In defence of hipsters (1 Viewer)

Just on the Latin translation, Google translate uses multilingual pages to 'learn' languages. So maybe if a website elsewhere with the same structure but different Lorem Ipsum placeholder texts on different language pages gets used, things can get a bit weird.

Related:

In an introductory video titled Inside Google Translate, Google explains how the translation engine works, the sources of the engine’s intelligence, and its limitations. According to Google, its Translate service works “by analyzing millions and millions of documents that have already been translated by human translators.” The video continues:

“These translated texts come from books, organizations like the United Nations, and Web sites from all around the world. Our computers scan these texts looking for statistically significant patterns. That is to say, patterns between the translation and the original text that are unlikely to occur by chance. Once the computer finds a pattern, you can use this pattern to translate similar texts in the future. When you repeat this process billions of times, you end up with billions of patterns, and one very smart computer program.”

Here’s the rub:

“For some languages, however, we have fewer translated documents available, and therefore fewer patterns that our software has detected. This is why our translation quality will vary by language and language pair.”

Via http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/08/lorem-ipsum-of-good-evil-google-china/

Anyway it looks to me like someone used a semi-random Lorem Ipsum generator to fill in bits of their page template and then forgot to change it.

I was down in Florida in 2006 and hipsters were by then a recognised phenomenon, even in small town Florida. Hipsterdom for them was drinking PBR, hanging out in a bar that required you to be a member to get in (my then girlfriend was a bar tender so I got a pass) and wearing wacky clothing. Nice people, they hadn't yet developed any pretension and there was a few non-hipsters who would bring them down to earth if they got too crazy. That was a good summer.

Hipsters were ironically calling themselves hipsters here as early as 2004, for sure.

This hipster girl I knew used to have a big bracelet that said Hipsters Need Vacations Too

I thought she was the coolest thing in the world tbh. She was also a Suicide Girl.

I never heard the term in MN or it didn't register with me. I did sort of feel that when it became mainstream that it was a bit late to the party.

When i was back in chicago a few years later craft beers micro brew was in full flow.

13600046_10154327406748055_3699370349056221137_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back