Interesting Buildings (1 Viewer)

Cormcolash

Website
geocities.com
It's a long read, but well written.

What they have planned there looks like a fuckin monstrosity for sure.

In St Petersburg they have a really strict height limit for the city centre, because it's historic and beautiful, and they enforce the shit out of it. So when Gazprom wanted to build the Lakhta tower, the current tallest building in Europe, they had to do it way outside the city centre. Even then I think the 'city' was pissed at where they built it in the end for being a bit close. But it's nowhere near the city centre, actually it looks quite cool on it's own where it is; I'm sure the main thing they're trying to avoid in the city there is having a Moscow-style financial district with a load of massive skyscrapers beside each other, because having a big district like that would be totally out of place in St Petersburg. I saw the one in Moscow and it sits a bit better because Moscow has loads of big tower blocks all over the place and is a huge city in comparison really.

I actually saw a program recently that was about Urban Sprawl, think it was 'Eco Eye' or something, and it was all about Urban Sprawl in Cork and how there's loads of empty buildings just left to rot around the city centre, quite interesting program really.

Richie

It's a long read, but well written.

Jonny Ronan's go-to strategy historically was to make an obnoxiously over-scaled opening bid planning application that's twice the height he thinks he'll actually get permission for as a bargaining strategy with the planners, I assumed that's what this thing was about.. Though it may well be thanks to that stupid 2018 dictum from Eoghan Murphy overruling the council height restrictions (referenced in that letter) that he thinks he's above the system now.

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
What they have planned there looks like a fuckin monstrosity for sure.

In St Petersburg they have a really strict height limit for the city centre, because it's historic and beautiful, and they enforce the shit out of it. So when Gazprom wanted to build the Lakhta tower, the current tallest building in Europe, they had to do it way outside the city centre. Even then I think the 'city' was pissed at where they built it in the end for being a bit close. But it's nowhere near the city centre, actually it looks quite cool on it's own where it is; I'm sure the main thing they're trying to avoid in the city there is having a Moscow-style financial district with a load of massive skyscrapers beside each other, because having a big district like that would be totally out of place in St Petersburg. I saw the one in Moscow and it sits a bit better because Moscow has loads of big tower blocks all over the place and is a huge city in comparison really.

I actually saw a program recently that was about Urban Sprawl, think it was 'Eco Eye' or something, and it was all about Urban Sprawl in Cork and how there's loads of empty buildings just left to rot around the city centre, quite interesting program really.

There was some interesting stuff in that article about the relationship between these investment based projects that aren't really actually for people and the sprawl they cause.

Cormcolash

Website
geocities.com
There was some interesting stuff in that article about the relationship between these investment based projects that aren't really actually for people and the sprawl they cause.
Yeah that's why I mentioned the Cork city sprawl programme. That was urban sprawl though, not quite the same as the vertical sprawl in this article, but I bet every developer in Ireland would propose building massive tall shit as their ideal solution to urban sprawl.

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
i'm 90 minutes into that log cabin video so far. i think he'd have been finished ages ago if he didn't have to keep moving his camera.

the_jen

Supporter
Solutions
Planning permission denied for the application on the Hendron Building because of the impact on the protected structure. As co-living has now been banned by the Minister for Housing, a revised application will have to have proper (or better at any rate) accommodation arrangements.

JohnnyRaz

Yeah that's why I mentioned the Cork city sprawl programme. That was urban sprawl though, not quite the same as the vertical sprawl in this article, but I bet every developer in Ireland would propose building massive tall shit as their ideal solution to urban sprawl.

hold on - we're sprawling in 2 directions now? I'm behind the times..

Users who are viewing this thread

We're listening to...

• Joytime II
    Together
    Marshmello
    Joytime II

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads