I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

also if i buy a load of different Hi FI stuff - amp, turntable, cassette deck etc. is it standard for it to be compatible ?

Yeah most stuff is very standard and compatible except what @Cornu Ammonis said there need's to be a specific "phono" input for record players allot of them would have that though especially older amps

giphy.gif

Not anymore.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I got a new needle and played a fresh never played before record the other day and it still sounded pretty crap. I was in a HMV the other day and they were playing the store music from one of those Toy looking record players. Anyway it sounded crystal clear and deadly. My point? I dunno

going through a more powerful amp and more expensive house speakers.
or not. I dont know.

What is the difference between getting a turntable for 150 euro and getting one for, say, 350? What does that 200 euro extra get you? I don't understand the pricing on turntables to save my life. Basically, at what point does it become snakeoil?

I paid an extra hundred for arm made of some stuff that cost a hundred more than the standard arm. The shop keeper convinced me that the audio clarity was worth it although I doubt that I'd notice the difference. Basically you can't trust shop keepers to tell you is my point.

They will have a different design and be built out of different materials and parts. Expensive record player will try to be very precise and reduce any kind noise which is maybe not what you want! Mine was expensive and the main reason I bought it was because I didn't want one that would break after a year unfortunately a really stupid design fault allowed water to gather up where the circuit board is so I have loads of trouble with it. Dugleys recommendation on the previous page seems good I think if you're looking to buy one.

can anyone point me to where I might buy some speaker cables (or even specific cables you might recommend). I mean the cables from the speaker to the amp/pre-amp.

thanks.

I'm not sure speaker cables once you hit an acceptable level of quality (build) make a huge difference.

Like the reason to use gold coated things is because it doesn't corrode so it wont spread corrosion and dirty up connections from device to device. It does not effect audio. electrons gonna electron.

I'm not sure speaker cables once you hit an acceptable level of quality (build) make a huge difference.

Like the reason to use gold coated things is because it doesn't corrode so it wont spread corrosion and dirty up connections from device to device. It does not effect audio. electrons gonna electron.

yeah, cheers, I was thinking the same thing.

I might just go for something cheap and cheerful from Maplins. Seems like they'll be more than adequate for my needs.

yeah, cheers, I was thinking the same thing.

I might just go for something cheap and cheerful from Maplins. Seems like they'll be more than adequate for my needs.
I think you have to buy a whole reel of cable in maplins, i went in looking for some there. I ended up getting some cheap shitty looking thin stuff in the local hardware shop for a few cents a meter. I can't tell if there's any drop in audio quality from the previous thicker cable which wasn't long enough for my current residence.

I think you have to buy a whole reel of cable in maplins, i went in looking for some there. I ended up getting some cheap shitty looking thin stuff in the local hardware shop for a few cents a meter. I can't tell if there's any drop in audio quality from the previous thicker cable which wasn't long enough for my current residence.
according to the website its sold by the metre. I'll pop in one of the days for a look. Seems theres lots of options if you want cable with the jacks/connectors already attached, but fuck all if you with it without those.

ended up getting the full reel in Maplins. 20 squids for a lot of it so that wasn't too bad.

have it all sorted now. I'll get a tuner next year when my finances eventually settle again.

All I'll need then is to work on getting a good taste in music.

All I'll need then is to work on getting a good taste in music.

Let somebody else do that for you

Vinyl Me, Please |

Each month they ship subscribers a color vinyl variant and/or reissue of a contemporary classic. For example, this year they’ve dished up Wilco’s A.M., Hot Chip’s In Our Heads, The Ben Webster Quintet’s Soulville, and Jay Dilla’s Donuts.

Although the music isn’t exclusive, their releases do include exclusive inserts, custom art prints, cocktail recipes, and (as previously mentioned) the colored variants are exclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back