I'm going to buy a record player................... (2 Viewers)

I got one of these spin clean washer things last year, it's a pain in the hole but it works surprisingly well. The price of this plastic tub is ludicrous but you're a record nerd so you'll pay. Don't use the drying cloths that come with it, just let them dry naturally.
View attachment 13974
Then get a Milty Zerostat 3 anti static gun to help keep them static and dust free but don't do it like this guy in the picture, it doesn't work if you do it with the record on the turntable

View attachment 13975

Get a hand bellows thing like this to blow the dust off the record. You can use the little brushes to gather the dust and then blow it off with this thing
View attachment 13976
Throw away the inner sleeve that came with the record and store your washed, zapped and blown records in expensive anti-static inner sleeves.
I can second the Spin Clean, it’s great, but after that all you need is a decent anti-static brush and to basically put your records away after playing.

I'm totally ready to spend £500 on a setup under the misguided assumption it'll make me (a) listen to and (b) appreciate music a bit more. My current set-up is ancient (don't laugh nerds plz) - Aural Envelope ex300 speakers with a Pioneer A-107 amp, Sony CD player, Rega RP1 (that bit can stay!) and Chromecast Audio bolted on. Purchased off an old Thumpeder many years ago when they were moving abroad. You could probably put it all together today for peanuts apart from the turntable.

Those speakers Dudley recommended look great. Just the kind of thing I'm after and I also like the look of the Denon DM41 DAB to look after streaming and CDs.

And I want one of them cleaning yokes too because none of my records have ever been cleaned.

Reading those audiophile forums can be dangerous. They get into your head. You start thinking..."maybe I do need to upgrade my ____________"

Just bought a Rega Planar 3 (turntable) on ebay for 240 quid. They sell new for 800 or so. The catch is that it doesn't work - but I'm fairly confident it can be fixed easily by the dude in the Hifi Hospital in Kells (who I totally recommend) and then I'll have a totally kick-ass turntable to go with my recently refurbished amp.

Here's hoping anyway ...
Does this turntable have adjustable feet to help level it? I don't think it does, from what I can gather

You could make a little "table" with adjustable feet and use that.

However,consider what material etc its made from as someone somewhere will say it will have a negative impact on the sound.

Has anyone invested a bit in speaker cable and decided that either it makes a genuine difference even on what would be called a budget set-up or the whole cable debate is mostly nonsense?

I've got a new amp and a pair of the Monitor Bronze 2s on the way and have some cable which I assume is basic stuff powering my current speakers. A few websites seem to offer refunds if you're not happy with cable supplied but at the same time it's nearly £50 for a couple of "award winning" cables and that's a the cheapest end of the scale!

Decent gauge (depends on length) OFC electrical cable will be just as good as any audiophile bullshit.

in the market for new speakers

can any of you recommend a good shop/site to buy from. within Ireland. Ideally with decent after sales service

Bought my current pair from Richer in Belfast about ten years ago, they were brilliant to sort issues after sales and might go with them again but want to see what's out there first

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back