I'm going to buy a record player................... (3 Viewers)

Y'know when you get a new record, often for some reason on fancy not-black vinyl, and the hole is badly cut so that the record moves slower than it should? Whats the best practice way of cleaning out the swarf in the hole so that it spins properly?

Having an issue with my Project turntable. There's something *slightly* off with the belt or motor. When it's a noisy punker record it makes no odds, but anything with clear ringy tones or a piano or something, you can hear the slightest.....slur or wobble.

It's so minor I'm not even sure I'm hearing it half the time, but I bought some turntable grease and it did improve things. Still there though. Before spending a fortune getting it sent off for repair, anyone had this before and any tips?

Having an issue with my Project turntable. There's something *slightly* off with the belt or motor. When it's a noisy punker record it makes no odds, but anything with clear ringy tones or a piano or something, you can hear the slightest.....slur or wobble.

It's so minor I'm not even sure I'm hearing it half the time, but I bought some turntable grease and it did improve things. Still there though. Before spending a fortune getting it sent off for repair, anyone had this before and any tips?
Sounds likes sibilance, which could be a number of things. Has the tracking force shifted (the counterweight at the back of the arm)?

Whoa there, big spender, you can do better....

I’m looking to get a stand-alone phono amp instead of using my full Rotel amp, anyone recommend one?
Don't know if this is a dumb question or not but are we talking preamp or amp here, or is a "phono amp" something else entirely? Took me a while to get my head around it all when putting together my decidedly lower-end of mid-fi system.

Heyiz.
Have any of you come across problems with your turntables playing bass-heavy records?
Old records all seem fine, but recent well-produced stuff with a lot of bass drum woof makes the fecker skip fairly consistently. The turntable is a very basic old Pro-Ject P15 which I think is in decent shape. There's a new stylus, and everything is set up as it should be. The turntable is on its own table away from the speakers. I haven't tried increasing the weight on the stylus by much, but I don't think that would be a good solution as it wouldn't be great for the vinyl. Currently wondering whether to cut my losses and fork out for something that just wouldn't have this problem....is there a fix for it?

Don't know if this is a dumb question or not but are we talking preamp or amp here, or is a "phono amp" something else entirely? Took me a while to get my head around it all when putting together my decidedly lower-end of mid-fi system.

Preamp designed for phono/record players.

Heyiz.
Have any of you come across problems with your turntables playing bass-heavy records?
Old records all seem fine, but recent well-produced stuff with a lot of bass drum woof makes the fecker skip fairly consistently. The turntable is a very basic old Pro-Ject P15 which I think is in decent shape. There's a new stylus, and everything is set up as it should be. The turntable is on its own table away from the speakers. I haven't tried increasing the weight on the stylus by much, but I don't think that would be a good solution as it wouldn't be great for the vinyl. Currently wondering whether to cut my losses and fork out for something that just wouldn't have this problem....is there a fix for it?
A combination of increasing tracking weight and anti-skate should do the trick. Are your speakers on the same surface as the turntable?

Edit- just saw that speakers are separate...

Preamp designed for phono/record players.
phono amp means phono preamp??

Rb6b84a21f604f62788fff7ba6af0b565

Vinyl is great, isn't it.....

Tracking weight and anti-skate should do the trick. Are your speakers on the same surface as the turntable?
Thanks for the reply! The turntable is on its own table separate from the speakers. There's no anti-skate, the manual says it's set up for decent anti-skate without adjustment...it's a fairly basic yoke. I'd be reluctant to sort the problem out by changing the tracking weight much, as I'd be worried about ploughing up the vinyl.

Basically I’m looking to ditch my regular amp (which has a phono setting along with the usual tape, CD, radio settings) as it’s big and ugly and I only use the phono setting. I run that into a Sonos Connect to connect to my wireless speakers throughout the house. So I just need something that will bring the phono signal to a regular line out level. I don’t mind if it has pre in the name or not (all preamps are amps, Shirley?).

Like is this sort of thing any good or am I just getting what I pay for in this instance?

Thanks for the reply! The turntable is on its own table separate from the speakers. There's no anti-skate, the manual says it's set up for decent anti-skate without adjustment...it's a fairly basic yoke. I'd be reluctant to sort the problem out by changing the tracking weight much, as I'd be worried about ploughing up the vinyl.

I would give the tracking weight a go to see if it works, even 0.5 grams will make a significant difference. In my own experience heavier set-ups don't affect the records in the long run that much (or I have not noticed any change in the record sound quality). Different styli will have different recommended weights too obviously. so just check you have the right setting and maybe go for the upper limit if they have a range..

Basically I’m looking to ditch my regular amp (which has a phono setting along with the usual tape, CD, radio settings) as it’s big and ugly and I only use the phono setting. I run that into a Sonos Connect to connect to my wireless speakers throughout the house. So I just need something that will bring the phono signal to a regular line out level. I don’t mind if it has pre in the name or not (all preamps are amps, Shirley?).

Like is this sort of thing any good or am I just getting what I pay for in this instance?
Yeah I get you. I have a pre-amp worth about 400 quid (Pro-Ject Tube Box DS) and a pre-amp worth about 15 quid and the only noticeable difference is you can easily earth the expensive one and remove a specific non-earthed buzz. In your case i'd say don't get that one above, spend a little more than that, but no more than 150-200.

I imagine if you're into proper hi-fi worth thousands and you're talking genuine tube pre-amps it's a whole different ball game but it's unlikely i'll ever be rich enough to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back