Imelda May (1 Viewer)

ah here..let's attack all contemporary music I like

But in case there is doubt..Imelda is really great. The poppy singles aren't a true reflection of what she is capable of

I haven't been able to watch the TV show

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Meh. Admittedly, I just had a skim through that but I didn't think she sounded anything special there. I don't like that kind of music full stop so maybe that has something to do with it.

I see she's playing the Cork Jazz Festival as well now. As I said, she's operating in a vacuum.

I'm not sure about the vacuum thing. I've seen reviews saying she needs to branch out of the rockabilly schtick. But do people think," jimmy cliff , another reggae record...sigh" or "waylon Jennings needs to contemporise..throw some auto tune on there"

For what's it's worth I'm no big fan but I think she is good at what she does.

I'm not sure about the vacuum thing. I've seen reviews saying she needs to branch out of the rockabilly schtick. But do people think," jimmy cliff , another reggae record...sigh" or "waylon Jennings needs to contemporise..throw some auto tune on there"

Well, it's probably couched in the context of if she wants to broaden her appeal.

Like Gwen Stefani dropping the ska band and singing pop. Or Taylor Swift dropping country.

They don't play Waylon Jennings on the radio like.

Yeah I get that. But there are many musicians operating within the confines of their chosen genre who don't feel any need to change what they do in order to appeal to a wider audience. That's all I'm saying.

There's a way of doing it that isn't just pastiche, right? Say with this Pretenders song, it's retro as hell, it's almost like a Peggy Lee song before the guitar enters... but still sounds like far too modern for Imelda to do:

Mind you, pretty sure Imelda May outsells the Pretenders by a significant margin these days so what the hell do I know?

I tend to roll my eyes when people presume they have some right to tell people what to do with or how they should make their art

Well thank god no one is doing that in this thread then.

Here @Diddles what kind of vacuum is she operating in? I'm confused by that bit.

A lot of successful artists have that pressure on them though. Witness all the abominable disco records foisted upon country, MOR, crooner etc. acts in the 1970s. Dolly Parton seems to have been the only one who benefited from that fad.

I think at the time Imelda came out rockabilly was a bit faddish and to people not deeply invested in it, it seems a bit out of date again. No doubt there'll be a rockabilly revival revival revival a few more years down the line.

My biggest problem with her is I don't think much of the songs she sings, regardless of style. She should get me or Gaz to write a tune for her to belt out. I think she looks and sounds great and has charisma coming out of every pore but the material always seems decidedly meh.

Yeah I get that. But there are many musicians operating within the confines of their chosen genre who don't feel any need to change what they do in order to appeal to a wider audience. That's all I'm saying.

Sure whatever you want, whatever you like, you pay your money, you take your choice.

The wrong expression to use really, I suppose I mean that it seems like she's no real competition in this country, and that's why she's getting all the gigs.
That makes sense, she's moving into the market where her competition are all twice her age.

@GO I think you should start writing for that age-bracket. I'd love to hear you take a shot at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back