I'm going to buy a record player................... (3 Viewers)

Stating the bleeding obvious but as far as buyintg hi-fi equipment (or anything, I suppose) whatever you're budget is it important do some research before buying anything. There's loads of reviews out there.
Yeah. it's overwhelming

This is what I have

A Rega RP1 with upgrades
A Marantz PM5004 amp,
A Marantz CD6004 cd player
2 Q-acoustics 2020i speakers.

The audiophiles wouldn't be impressed but its good entry level gear.

I have a Marantz Model 4070 Quadradial amp that is 47 years old and still going strong. Can you believe that shit? Can you even imagine any Apple or Samsung product still working after 47 years?!!

This is what I have

A Rega RP1 with upgrades
A Marantz PM5004 amp,
A Marantz CD6004 cd player
2 Q-acoustics 2020i speakers.

The audiophiles wouldn't be impressed but its good entry level gear.

I have the Rega RP1 also. Lately when I turn it on there's a squealing nose as it starts turning. The noise disappears after a couple of seconds but I hope that doesn't mean the beginning of the end. Suppose, at least, it would be the cheapest part of the setup to replace.

I have the Rega RP1 also. Lately when I turn it on there's a squealing nose as it starts turning. The noise disappears after a couple of seconds but I hope that doesn't mean the beginning of the end. Suppose, at least, it would be the cheapest part of the setup to replace.

You may just need to get some grease for the belt. Should be googleable for your model

It's got a built in pre-amp, and the seller gave me a simple external pre-amp of I want to use it. How does one gauge the Ohm-age of these things?
I have some second hand speakers from a cheapo Sanyo hi-fi from the 80's, they work and sound fine but i'll defo be upgrading at some point,

the amp i bought had this in its technical details:

Power output2 x 23 W / 35 W at 8 ohms/4 ohms (both channels driven)

which i half understand.

I looked at the speakers and they had this sticker on them, So, i guess it matches? Certainly it sounds fine to me.
IMG_20190329_110709.jpg

I've been using second hand cheap stuff for 20 years now but a few months back I figured it was about time I actually spent some money. Ended up getting a decent (lower-medium end) set up together, stuck with the same makers for all the equipment with the vague (possibly misguided) idea that they'd put a bit of extra effort in ensuring their stuff works well together.

Pro-Ject Essential III turntable

into

Pro-Ject Tube Box DS pre amp

into

Pro-Ject Stereo Box S2

into

dem cheap speakers up there

I had all sorts of problems with a faulty pre-amp and ended up shipping it back to Germany for a replacement and using a 15 quid yoke for a month or so. Finally got the replacement pre-amp today and I have to say, it makes a huge difference, but be damned if I can say exactly what it is that has improved. Could be all in my mind.

I've been using second hand cheap stuff for 20 years now but a few months back I figured it was about time I actually spent some money. Ended up getting a decent (lower-medium end) set up together, stuck with the same makers for all the equipment with the vague (possibly misguided) idea that they'd put a bit of extra effort in ensuring their stuff works well together.

Pro-Ject Essential III turntable

into

Pro-Ject Tube Box DS pre amp

into

Pro-Ject Stereo Box S2

into

dem cheap speakers up there

I had all sorts of problems with a faulty pre-amp and ended up shipping it back to Germany for a replacement and using a 15 quid yoke for a month or so. Finally got the replacement pre-amp today and I have to say, it makes a huge difference, but be damned if I can say exactly what it is that has improved. Could be all in my mind.

It’s funny that Pro-Ject don’t really do amps with built-in preamps given that they are really known for turntables. Does that Stereo Box have much welly to it?

It’s funny that Pro-Ject don’t really do amps with built-in preamps given that they are really known for turntables.
They have their whole "phono" series that has one

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/essential-iii-phono/

I don't know how new that stuff is though

Does that Stereo Box have much welly to it?
Ah yeah, considering how tiny it is. You wouldn't want to run a nightclub with it but for home use I haven't had to push it past about halfway up.

So I'm going to upgrade my turntable. Anyone want to buy my one? I actually have two.

1.Project debut ll - this is the one that doesn't have a preamp so you need a phono input on your amp or a preamp. One problem - I took off the hinges on the cover so you lift it completely off and on. No big deal. Just slightly annoying. 100 quid.

2. Similar to above but it's the version with the preamp and has got less usage. 150 quid.

Any takers? In Dublin 8.
Hi Hugh, do you still have these for sale?

Got one Project debut turntable that I don't need anymore. See above. It's the first one. Needs a power cable. You need an amp with a phono input for it. I think it works fine but haven't tried it in a while. Anyone want it? For free if you can collect from D8. @travispickle ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back