IKEA is bad news for Dublin...apparently. (1 Viewer)

avernus

IKEA is an awesome wonderous land for the consumlorb, but apparently its responsible for traffic pollution, the greenhouse effect and 9/11.

Traffic is stalled every Friday and most days after 3:30 PM. The Greenhouse Effect is made worse if Ikea goes in.

IKEA IS BAD NEWS FOR DUBLIN

We know that you love living here in Dublin; so do we. That's why you have to listen to our message. You've probably heard about us through local newspapers and television, but we want the chance to hear who we are directly from us.

We are Stop Annoying Development (S.A.D), a group of concerned Dublin citizens that want everyone to know that our main goal is to preserve and help foster the character of Dublin.

It's true, we're against IKEA coming to our city but that's not our entire message. We want to make sure that any development that sets up shop here, whether it be residential, industrial or retail, is the right fit for our community. We want to make sure that big businesses can't just waltz into town and hypnotize our leaders with promises of large amounts of money in trade for a permit to build. IKEA has set a terrible precedence by doing just that.

The most important reason IKEA doesn't fit in Dublin is the immense amount of traffic they will impose on our city.

The furniture giant used an independent traffic study firm from out of state to produce their traffic reports. An out of state agency that came into town for about a short time and decided that IKEA traffic would not significantly change Dublin's traffic patterns. The California Department of Transportation (CalTrans) sent a letter to IKEA and their traffic consultants that their numbers were incorrect. IKEA ignored the letter.

The estimated traffic at peak hours is estimated at about 8,000 more cars on our roads. Even with the low-balled number of 8,000 more cars is too much for Dublin to handle. Whether you're at the intersection of Dublin Boulevard and Dougherty Road, traveling on eastbound or westbound I-580 or on San Ramon Road, chances are that traffic is already slowing you down. IKEA will only make that worse. IKEA targeted Dublin because of the customers they will draw from east Contra Costa County (Brentwood, Antioch, Pittsburg) and the San Joaquin Valley (Tracy, Manteca and Stockton). They chose that location because of the visibility from Interstate 580, an already traffic-crippled highway. The bottom line is that where IKEA sees traffic, they see dollar signs. The more people that see their store the better, they do not care that their store will make our weekday and weekend commutes worse than they already are.

IKEA doesn't care about the character of Dublin. IKEA doesn't care about the residents of Dublin. IKEA doesn't care about the traffic. IKEA only cares about making money off of us residents and that prime location off of I-580. We believe that Dublin deserves better than another chain of retail stores. We want to be known as a community of great character, not as "the place where IKEA is."

Join us in pulling the welcome mat out from under IKEA's feet. There's no room here in Dublin for IKEA.

The Greenhouse Effect is real and it's a looming danger. Please realize, we cannot keep polluting our air. Now's the time to stop any addition to traffic.

Traffic is already unacceptable. The more we pollute the air, the more we rush the Greenhouse Effect into not only Dublin, or Pleasanton, or even this valley.

The Greenhouse Effect is world wide and it's implications are to ultimately destroy our civilization. That's why nobody wants to talk about it, certainly not the candidates running for election. You don't promote "feel good," by talking about the Greenhouse Effect.

I agree with Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in his book "Crimes Against the Envrionment," where he expouses the theme that when it comes down to more revenue and ruining the environment, we must side with the environment.

For the environment sustains our lives, and when we interfere with our lives and health, dollars and cents mean nothing.

Please stop the traffic. Please, let us all find a way to get politicians to make traffic and fuel exhaust a top priority, while there's still time. The World Wide Greenhouse Effect has a trickle down, and it comes all the way down to our Hacienda Exit off of I-580. We have a responsibility to our neighborhood, country, and world, and we all can make a beneficial difference.
http://www.smartvoter.org/2004/11/02/ca/alm/vote/leitner_i/paper1.html

i too do not want ikea to come. But that is only because half the stuff in my flat was bought there, and I don't want anyone else to get in on the fun.

kirstie said:
i too do not want ikea to come. But that is only because half the stuff in my flat was bought there, and I don't want anyone else to get in on the fun.

Ya, it'd be better if it went up north or something. Its just a mess to bring back furniture from other countries.

i want ikea to come so i can get my kitchen table replaced - the heat from my laptop cracked it right through but i don't fancy going all the way back to warrington to change it.

we can if you like.

ikea is great for acessories and storage and cushions and kitchen things and stuff like that but I don't think I'd buy a couch or a bed from them.

I would. their beds and things are glorious.

My flat at the mo has assorted Ikea bits - plant + pot, a lamp, cushion + pillow, fleece blanket, roman blind, candles and various kitchen utensils. Its uber and uber cheap.

that's exactly why I wouldn't buy a bed off them - the price. Their low prices are not all down to self service and flatpack, the quality isn't as good as it is when you pay more for furniture. Don't get me wrong, I love Ikea but I'd be fairly wary of some of its stuff too. There is a saying about them - from living room to landfill in under 10 years, and I'd be pretty much in agreement with that. We spent money on the big things and got deadly small storage and accessories and extra kitchen cabinets and pretty much everything in our bathroom and rugs etc from ikea. However, we have a load of stuff which we'll probably leave here when we move again. That's the other advantage - the stuff is cheap enough to change often, so the landfill thing is sort of moot.

pete said:
i want ikea to come so i can get my kitchen table replaced - the heat from my laptop cracked it right through but i don't fancy going all the way back to warrington to change it.
Fucken hell Pete if your laptop cracked your kitchen table perhaps you ought to consider trying a different shop next time?
Our kitchen table (solid pine) came with 2 solid pine chairs and a bench, cost us £50 from Buy and Sell.

hindsight is a wonderful thing.... but i'd probably still buy it

it's a lovely table

I think it's this one... legs look wrong though
20314_PE105481_S4.jpg

With four of these

20859_PE068879_S4.jpg

nice and simple, like

am i missing something? Does the notion of a government changing a law to let one company set up shop in Ireland seem a tad illegal. Surely it's up to Ikea to come up with a mini-me thing and not the other way around.
I'd love to see an ikea shop here but I'mopposed to the law changing thing.

well, you could argue that the law is restrictive and anti-competitive. A lot of this fuss over the shop size is fuelled by pure ignorance anyway. The way IKEA works is that a large amount of each shop is given over to multiple room sets and display areas and showrooms, through which you wander first. You take note of what you like and head down to the market area (where a lot of the small products like kitchen ware, textiles, lighting, small storgage, media accessories etc are located) and collect what you want, and the warehouse area, where all the furniture is flatpacked on pallets for you to pick up yourself.

the point about them is that they carry a huge product range and the way to get that product range to the consumer is to display it.

The law is probably going to have to go under EU rulings anyway to encourage competition. It was in place to protect Irish businesses in the first place but it does seem like it's becoming untenable. And the consumer gets what the consumer wants, right? They've been stretching it anyway with places like B&Q and what not.

Anthony said:
Just have fewer room sets. Surely there is an easy way out of this that doesn't require the gov.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back