In defence of hipsters (1 Viewer)

they were sort of goth-lite weren't they?

they're broke up now

I saw them supporting the Manic Street Preachers in Smithfield when I was in college. At that time, both bands were very interested in snow, autumn, things blowing in the wind, etc. JJ72 dedicated a song to nerds and goth-lites alike, both of whom who I scorned (as a complete jock and former captain of the school lacrosse team).

Well that adbusters article is as silly as the scene it's attempting to deride.

"Hipsters"
That's a stupid recycled term for a past counterculture anyway, co-opting the past rather than creating something of your own.

Personally I refer to these distastefully dressed, self obsessed, pleasure seekers (ie people younger than me) as "Trendoids". Says a lot more to me than "hipster" anyday.

and how long did punk/hippies/mods/metallers last before the majority of the "scene" became little more than fashion trends.

Anyone have any idea what a "scenester" is supposed to be? I've had that label attached to myself before. Am I right in thinking it's because i never became a tribal metaller/indie kid/raver/b-boy/scarf wearing twat but instead attended gigs from a wide range of genres, never fully immersing myself in one to the detriment of all others?

Am i a fake?

there pages and no mention of those pants that show your arse crack?

oh thumped

Anyone have any idea what a "scenester" is supposed to be? I've had that label attached to myself before. Am I right in thinking it's because i never became a tribal metaller/indie kid/raver/b-boy/scarf wearing twat but instead attended gigs from a wide range of genres, never fully immersing myself in one to the detriment of all others?

Am i a fake?

You are in the eyes of lots of people, particularly in the UK rather than Ireland. I prefer the term "genre butterfly" myself (I just made that up, but I like it!)

I've been called a weekender, part-timer, lightweight etc for not committing to one particular scene. But do I care? Nah! Life's too short to be a punk/ mod/ neo-psychedelic folkie, and anyone who looks down on people who aren't from their own little scene isn't worth talking to.

This outlook probably comes from my teenage years in Dublin when there was never enough going on in any one scene to engage me enough. I think the tribalism in the UK might stem from having too much on offer.

I saw them supporting the Manic Street Preachers in Smithfield when I was in college. At that time, both bands were very interested in snow, autumn, things blowing in the wind, etc. JJ72 dedicated a song to nerds and goth-lites alike, both of whom who I scorned (as a complete jock and former captain of the school lacrosse team).

I hope you dished out a few edgies or at least paddlings?

hhhhhmmmmm well it does make more sense than this
http://www.thegrimescene.com/

so are they rapper feens ?

what grime crew do you want to join, I reckon the mucky wolfpack are the wan for me.

that site reminds me of one of my most embarrasing drunken stories.

I was out on the town in London a few years ago and was well sauced up from loads of lovely newcastle brown ale. anyways we were in camdan and the were loads of the dodgy lookin black blokes about, sellin weed. So I thought some dope would be nice so I went up ta one of the blokes to get the dope, Being really drunk and loud ,and not wantin ta look like a square infront of the drugdealer ,I started making slurred smalltalk "aboy da kid, hows business, how much would ya make a week" etc. Anyways he tells me to shut up and says something about the PO-PO, at which point I grabbed him by the neck and went ta hit him when the misses sez what the fuck are ya doin. I sez "this cunt is after callin me a telly tubby"

probably not very hip

Gawd I hate kulaks ..I mean hipsters.

I didn't realise the revolution was coming to our shores so soon. Time to wipe the dust off my Stereophonics cds. I hope you kept yours.

I'm a hipster

here's me and on of my hipster pals deciding which bar to go to

mens-fashion-70s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back