Ian Mackaye on Minor Threat t-shirts at Urban Outfitters (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com

"Dischord doesn't make T-shirts," MacKaye clarifies in a phone call. But Minor Threat is another story. Because so many bootlegged Minor Threat shirts are constantly floating around the universe, MacKaye decided the band had to do something about it. The solution: Get another company to oversee their official shirts, and when a bootleg crops up, let them deal with it. "It's fucking absurd the amount of bootlegs are out there," MacKaye says, and "my time is better spent doing other things."

"It's not a political thing for me," MacKaye says. "I just don't give a fuck about T-shirts." At some point, the former Minor Threat frontman said to the band, "This is crazy. I spend so much of my time" chasing down bootleggers. He found that when he contacted the responsible parties about their bootlegs, they just gave him hell. "They get in your face... or they deny it," he says. "It's a complete waste of time."

Just because the shirt is licensed doesn't mean MacKaye approves of the sweatshoppy clothing chain selling his band's shirts, though. "Do I think it's absurd? Yes, I certainly do," he says. He also thinks the asking price is ridiculous, but he's more or less resigned to it. "Motherfuckers pay $28, that's what they wanna pay for their shirts."

He compares the pricey T-shirts to people happily blowing their money on expensive shoes. Why do they do it? "I guess it makes their feet feel fuckin' rich," he says.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...ds-to-urban-outfitters-minor-threat-t-shirts/

Why not sell shirts through Dischord?

Or maybe he'll let someone else manufacture and distribute Minor Threat records soon?

I'll take "...is how Ian Mackaye is allegedly worth $25m" for $800, Alec.

I'll take "...is how Ian Mackaye is allegedly worth $25m" for $800, Alec.
"What is constant touring and taking very careful control over the releases of an extremely popular band and running the label which owns the copyright and publishing"

Still $25 mil is surely bullshit, although do you know a single person who doesn't own at least one Fugazi or Minor Threat album ?

Apart from my parents I can't think of anyone else.

"What is constant touring and taking very careful control over the releases of an extremely popular band and running the label which owns the copyright and publishing"

Still $25 mil is surely bullshit, although do you know a single person who doesn't own at least one Fugazi or Minor Threat album ?

ah yeah it's probably complete horseshit alright - maybe if you assign sole ownership of every Dischord asset to him personally... but would he ever sell it?

ah yeah it's probably complete horseshit alright - maybe if you assign sole ownership of every Dischord asset to him personally... but would he ever sell it?

Sell it ? no

I'd imagine the assets of Dischord wouldn't reach that figure either.

And again.

On the other hand, the dollar is essentially a fucking third world currency at the moment, it's about €18 million or £16 Million pounds. Which when you look at a company which has been trading for over 30 years and easily the last 20 on a global scale it's actually not that hard to believe.

Then again I'm not an economist. Jus' sayin' like.

I bought a Dischord t-shirt directly from Jeff Nelson of Dischord records. He even sent me a personal note with it. There's a link on the Dischord website somewhere to his merchandise website.

Does Dischord sell t-shirts?

Dischord doesn't sell shirts directly but Dischord co-owner Jeff Nelson sells Dischord t-shirts and sweatshirts through his company Pedestrian Press. These are the only official, authorized Dischord shirts. Individual bands are in charge of their own shirts and some sell them and others do not. Minor Threat, for example, do authorize t-shirts while Fugazi do not.

http://www.dischord.com/about#9

I've been looking at more of Fugazi's sales figures, according to wikipedia, which in this case I'm certainly not trusting, almost all of their records have sold over 1 million copies. 13 songs supposedly sold 3 million.

Now I don't think that's totally fact, but the last 4 or 5 Fugazi albums have entered the Billboard charts, and that was back when you actually had to sell a truck load to get anywhere near that list.

There's a college talk Ian macKaye does on youtube somewhere - in it he mentions that REPEATER sold 125,000 copies on cassette alone... I think it might be this...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
... a fairly staggering statistic...

do you know a single person who doesn't own at least one Fugazi or Minor Threat album ?

I don't think I'd ever even heard them, although I'd be fairly sure I'd probably like them.

Also, I bought a bootleg Minutemen t-shirt from Ebay last year. Now I feel kinda bad.

One of the things I remember most about the film "Mud" was that one of the kids wore a Fugazi t-shirt.

FugaziMUD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back