I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

I got a cork mat yesterday. Must do an A/B with the felt mat.
There is supposed to be less record slippage.

i have a ten year old small sized Sony turntable (cost 150) but for quite a few years it has been getting stuck in a groove when playing
if i tap on the floor it starts moving again no problem.
this has happened with about 100 records so it's hard to pin point why it happens.
but it never actually skips which is different.
i wanted to buy a new turntable for a long time but would prefer something that i can use with old 300 euro Aiwa Hi Fi (from about 2003).
i bought something with a cartridge turntable once and it wasn't compatible with my equipment. i had no idea what do with it short of buying new equipment.
if i bought an RP 1 could i use it with what i have ? (great !) or do i have to buy a whole new set of separates if i want a better turntable? (pain in the head).

also if i buy a load of different Hi FI stuff - amp, turntable, cassette deck etc. is it standard for it to be compatible ?
thanks very much if you can help with this.
forgive my ignorance but i don't anyone else who has bought a turntable in maybe twenty years...

I got a cork mat yesterday. Must do an A/B with the felt mat.
There is supposed to be less record slippage.

Got one this week myself. The main plus is the absence of static when I liff the record off. With the felt mat I'd have to peel it away from the record and put it back on the spindle every time I lifted a record off. A total faff.

Sound-wise though, it seems to have an adverse effect on my system. The bass is louder but it's a more 'blurry' type of boost. The Beatles mono reissues sounded fantastic on the felt mat but have been disappointed with every one i've tried on the cork mat. Maybe I need to adjust my tracking weight or something.

if i bought an RP 1 could i use it with what i have ? (great !) or do i have to buy a whole new set of separates if i want a better turntable? (pain in the head).

It has the standard red/black auxiliary cables. I had a CD player plugged into those ports in my hi-fi so I just swapped them out and swapped the cable from the RP1 in. It works but the sound was very low. I have to turn it way up - and its grand when I do - but you get that hum from the speakers between songs due to having the volume so loud.

So its likely it will work but also likely the sound won't be great.

I should add that the crappy hi-fi I have was bought back in 1991.

You need to get a phono booster yoke for the record player, they don't work properly with the standard cd-player compatible inputs. That's why the sound is low and rubbish. Some amps and stereos already have them.

You can buy a Phono preamplifier which you can then connect to your standard stereo amp via the red and black cables. No matter how much you spend on an amp, unless it has a channel specifically marked "Phono", it will not be able to amplify a turntable correctly. Turntables require much greater amplification than the other components (which have preamplifiers built into them) so the normal aux/cd/radio inputs on a stereo won't be powerful enough.

The cheap sony ones have an inbuilt preamplifier but they're not great. I used to get the same skipping/stuck in a groove problem on my old sony turntable, I think it's to do with the tone arm being shit and unresponsive.

It has the standard red/black auxiliary cables. I had a CD player plugged into those ports in my hi-fi so I just swapped them out and swapped the cable from the RP1 in. It works but the sound was very low. I have to turn it way up - and its grand when I do - but you get that hum from the speakers between songs due to having the volume so loud.

So its likely it will work but also likely the sound won't be great.

I should add that the crappy hi-fi I have was bought back in 1991.

That hum between songs sounds like a grounding issue. Most TT's have a geound wire running out the back to connect to your amp. I had the same problem with my old set up until i realised. Makes a massive difference, not just between songs. Also, would def recommend getting a phono pre-amp. Can get them for around €75.

That hum between songs sounds like a grounding issue. Most TT's have a geound wire running out the back to connect to your amp.

just did a bit of reading up - the RP1 doesn't. The grounding is done via a wire in the TT's arm. A quick google search doesn't look too promising. Seems its a common problem with this product, unfortunately.

But in my case I won't panic, not til after I get the rest of the bits and pieces I need.

just did a bit of reading up - the RP1 doesn't. The grounding is done via a wire in the TT's arm. A quick google search doesn't look too promising. Seems its a common problem with this product, unfortunately.

But in my case I won't panic, not til after I get the rest of the bits and pieces I need.
Putting it through the preamplifier rather than directly into your stereo might boost the signal-to-noise ratio, lowering the hum far into the background. My setup picks up the radio but you only hear it when you turn the volume up to almost full (and music is unbearably loud at about half) and have no record playing.

Sorry didn't realise I didn't finish replying to this (pesky phone)...

Another thing to check, once you get round to it, is if the stereo/amp itself needs to be properly grounded. It might not actually be the TT's problem. I had to run a wire to my amp, and then another one from the amp into a plug (wired into the 'earth' part) before I eliminated the hum totally (on a Pro-ject Debut Carbon through a Sony integrated amp).

Sorry didn't realise I didn't finish replying to this (pesky phone)...

Another thing to check, once you get round to it, is if the stereo/amp itself needs to be properly grounded. It might not actually be the TT's problem. I had to run a wire to my amp, and then another one from the amp into a plug (wired into the 'earth' part) before I eliminated the hum totally (on a Pro-ject Debut Carbon through a Sony integrated amp).
this is great, thanks a lot. I'll try it out and will let you know how it goes. Cheers.

this is great, thanks a lot. I'll try it out and will let you know how it goes. Cheers.

Just throwing it out there...Took ages for me to sort the issue, a lot of trial and error, so have been passing this tip on to anyone i see with hum trouble since! Hope it works.

I got a new needle and played a fresh never played before record the other day and it still sounded pretty crap. I was in a HMV the other day and they were playing the store music from one of those Toy looking record players. Anyway it sounded crystal clear and deadly. My point? I dunno

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back