Interesting Buildings (1 Viewer)

View attachment 14588
The Hendron Building, which is about to get swallowed up by a 280-bed co-living development.
1611413615304.png

Like there is defintiely a lot of concrete doing nothing there but co-living is bullshit. I saw the plans doing the rounds on twitter. Looks like crap, architecture done by an accountant or something.

because half the new developments in dublin seem to be co-living, not so as to make a livable space, but simply to cram as many proles into the same space at one time, to maximise profits.

Got it. Thanks.

They have to do something in Dublin with higher density living arrangements. Dragging everyone in and out of the place every morning isn't reasonable, people need to be able to start living closer to where they work.

Got it. Thanks.

They have to do something in Dublin with higher density living arrangements. Dragging everyone in and out of the place every morning isn't reasonable, people need to be able to start living closer to where they work.
true, but these are 'student accomodation' sort of arrangements, rather than something which could be considered properly livable.

Can you imagine mid rona having to share a kitchen with 43 people. 3-4 in house share can manage these things to some extent.

Yeah. OK, if that's how they're doing it, it's not great.

Better than sleeping rough I suppose. I dunno, the rest of the fucking world has figured out how to do reasonable high density living in cities. I've been lving in apartments which are halfway houses and rehabs, and it's fine.

There's almost nothing wrong with living in apartments.

Yeah. OK, if that's how they're doing it, it's not great.

Better than sleeping rough I suppose. I dunno, the rest of the fucking world has figured out how to do reasonable high density living in cities. I've been lving in apartments which are halfway houses and rehabs, and it's fine.

There's almost nothing wrong with living in apartments.

I loved my apartment I was in. kinda spilling over from chats on another thread but what IReland are fucking up continually is the space that goes with apartments. The current pattern is to delete a house or two and replace it with 15 or more apartments, and plug in none of the things that make living nice or pleasant, i.e. parks and buses and all the rest. If these co-livings were going up and there was an allocation for parkland or allotments and playgrounds and the rest then I'd not be to bothered, but like, they want to put one ON TOP of the jervis centre.

why is co-living bullshit?
Everything that was mentioned above, and also you can't build a community if the neighbourhood is all student accommodation and co-living spaces. People can't move in together and have babies and raise families in these spaces, so it's going to have a constant turnover of uninvested folk just passing through. A proper mix of apartment types with two- and three-beds would be better for everyone but as Ann Post said it's "architecture done by an accountant", they've studied the guidelines and wrung every penny that they legally can out of the area available. The Minister for Housing has since announced a ban on co-living, but this scheme will be grandfathered in.

As for better than sleeping rough, these places do not come cheap, they're priced for young professionals.

Apartments are fine, if there's actually enough space to live comfortably and they are well built and actually have everything you need. We've had apartments in Ireland for decades, you know, places where 1 person can live in their own space. They're called bedsits, and are fairly well acknowledged as universally terrible because of the amount of them that are complete fucking shitholes owned by rip-off cunt landlords that don't have any actual renting standards to obey.
The current wave of 'Co-living development' in Dublin is literally just the next iteration of that bullshit. There is no thought given to space or comfort, it's literally just greedy bastards trying to figure out how many young people they can cram into the least amount of space.

All the points in the two posts above sum up everything wrong with them. No consideration to living space, amenities, community, nothing that would actually help this to provide solutions in any kind of longer term.
Just the usual FFG Ireland, pure rampant greed from developers that are mates with/buying the politicians.

The Hendrons building is a perfect example actually, it's a building that is absolutely crying out to be developed into a multi-purpose artistic/creative space that is in the perfect location for this and could actually really help foster engagement and interaction between the local community and students in the area, considering how close the new Grangegorman campus is as well as the already numerous student living developments in the area (there's already a big one literally on the same street).
Instead, greedy cunts just want to turn it into a student tenement.

I dunno... I don't know what I'm talking about I guess. The concept of co-living (I had to look up the formal definition) doesn't seem horrific to me. Ireland can of course do a terrible implementation of everything, and I suppose that's what it's doing.

The concept of apartment living is fine with me, even with kids.

Clearly I like Ireland, I don't think it's a hellscape, I think it's not a bad place to live at all. But the actual living accommodation, how we've done housing, is probably the worst example I've seen in the world.

Ireland has massively fucked up its housing. Santiago de Chile did a better job than Dublin. I mean... Budapest did a better job... I honestly can't think of anywhere I've been to that's screwed it up as badly as Ireland.

Everyone bangs on about it like it's this conundrum, how can we possibly deal with this mysterious problem?? That the rest of the world has figured out. We've tried nothing and we're out of ideas.

It's so easy to deal with this. Go to Copenhagen. Talk to the urban planning people there. Ask them to come to Dublin. Do what they say. How is Dublin re-inventing the tenement in 2021? We aren't a third world country. This is a solved problem.

60227557_1109304795860303_5520759595162664960_n.jpg
60149585_1109304835860299_9162587632457220096_n.jpg

Lybian city formerly know as Heliopolis

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back