I'm going to buy a record player................... (2 Viewers)

Yeah I thought they might sound pretty crap. I'm looking for an old style record player with built in amp and speakers, but am probably looking at the 2nd hand route. I'd need longer to save for decent separates set-up, but might be worth it in the long run.

Aye, possibly. I have this one hooked up to our cd player using one of these and it sounds deadly so it might be a cheap decent start off for you until you can go for something better later

Nikkai Connect! 3.5mm Twin Phono to Stereo Jack Cable 1.5m | Maplin

I kind of figure that I'm probably not gonna get more than 50 records this year (although I could be wrong) so a decent box'll do for the time being. Book shelves are pretty full and saggy at the moment and don't really have room for more

Possibly better off getting some kind of crate to keep them in then. I'd imagine those record boxes to be pretty pricey these days.

I know you said you dont want shelves but i use this:

EXPEDIT Shelving unit - white - IKEA

I only have one square filled with vinyl but the size is perfect for it and its only €25

Aye, that looks pretty good alright and for €25 you can't go too wrong. Could maybe hang it on the wall.

The main reason I'm looking for a box is that I have a 15 month old and I was looking for something that he can't get into

They don't make them anymore, but Ikea did a bedside locker called a Corras. Whip the castors off, slide the middle shelf off and you have a fantastic record shelf and hifi stand. Turn up on adverts from time to time

Untitled.png

Records are heavy, well, mine are anyway.
p4779_column_grid_12.jpg

I put a 4x4 expedit up on a stud partition(?) wall and it's rock solid. They come with the fixings so I used some expanding toggle bolts like these ones to put it up. It hasn't fallen down yet and I'm shit at DIY, but it's full of baby blankets and stuff, not records.

Those particular fixings you've linked to are for hanging things from a ceiling, they'll probably work but they're not as strong or as reliable as the proper hollow wall fixings like these. The proper ones act like a clamp to really hold the screw and the thing you are anchoring to the wall in place. I think each screw can cope with something like 10 kg of load.

How basic is basic? Are you talking a €50-100 jobbie from Argos or the likes (avoid) or a €200-400 entry level turntable from a good brand? Cloney Audio in Blackrock (and the Dawson St. Tower Records) do the Rega RP1 for €300 which is a nice player. I think a similarly good Pro-Ject turntable would cost you about the same but not sure where stocks them in Dublin.

I would also check places like Adverts.ie and DoneDeal. I got my Rega Planar 2 on Adverts for €200 and aside from a hiccup with it yesterday, I have had nearly 6 years of heavy use out of it with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back