Interesting Buildings (2 Viewers)

Also things like Willow Grove and Sycamore Lane..when they have razed everything to the ground to build the houses and there isn't a tree for miles.

Briarhill Shopping Centre Galway.

5a004dcd4b5a1.jpg

tinfoilemojii.exe

we say these words everyday, we don't really think hard about them as being meaningless but there is probably a part of the brain that at some point went 'briar hill = not briar / not hill if in east galway city/...' and it amplifies the meaningless words centre in the brain.

Where is thumpeds brain astrologist to tell me that this is bs.

5a004dcd4b5a1.jpg

tinfoilemojii.exe

we say these words everyday, we don't really think hard about them as being meaningless but there is probably a part of the brain that at some point went 'briar hill = not briar / not hill if in east galway city/...' and it amplifies the meaningless words centre in the brain.

Sounds legit to me.

the status of this building has been up in the air for a few years now; i think i read it was dublin's first art deco building.

Google Maps

also, it's built on the only road i know of in dublin which is actually a boreen (st. mobhi boithrin). though there must be more?

Price in punts. I was like 'where the fuck is this place' - and all I could find was some slightly mysterious 'four bodies were found at cyber plains' in 2000 (the above link is 1999) - so a hasty rebrand possibly?
a mate of mine bought a gaff there around then. They were mostly bought up by IT heads (my mate eventually leased his to Intel). The Cyber Plains thing was halted fairly quickly. The selling point was that all houses came with an internet connection. Once people found out that, all that meant was, they had a phone line, it became a bit too ridiculous.

The estate name was never Cyber Plains. Its called Rinawade and its by the second exit into Leixlip off the N4 (the one Intel and HP paid to have build).

the status of this building has been up in the air for a few years now; i think i read it was dublin's first art deco building.

Google Maps

also, it's built on the only road i know of in dublin which is actually a boreen (st. mobhi boithrin). though there must be more?

Bit of back searching on this:

sales listing:

and

from the above link which i'm copying because it looks like it'll be nixxed at any moment

G M Linzell, a Dublin builder, built "Wendon", now called Balnahowan, in Glasnevin Dublin, for his own use to a design by London architect Harold Greenwood in 1930. According to contemporary reports some features of the design and fittings were by Linzell.

A relatively large modern house for the time, with four bedrooms and a maids room, it was erected close to a development of 100 houses by Linzell and other nearby housing developments carried out by his father in law. Built of pre-cast concrete blocks with steel Crittall windows, it has a flat roof covered with Ruberoid.

Included in the very advanced features of the house were internal telephones, a refrigerator, dining and carving tables fitted with electric hot-plates, concealed lighting and fitted furniture designed by Linzell himself. Even more unusual for the time was near total reliance on central heating with only two open fireplaces. This was at a time when most Irish houses relied on coal fires as their only heating source, a situation that prevailed until the 1960's.

Photos 1999. The flower bed in front of the door was originally a fountain.

Its non existentent in the OSI maps pre 1913 and likely was just called that for marketing, given the art deco place was put up 17 years later along with other developments.

I can't find any images of what Balnagowan House looked like back in the day. It's pretty fucked now. Shame.

5a004dcd4b5a1.jpg

tinfoilemojii.exe

Did you know if you actually go inside the shopping centre, inside it's just a massive hill with loads of briars all over it?

Bit of back searching on this:

sales listing:

[/URL][/URL]

and

[/URL][/URL]

from the above link which i'm copying because it looks like it'll be nixxed at any moment
There is a really nice house on the Celbridge Road in a similar art deco style but in much better condition. It's hard to get a good look. I'd like to drive up to it under the pretense of looking for directions or something just to have a gawk at it.
screencapture-google-ie-maps-place-Celbridge-Rd-Co-Kildare-53-343337-6-5167057-164m-data-3m1-1...png screencapture-google-ie-maps-53-342357-6-516805-3a-37-5y-27-67h-84-72t-data-3m6-1e1-3m4-1sGU4M...png

There is a really nice house on the Celbridge Road in a similar art deco style but in much better condition. It's hard to get a good look. I'd like to drive up to it under the pretense of looking for directions or something just to have a gawk at it.
View attachment 14060View attachment 14061

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Took this photo of Wendon in 2017. It's ina more parlous state now. DNJGvbSWAAU6hvg.jpeg

Some of the heads I know squatted it 3 or 4 years ago and have photos of the interior. It really should be preserved and turned into something that affords the public access, a library, archive, cultural centre or something. I'd say the views from the roof must be astounding.

i think bord iascaigh mhara were in the building at one point? wonder if they rented it; if not, that might imply it's government owned?

i think bord iascaigh mhara were in the building at one point? wonder if they rented it; if not, that might imply it's government owned?

They were indeed. I think it is owned privately. There was talk of converting it into an old folks home attached to the Bon Secours as it backs on to it. I'm not sure but think it is currently for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back