Interesting Buildings (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
Casual / Uninformed 'architecture' thread where I post busaras every three years. Boring buildings with good anecdotes equally welcome. Must be a building, unless its an unrealted excuse to dig up the thread.

Anyways who knows why but I'm reading about nascar today, behold the hotel where it all began as an institution.

Streamline_Hotel_July_2018.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would let the Amish build me a log cabin

i'm just hoping the pandemic has kiboshed the plans to demolish the old corset factory beside the jervis centre.

Had to look that one up, found this nice read.

A friend had told me that the frieze was one of the oldest examples of a billboard in the world but that doesn’t seem likely now. Interesting reading now in the context today of monuments to slave owners being torn down.

Yeah was thinking that the other day. A lot of the argument seems to be Glorifying cunts vs Remembering history, and I guess the good thing about the Sunlight friezes are that they don't seem to be bigging up any one person. But then also isn't it also about having the knowledge to read them, like I would think the average Joe walking past wouldn't have a clue what the Sunlight friezes are for anyway, but if you do learn then surely it would be through learning the actual reality of what they represent, so I guess what I'm saying is it doesn't seem like there's any way to interpret these in a bullshit Empire manner in this case, even though that's what they would have originally been aimed at, so why bother removing them?

It is quite an interesting debate. If you go up to Kilmainham, there's a plaque dedicated to an Irish lad (James Graham) that closed the gates of Hougoumont farm to Napoleon at Waterloo, which is pretty much the whole turning point of the battle of Waterloo and the future of Europe. Graham died in Kilmainham hospital, he never really recovered from Waterloo. An unknowing regular Irish Joe might walk past that and kind of react "Uggh plaque to some prick that served for the Brits" without having any idea about what he'd actually done. In fact when I think about it, I don't think the plaque even properly explains it, I think it just says something like "Closed the gates at Hougoumont farm when under attack from the French" or something like that. The same Irish Joe would probably head down to Sheriff Street afterwards and graffiti all over Luke Kelly again.

Actually I hadn't thought about it really until now, but the statues thing is particularly relevant to Ireland. Just ask Lord Nelson! The Irish had no problem blowing up various remnants of the Brits, and who could argue? Reckon I'd take Nelson over the fuckin Spike mind.

And we re-named half of the streets and place names over the course of the 20th Century. Anyone been to Kingstown lately?

I get pretty annoyed by housing estates having stupid names. There is an amalfi court in letterkenny.
Amalfi is a merchant town/resort in southern italy. It is the townland of lisenan - which means ring fort.
But to anyone born post ahern-boom era that area is amalfi. A few thousand years of history diluted to mark a boomtime blip. Kinda hoping there is a bit of revision on a few of these.

I get pretty annoyed by housing estates having stupid names. There is an amalfi court in letterkenny.
Amalfi is a merchant town/resort in southern italy. It is the townland of lisenan - which means ring fort.
But to anyone born post ahern-boom era that area is amalfi. A few thousand years of history diluted to mark a boomtime blip. Kinda hoping there is a bit of revision on a few of these.
Last 10 houses at Cyber Plains go on sale

Price in punts. I was like 'where the fuck is this place' - and all I could find was some slightly mysterious 'four bodies were found at cyber plains' in 2000 (the above link is 1999) - so a hasty rebrand possibly?
Leixlip, near intel. The houses had a second phone line in a box room-sized office.

It was the 90s.

I don’t think the local council ever signed off on the marketing name so it was eventually given a “proper” name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back