IKEA is bad news for Dublin...apparently. (1 Viewer)

kirstie said:
The way IKEA works is that a large amount of each shop is given over to multiple room sets and display areas and showrooms, through which you wander first. You take note of what you like and head down to the market area (where a lot of the small products like kitchen ware, textiles, lighting, small storgage, media accessories etc are located) and collect what you want, and the warehouse area, where all the furniture is flatpacked on pallets for you to pick up yourself.
It'd be cool if you had a record shop like that.

You could wander around a bunch of stages and examine and listen to bands on them (sort of like the Jools Holland studio).
Then you could head down to the market area where you can buy albums, posters, novelty dolls, badges, wigs or whatever junk bands like to sell these days.

And if you really like a band, you can get them flatpacked on pallets for you to bring home and "do a groupie" with.

I personally think this change in legislation could be a bad thing for a number of reasons.

kirstie said:
you could argue that the law is restrictive and anti-competitive
You could also argue that allowing super-shops is uncompetitive, as it increases the barriers to entry to the marketplace
I think it's shit that a corporation can get a law changed to suit itself in such a blatant manner
A lot of this fuss over the shop size is fuelled by pure ignorance anyway
Hmmm Kirstie I think you're a little off-base here. Super-shops have pretty significant social costs, I guess you can ignore them if you like but to say that they don't exist is kinda stretching it a little

egg_ said:
Hmmm Kirstie I think you're a little off-base here. Super-shops have pretty significant social costs, I guess you can ignore them if you like but to say that they don't exist is kinda stretching it a little
Explain? I'm merely pointing out that the shop size doesn't relate to the amount of products for sale, is all. The shop needs to be the size it is because of the showroom elements, which are seriously big. I'd wager that the actual square footage containing the saleable products might not be much bigger than a B&Q.

Where are they planning to build it anyway???

Anyone I know who lives abroad in cities with Ikea has the same attitude about it.
It's a day trip.
Spend ages in traffic driving there.
Spends hours walking around it.
Spend ages queuing to spend your money.
Spend ages in traffic driving home.

Imagine it here with the already impossible traffic situation.
It's gonna be a nightmare.
It's also going to open up the country to loads more of these mega-warehouse-shops.
All so everyone can have the same slimline furniture and soft furnishings.
Bet it won't be as cheap as other Ikeas either...

they're talking about Ballymun I think. I haven't been on a Sunday expedition to the grim retail parks o' Dublin in quite some time, and it's not for the faint hearted, no.

Oh, and you can bet your ASS it'll be much more expensive, yeah. However, the thing about furniture is that it's all the fucking same now *anyway* (foko, ID design, awful 'classic' furniture, jim langans, that diamond place - all the same stuff), it's impossible to find something different here unless you pay a mint. Which is why I am extremely pleased with my ripped off Eero Saarinen tulip table from Ikea. Oh yes.

kirstie said:
Explain? I'm merely pointing out that the shop size doesn't relate to the amount of products for sale, is all.
The problem with super-shops is the number of visitors - very large visitor numbers causes all sorts of transport problems (which leads to increased road building, pollution and congestion) as well as losses for previously-existing businesses and McDonalds-isation of jobs in the sector. Shop floor area is a more reliable indicator of likely visitor numbers than amount of stock, so I think limiting area is a pretty sensible thing for a government to do

Overturning the limit as soon as someone asks nicely is not

I was providing information based on the fact I have been to a couple of different IKEAs and so know what way they're laid out. Hence my comment regarding people being ignorant as to why it needed to be so big and what they contain.

However, from the social point of view I'd find myself torn - one, Ballymun is a completely stupid place to put it. Two, while the consumer in me goes 'yay', the aghast-at-such-a-thing part of me goes 'bad news'.

Perhaps Bertie merely wants to furnish his house Scandi-Style?

egg_ said:
The problem with super-shops is the number of visitors - very large visitor numbers causes all sorts of transport problems (which leads to increased road building, pollution and congestion) as well as losses for previously-existing businesses and McDonalds-isation of jobs in the sector. Shop floor area is a more reliable indicator of likely visitor numbers than amount of stock, so I think limiting area is a pretty sensible thing for a government to do

Overturning the limit as soon as someone asks nicely is not

kirstie said:
However, from the social point of view I'd find myself torn - one, Ballymun is a completely stupid place to put it.
why so?

it is close to the m1 and m50 and there isn't much else in Ballymun at the moment. better than sticking it in Blanch or liffey Valley where there are 10 million shops anyway.

Because it's close to both the M1 and the M50 it means it's going to be unavoidable to not go that way if you're headed North or to the Airport, or even if you just live near there. The M50 by Liffey Valley is so jammed at the weekends, as is the road to Blanch (what road is that?) and since they're all connected I can't help wondering if it's not going to make the problem worse. Also I could be totally wrong but aren't they proposing it go on a site previously designated for playing fields or something like that?

I wonder would it make any difference to locate it down the county somewhere, like that Rathdowney place or something. Take traffic away from Dublin and force people to spend their pennies elsewhere. Of course, then you could argue that none of the cash would end up in the local area anyway, and having a massive shop would blight the landscape etc etc

spiritualtramp said:
why so?

it is close to the m1 and m50 and there isn't much else in Ballymun at the moment. better than sticking it in Blanch or liffey Valley where there are 10 million shops anyway.

kirstie said:
Because it's close to both the M1 and the M50 it means it's going to be unavoidable to not go that way if you're headed North or to the Airport, or even if you just live near there. The M50 by Liffey Valley is so jammed at the weekends, as is the road to Blanch (what road is that?) and since they're all connected I can't help wondering if it's not going to make the problem worse. Also I could be totally wrong but aren't they proposing it go on a site previously designated for playing fields or something like that?

I wonder would it make any difference to locate it down the county somewhere, like that Rathdowney place or something. Take traffic away from Dublin and force people to spend their pennies elsewhere. Of course, then you could argue that none of the cash would end up in the local area anyway, and having a massive shop would blight the landscape etc etc
fair enough. I was just thinking Ballymun would be slightly better than having it in the usual retail park suspects (Liffey Valley and Blanch) as it would cause slightly less traffic problems.

you're right, they should stick it down the country somewhere. people will still drive to it anyway.

I believe the site in question was meant for a science business park or something but they couldn't find anyone to locate there.

I don't see why they can't just use the catalogue system Argos
uses, they don't seem to need show rooms for all their goods etc, surely they don't need to display every line in store.

I suspect that the chosen location is resulting from some failures of the regeneration project and expected capacities re. employnment won't be met. The notion of making up the shortfall with "anti-community" enterprises like IKEA is typical FF.

I don't know the exact location but the traffic draw of these shops is huge and if the flows pass through already trafic laden communities that is a bad thing expecially in light of many of the aims of the area regeneration.

I don't like the concept of per-case derrogations from legislation especially when it is for specific enterprises. A) open to corruption B) How can you have expressed limitations in future.

nlgbbbblth said:
are absolute cunts

I really really really hope they go out of business and the "customer service staff" [i.e cunthole pricks] working there never get another job again

hehe yeah, fuck them all. ID design too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back