incredible string band = deadly (1 Viewer)

cool picture. i think they've split again now, havent they? has anyone gone to see them in recent years? i went to a gig in the olympia in (i think) 2001. it was pretty good. robin williamson had his wife in the band and she couldnt sing a note but warbled quite charmingly nonetheless. it didnt really have the magic of old but it had its moments - namely "painting box" and mike herons solo tune "singing the dolphin through" which was the highlight of the night.

robin williamson had his wife in the band and she couldnt sing a note but warbled quite charmingly nonetheless.

_38058567_wings150.jpg

i enjoyed the joe boyd book too but there wasnt much meat in it. the ISB stories were entertaining though - the scientology, robin williamson and that licky one being pricks, woodstock etc. the woman who didnt get go missing is a mayor in wales or something like that now.

clive palmer, who left ISB after the first album (but joined again for the last few years) has made some deadly albums - the two C.O.B. albums are amazing, even better than ISB i'd say. "All roads lead to land" from a couple of years ago is really nice too (get it here).

Joe Boyd = best rock read I've had in ages.

COB Moyshe McStiff.... rocks

Incredible String Band's Wee Tam / The Big Huge is the latest I got to. Up to then = deadly. Afterwards?

Joe Boyd = best rock read I've had in ages.

COB Moyshe McStiff.... rocks

Incredible String Band's Wee Tam / The Big Huge is the latest I got to. Up to then = deadly. Afterwards?

it all goes pear shaped after that. at least... liquid acrobat as regards the air, changing horses and hard rope and silken twine are pretty crap imo. i've not heard anything good about any of the other post wee tam / big huge albums so i've pretty much given up on that avenue. there's enough in the first five albums to keep me going...

she had funny teeth and no knickers according to this -
joeboydbook.jpg

the ISB became scientologists tho didn't they...:eek:

A good read but shows up how many producers were really just the drug supplier.
I love the name 'Licorice McKechnie'.

He gives only 10 lines to Vashti Bunyans LP...one of my favorite artists EVAH.

clive palmer, who left ISB after the first album (but joined again for the last few years) has made some deadly albums - the two C.O.B. albums are amazing, even better than ISB i'd say. "All roads lead to land" from a couple of years ago is really nice too (get it here).

I'm actually totally into the first album at the moment, I was expecting it to be a bit 'straight' but it's just deadly... shows they were amazing musicans and songwriters from the word go.... the swine...

they were probably all about 16 or something too....

Everyone should ready Dazzling Stranger, its a Jansch biog but goes really broad on the folk scene, very dry and academic but it's a wealth of stories and information and mad heads that never made it...

Them folk clubs seemed like the best fun ever

Everyone should ready Dazzling Stranger, its a Jansch biog but goes really broad on the folk scene, very dry and academic but it's a wealth of stories and information and mad heads that never made it...

Them folk clubs seemed like the best fun ever

i think i read that. i thought it was odd that the guy wrote a book about jansch when he seemed to think that jansch was only good and worth a listen up to about 1966 and for the first 2 or 3 albums. all the folk club stuff club was cool and i enjoyed all the bitching about ewan mcoll.

What was that string band song about a cloud asking to have its string pulled, and it sheds a tear?

yeah, rubbish

Yeah the other day I was absolutely loving A Very Cellular Song by ISB. It's just schizo. I've a mad uncle in Donegal, and when I was a young child I used to thumb through his record collection and get scared when he'd suddenly catch me hypnotised by some far-out inlay sleeve on an ISB record, "Ye like that sonny" he'd say with his wild eyes blazing above his beard....useta think he was in the incredible string band. Apparently they were/are a big influence on the Boards of Canada sound.

Yeah,its a belter.

I have it on mono vinyl......NOICE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back