I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

I only looked now at the price - was expecting something outrageous like 80 quid !!
missed this the first time.
I see they have 'burn in time' as a service.
you can have up to 5 days taken of the lifespan of your designed to fail component. savage.

I want to see them market some audiophile tinfoil to wrap around your audiophile fuses to keep them in used mint condition

there is *some* merit to having a 'clean' electricity supply - and people use mains conditioners for that - but i simply cannot fathom how anyone could be taken in by a fuse resulting in a better class of electricity supply. well, i could, i suppose.
if it was down to simply protecting your equipment from a power surge, there are cheaper and more effective solutions than that.

there is *some* merit to having a 'clean' electricity supply - and people use mains conditioners for that - but i simply cannot fathom how anyone could be taken in by a fuse resulting in a better class of electricity supply. well, i could, i suppose.
if it was down to simply protecting your equipment from a power surge, there are cheaper and more effective solutions than that.

ah but they are not audiophile power surge protectors. I'd say they'd be in the 'selling kidneys' price bracket

One of the things I do in my job is measure brain activity - right down to individually spiking neurons. This requires a super clean signal, as the “volume” of neurons is very, very, very low and they communicate very, very, very quickly. Yet it can be accurately done using the same “dirty” electricity supply that audiophiles can’t use, with cheaper components than they buy, and digitally without any loss of important signal (no need for analogue unlike AAA-udiophiles). And instead of stereo I can do it in 64 channels.

One of the things I do in my job is measure brain activity - right down to individually spiking neurons. This requires a super clean signal, as the “volume” of neurons is very, very, very low and they communicate very, very, very quickly. Yet it can be accurately done using the same “dirty” electricity supply that audiophiles can’t use, with cheaper components than they buy, and digitally without any loss of important signal (no need for analogue unlike AAA-udiophiles). And instead of stereo I can do it in 64 channels.
ah yeah but you lose the lovely midtones and the almost holographic stereo presence.

A well mastered record should sound good on any system.

Actually @magicbastarder does your colleague have his room treated at all? If not the gear is kinda pointless as the room will have a huge effect on the sound.

don't know - he moved to his new place in the last year or so and i've never been there. but he brought his hi-fi dealer out to help him decide on speaker placing, etc.

i think i mentioned before that when i was collecting an amp after repair in cloney audio, i was chatting i think to noel cloney, and mentioned that my speakers sit in a bay window which is possibly Very Bad; i'd noticed a 'hole' in the bass, but his reaction was 'are the floors concrete or suspended wood? suspended wood? rip them up, pour concrete, and then come back to me'.

don't know - he moved to his new place in the last year or so and i've never been there. but he brought his hi-fi dealer out to help him decide on speaker placing, etc.

i think i mentioned before that when i was collecting an amp after repair in cloney audio, i was chatting i think to noel cloney, and mentioned that my speakers sit in a bay window which is possibly Very Bad; i'd noticed a 'hole' in the bass, but his reaction was 'are the floors concrete or suspended wood? suspended wood? rip them up, pour concrete, and then come back to me'.
so thats where you got those oak floorboards then? ;-)

many years ago I worked in an animal feed plant, in the lab, testing stuff.

There was a handyman welder in his early 60's who was one of those guys who if he had the access to education would probably have ended up in academia. Very smart and more than a little eccentric.

he was a serious audiophile, used to regal me about making his own amps, speakers he bought etc. after one particular purchase he told me

''it sounds like Red Hurley is right there in the room with you''

what I took from this exchange was that it doesnt matter what system you have, if your taste in music is shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back