) they have to choose just one field.

DuncheeKnifed said:
yeah, what i meant was that many assumptions can be made as to what these indications of our 'natural' state mean. i mean that you have to
consider the standpoint of the archaeologists/anthropologists/etc. who make these findings and assumptions which could be insightful or
totally misguided. for example, i was in the museum in hobart in tasmania during the summer and they had one of those exhibits that shows
aborigines living as they did when the settlers found them. it was a pretty old exibit and was due to be updated shortly. in it an aboriginal
family was dipicted as a western family of mum, dad, and the kids when in actual fact the aboriginal family structure was very different to
this.
this i'm going to leave until i reply to jane's post.

DuncheeKnifed said:
i think you're gonna have to explain what you mean by conciousness and i fear this thread is due for some serious philosophic tangent action.

i fuckin' hate philosophy.
i'd be interested to know why you hate philospohy? I can guess at some reasons, there is so much pretension and bullshit that surrounds
it, too many people who like the sound of their own voice, however to me it's the questions philosphy asks that are the most important,
and the stabs you make to answer them, It's interesting and often enlightnening to read what people have come up with
but ultimately just wondering at the questions yourself is a rewarding experience.

consciousness is a fascintating one, what the hell is it?. However in the context of our discussion I want to try avoid philosophical
baggage and focus on the following things

1) mental state of a dog

2) mental state of an ape

3) mental state of a human child

4) mental state of an adult human

i'm suggesting an order there from the simplest to the most complex

now maybe consider

1) mental state of hungry human

2) mental state of sated human

again there is an order of complexity going on

now

1) mental state of educated human ( educated in the sense you and me agree on)

2) mental state of uneducated human

is it reasonable to suggest that person 1) might better or more/ often able to overcome
their behavorial tendencies be they biological or societal in origin than person 2) ?

It was provocative and inaccurate of me to refer to consciousness at all i reckon.

i think where people mostly haven taken issue with me however is that I attribute a lot more
importance to biological tendencey in determining human behaviour than they would.I feel (as super dexta already pointed out ) that people
are dimsissing a possible explanation (or at least a hugely important factor) of our
patriarchal society because they fear it might be a justification of it ? Maybe nobody here is doing it
and you just think i'm wrong, but as long as you asked yourself this question then i'd be happy !

i feel societal influence is extremely important too but I would argue that
that a lot this influence, especially in the context of gender roles, is itself
an emergent result of biological human behaviour.
I get the feeling I'm in a minority on this and it might be something we'll have to agree to dissagree on.
i'll try and expand a bit more in responding to Jane.

jane said:
I was going to steer clear of this thread for the sake of my nerves, but now I just have to step in. Yes, there certainly would be
archaeologists and evolutionary biologists who would subscribe to evolutionary determinism to explain gender roles, but most of us living in
the 21st century would not.
Unfortunately, a lot of museums have failed to update their exhibits (and not just the small museums, either), and academic archaeologists
are probably last in the race to start re-examining the way we interpret and communicate information. Anthropologists would set someone
straight on the matter. Or any anthropologist who'd read anything written in the last 15 years would, anyway.
this guy "Craig B. Stanford, Ph.D.Professor and Chair Department of Anthropology University of Southern California" : short abstract of his
thesis
is an anthropologist living in the twenthieth century with seemingly simliar views to me , I only just googled for this and gave it
a cursory read, so maybe he's full of shit and has been discredited, Apologies if that's the case.
I'm sure a counter google would reveal the dissenters. I'm not trying to catch you out, i'm just genuinely happy someone else might have a simliar
view! He starts out dismissing the 'man as hunter' view ( which i concede below anyway).

jane said:
There's a well-known anecdote (to archaeology geeks) involving a professor of palaeoanthropology teaching a class of students about
hunter-gatherers. Many of the female students were disappointed to hear that females may have been more likely to gather, and hunting may
have been done by men. They wanted there to be evidence that women were the hunters, and that men stayed home and swept the floors. The gist
of it is that they valued hunting more, not because it provided more nourishment (because, probably, the bulk of most early prehistoric
diets, and indeed a lot of early historic ones, was made up of plant foods), but because it was male. And the whole image of prehistory
remains -- at a fundamental level -- based on a 20th-century notion of a nuclear family. It's not that men were hunters, and therefore in a
better position to be the powerful in society, it's that hunting is seen as masculine and the masculine is seen as more valuable in the
present, and is projected onto the past as such, when we don't actually know one way or the other.

Why is hunting seen as masculine? where did this notion come from?
Why is society today partiarchal?. I'm genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on it especially since you
seem to believe that it has nothing to do with human biology and evolution.
I think I accept your and Dunchees's critique of popular notions of the 'men hunt, women nurture' idea/myth of prehistoric human
society. You suggest there is no evidence for that being the case , and on that basis alone i would have to discard my
assumption. However by studying the behaviour of great apes today, would you believe that we might
gain some insight into our modern society ?

jane said:
But regardless of how ancient cultures lived, we live in the present, and the way we live is not a direct result of how people lived 10,000
years ago. There are influences from the past, yes, but those influences are not handed down undistilled. They are a combination of actual
practices, and how those practices have been interpreted along the way.
The chief influence from the past is our evolutionary history, streching back beyond prehistoric society
Our genes are a massive influnece on our behaviour. People are so uncomfortable with this idea. i'm uncomfortable with it. i catch
myself doing little physical mannerisims my parents had, they seem too physically ingrained to be copied behaviour.
it goes much deeper also into the way you behave emotionally too. Fortunately it's not the be all and all and certainly not the justification
of our actions, it can be overcome with the help of our wonderful brain.

jane said:
Any time someone brings up prehistoric cultures as support for an argument that men are somehow naturally dominant or that there is evidence
for it in deepest human antiquity, I want to scream my head off until my tits fall off.Actually, I do have a lot to say on the issue. I just
think it's important to nip any evolutionary rubbish in the bud before it gets used to support an argument. Yes, there are biological
differences between women and men (I even saw a mickey once in a fillum), but that can neither explain nor justify the inequalities in
society. We are biologically programmed to shit in a squatting position on the ground, but it doesn't mean toilets suddenly have to become
passé. The relationship between the biological and the cultural and political is complex, indirect, and constantly changing.
here i have to say i see evidence for the conclusion that people are confusing/dismissing explanation with/for-fear-of justification.
But i accept now that we don't know enough about prehisotric cultures to say definiteively that 'men always hunted'.
and this is inadmissable evidence for why we have a patriarchal socitey. However it's not the evidence i originally
submitted yer honour. It was a tangent in relation to where societal views of gender roles come from.

Society is complex sure, but let's not forget we're biological beings, a bit of humility in our view
of ourselves might go a long way towards explaining our bad behahiour and overcoming it.

In my view our gender imbalance needs not only to be rectified it needs to be reversed!

a few of yous might be interested in this:

"Equality Studies Centre, UCD School of Social Justice

Public Lectures, Spring 2006

Current Research in Equality Studies

April 6th

Sara Cantillon
“Relative Deprivation, Burden of Coping and Women’s Psychological Health”

The aim of this series of public lectures is to share some of the Centre’s current research with a wider audience. The work presented includes research undertaken by staff of the Centre and recently completed PhD research.

All of the public lectures take place on Thursday evenings at 7:30 in Room L 503 (fifth floor of UCD James Joyce Library Building)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back