indian.. (1 Viewer)

avernus

if anyone likes indian food, theres a fab new indian in swords called 'indie spice'. really lovely place and fab food. theres one in Belfast too.

www.indiespicecafe.com

had dinner there this evening and mmmboy. the mango ice cream is fabtabular also.

:p

I saw them two slappers who work in the hairdressers in Coronation Street pictured in the newspaper, at the launch of that place. so now.

One had an indian last night from the Bombay Pantry - fucking yummy. I had the Saag paneer whatchamacallit.

yes indeed. I just hope they dont go under, it deserves to be packed out with folk.

avernus said:
yes indeed. I just hope they dont go under, it deserves to be packed out with folk.
mmm hmm. packed. swords. I don't even believe in Swords.

Best Indian take away in my humble but extensive experience is Naz Balti in Rathgar. Good quality, not too oily, free papadums and starters are passable, unlike most Indian takeaways where starters are muck.
Spice and Rice gave me lamb in a Samosa when i'd ordered vegetarian. Now I'm all for taking precautions to make sure me dinner is meat free, but pulling apart each Samosa is a bit much. So they can fuck off.

I just made an Indian dinner tonight for my fambly. yum yum

Most Indian restaurants and takeaways in Dublin are complete shit aren't they? Oily greasy stodgy food that makes you feel like crap right after eating it. Only one I have been to that's any good is Jaipur in George's street (though that was a year or two ago so who knows what its like now). Also, can anyone explain to me why the menu in every single Indian restaurant is exactly the same? I've never been to India so I can't confirm this but it is a massive subcontinent and there is presumably widely varying styes of cuisine so the food does not consist exclusively of balti this and korma that and so on .... uuuggghhhhh.

See also:

Mexican food in Dublin
Chinese food in Dublin

Jaipur is lovely alright, as is Kinvara in Clontarf.

I went into Taste of India once for a horrendously awkward birthday of a friend who'd recently been an outlandish asshole. The waiter guy went to the "man of the table" for him to order for everyone. We of course were outraged. then our food was cold. we complained to the owner, who then gave us free drinks. nothing quite like an awful meal to coincide with awkwardness.

avernus said:
I went into Taste of India once for a horrendously awkward birthday of a friend who'd recently been an outlandish asshole. The waiter guy went to the "man of the table" for him to order for everyone. We of course were outraged. then our food was cold. we complained to the owner, who then gave us free drinks. nothing quite like an awful meal to coincide with awkwardness.
Ha! You know in China, people ordering individually in restaurants is unheard of. Thing to do is that one person (usually the person who is paying) orders food for everyone at the table (that person would of course accept suggestions). Food arrives and everyone digs in to everything. Its a brilliant system cos you get a bit of everything and don't suffer from the bollox-I-wish-I-had-ordered-that-instead kind of dinner envy. Not so brilliant for whoever is doing the paying though. Maybe its the same in India and yer man was being authentic or something ...

Actually best experience in a Chinese restaurant was at a friends stag do in Kilkenny. Food was okay but when we were having coffee the young Chinese waiter came out with a guitar (uninvited or announed) and treated us to a rendition of Bon Jovi's "Living On A Prayer". Amazing!

There's an Indian takeaway chain in Dublin called Spice & Rice which is very good. There's one on Dorset Street and Clanbrassil St and probably a few other places as well.

Not sure if it is the same one, but we went to one of those authentic Chineese cafes on Moore Street for the Duderlys birthday. Food was incredible and SO cheap, think the bill came to 99 euro including beers for 7 people. Must go back soon.

spiritualtramp said:
speaking of which, I read a review of a chinese place on Moore street which sounds amazing. The food is proper chinese food as opposed to chips and curry sauce.

Juno said:
There's an Indian takeaway chain in Dublin called Spice & Rice which is very good. There's one on Dorset Street and Clanbrassil St and probably a few other places as well.
Hmmmm.... I used to order from this place all right when I lived off Clanbrassil street. Went off it big time after a while though ... I dont think its great.

spiritualtramp said:
was it this place?
Yeah I think it was, sounds the same anyway and we did get served hapi beer. And the dumplings to start were great. However the bit where he says 'The customers all seemed a little surprised to see westerners' is a load of bollocks, the place was full of 'westerners' when we went.

Robbie Analog said:
Not sure if it is the same one, but we went to one of those authentic Chineese cafes on Moore Street for the Duderlys birthday. Food was incredible and SO cheap, think the bill came to 99 euro including beers for 7 people. Must go back soon.
Oh yeah I forgot about those gaffs. Ive been to one of them for grub before a gig in the Music Room and it was okay. There's a few of them there so its probably a bit hit and miss. Though werne't some of them closed down?? Been meaning to investigate further ...

Juno said:
Spice and Rice, Im ma huumble 'pinion, are awful. All bloody Indians *are* the same as far as menu content go, but Surma, opposite the Blaydin Hoss on Camden Street, do have a bit of variety.

I understand why many ethnic fooderies have such narrow menus though; it just wouldn't be economically viable to buy in ingredients for dishes that are probably not going to get ordered more than once or twice a night... as a nation we're only getting to grips with so many of the dishes in these places. My Da always goes for whatever is closest to a steak on the menu, even though he eats veggie weird grub whenever I cook it for him at home.

I'd love to go somewhere and eat good Chinese food but I really don't think it's possible as a vegetarian. I've found all Chineses in Dublin, except Youngs takeaway in Rathmines, to serve gelatinous shit loaded down with MSG.

yeah, i've been there. it's nice allright.
avernus said:
if anyone likes indian food, theres a fab new indian in swords called 'indie spice'. really lovely place and fab food. theres one in Belfast too.

www.indiespicecafe.com

had dinner there this evening and mmmboy. the mango ice cream is fabtabular also.

:p

the northen palace on moore st is amazing.
its the last one at the top of the street, upstairs above a russian delicatessen. the menu is at least twice as big as the nearest typical dublin chinese, and the food is wonderful.

proper authentic dishes too, like pig trotters and (kirsties favourite if i remember correctly) squid ring.
huge veggie menu too

the portions are ridiculously big too. myself and the wan went recently, got one main course of deep fried aubergines between us. i had a side order of chili noodles and she got boiled rice.
the side order was big enough to be a dinner in itself. we left absolutely stuffed and the bill for food came to €11

insane

i *am* a little unsure about the washing machine in the toilet though ;)

I'm a little unsure of the toilet, full stop.

Food is ace, the dumplings with mystery meat are mmmmlicious, and what girl doesn't like squid ring, I ask you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back