I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

Ordered a Bang and Olufsen one off ebay. Bit of a risk when I coulda gotten a few over the counter brand-news for the same money, but, they look absolutely deadly.

Well, it arrived.

Wasn't pushed on using a DIN adaptor from 1985 to 2002 stereos so I hacked and old thing lying around into an RCA breakout box.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

These guys balance aesthetics and actual sound quality so well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So far,

I recommend, though i've one more tiny patch to do on it before i'd give it the 'spend your money' safety cert.

I dropped a few of my family's record players into the hiding hospital yesterday. The guy really knows his stuff and has convinced me that I really need to aim higher than I'd intended when buying a new record player. He told me of a guy who destroyed an original pressing of dark side of the moon by playing it on a shitty Agros player. I'd thought that the stories of cheap players ruining records were exaggerated.

There are a lot of old links here so where do I start?
I want a good turntable, amp and speakers. Space is an issue. I'm no audiophile so it doesn't have to be top of the range.
Any suggestions on a package deal or a Dublin based shop I could visit?

I dropped a few of my family's record players into the hiding hospital yesterday. The guy really knows his stuff and has convinced me that I really need to aim higher than I'd intended when buying a new record player. He told me of a guy who destroyed an original pressing of dark side of the moon by playing it on a shitty Agros player. I'd thought that the stories of cheap players ruining records were exaggerated.

I want a good turntable, amp and speakers. Space is an issue. I'm no audiophile so it doesn't have to be top of the range.
Adverts is full of great record players!

Just make sure you can source a new stylus for it beforehand

I'm in a similar situation, I definitely need to invest in decent everything. Right now I just have some 80's system that plays records noticeably too fast. I'm half wondering if the vinyl craze will die a death and i'll pick up a decent player for cheap in about 2 years.

I went to Cloney Audio a few years back to get myself set up; I only had about €1200, but they set me up with a turntable, amp and speakers - all good brands, Dual Turntable, Q Acoustic Speakers, Rotel amp. They're all entry level but good quality; the turntable is due an upgrade but everything else is still working fine. The guy from Cloney was great at advising on best quality for my price range; so they may be worth a visit.
There's a hi-fi section upstairs in Tower now too and they seem to have affordable stuff in there.

This would be a decent start up turntable -
Rega Planar 2 Turntable - Black

So I'm going to upgrade my turntable. Anyone want to buy my one? I actually have two.

1.Project debut ll - this is the one that doesn't have a preamp so you need a phono input on your amp or a preamp. One problem - I took off the hinges on the cover so you lift it completely off and on. No big deal. Just slightly annoying. 100 quid.

2. Similar to above but it's the version with the preamp and has got less usage. 150 quid.

Any takers? In Dublin 8.

How much should one pay for a pre-amp? Obviously I'm going to settle with some serious snake oil but if I was in any way discerning what would I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back