i want to punch film in the face (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
i got my film from new york 'developed' today. though, it couldnt be devloped, because even though a guy from B and H loaded it and i took a full roll of shots (some of which i remember thinking were deadly), the fucking thing came back blank.

i'm trying to retrace in my brain where something may have gone wrong. i had trouble winding it back after it was finished, but it went in the spool eventually. it wasn't exposed as no light hit it. the shutter works fine.

i'm not the first and i won't be the last person for this to happen to. but man it sucks pretty bad.

share your disappointing film stories here. SURE YOU MIGHT AS WELL.

I feel your pain. It blows. Back in college we had to develop our own film. I can't even tell you how many times I had a roll of film that I thought correctly spooled in the canister. Only to find out later that some bits were touching thus sticking together. Ruined negatives galore. My favorite curse word of all time is motherfucker* (not that I ever say it aloud) but I repeat it over and over in my head in situations such as those.

* That reminds me, I really need to make my motherfucker song mix. I had a good list going there for a while.

What type of camera were you using La La?

Of course the worst screwed up film processing story of all concerns Robert Capa who was the only photographer on the first wave of Allied boats during the Normandy landings. He shot a number of rolls of film while dodging bullets and general slaughter on the beach, miraculously survived and got the film sent back to London. Some darkroom assistant who got the task of processing them screwed it up by leaving them to dry in some sort of heated cabinet that should have been left open but wasn't.

Result: only something like 11 printable shots out of hundreds. Imagine how pissed off he was!

This should make you feel better La La.

Oh yeah my annoying film story: I took the best photo ever on Thomas street a few weeks ago. I'm telling ya - Cartier Bresson would have been proud. I could try and explain it but it would never convey how amazing it was. Anyway, when I processed the film I remembered that previously I had opened the back of the camera thinking there was no film in it. I closed it again and thought to myself "ah sure, at worst it will only mess up the the first few frames". However, it actually confused the film counter resulting in blank shots for the last few frames. Including my Thomas Street masterpiece. Sure it's all part of the fun!

My favorite curse word of all time is motherfucker* (not that I ever say it aloud) but I repeat it over and over in my head in situations such as those.

the inside of my head today was like a Mr Tourette's comic strip. luckily i kept it all internalised.

What type of camera were you using La La?

Of course the worst screwed up film processing story of all concerns Robert Capa who was the only photographer on the first wave of Allied boats during the Normandy landings. He shot a number of rolls of film while dodging bullets and general slaughter on the beach, miraculously survived and got the film sent back to London. Some darkroom assistant who got the task of processing them screwed it up by leaving them to dry in some sort of heated cabinet that should have been left open but wasn't.

Result: only something like 11 printable shots out of hundreds. Imagine how pissed off he was!

This should make you feel better La La.

ah yes, the classic Capa story. that's the most famous film fuck up ever. that said, the poor quality of the surviving prints actually add to the drama i think.

(i was shooting with a Nikon FM)

what's even more tragic is that the army had their own official (extremely talented) photographer there, who took about a dozen rolls documenting the landings. and when the army censor saw all the dead allied bodies in the shots, had them all destroyed.

Numerous stories of shooting rolls upon rolls of film with my spangly new F100 only to later realise i'd not set the ASA of the film right so they were all under/over exposed. Sucked.

I recently shot my first roll of 35mm in about 12 years, and my first ever without the benefit of any point and click features. I was certain that it was going to come back blank. Amazingly all the shots came out pretty well, actually, really pleased with them all - which is jammy, and now I'm thinking I should leave it at that, it can only be downhill from here.

For the last couple of years that I had it the back on my old 35mm (which my Dad bought me when I was 11) was lose and would occassionally let a bit of light through, resulting in firey edges on random photos. Interesting 'my friends are in hell' type shots resulted.

For the last couple of years that I had it the back on my old 35mm (which my Dad bought me when I was 11) was lose and would occassionally let a bit of light through, resulting in firey edges on random photos.

i like that effect! very holga, or something. quirks can easily become virtues...

yes to all above.

couple of times shooting gigs with a pentax mx id fail to correctly re-load the film, and not notice in the dark. after 36 frames, I go to rewind the film and find the re-wind lever strangely free, only to realise Id been shoot onto the film leader for the past 15 mins.

ah film..

on the other hand, theres nothing quite like a seeing a print youve been working on for ages coming up in the developing tray, and seeing that all your blocking/buring and split-grading have worked a treat..only to have it eaten by the print drier 15 mins later.

1989 after the King's X gig in the SFXwe hung around and met the band, good times, photos etc and that was after front row amazing photos all night (not hard considering how poorly attended the gig was). Turns out the wind on was not working, or the film was ripped. 36 exposures on one frame. Curses.

Nice app for the iPhone called Camerabag that recreates Holga, polaroid etc. The results are quite nice.

speaking of film...

My pictures are painstakingly created frame by frame on 35mm film. I get the whole film developed, scan it, then piece the final image together on the computer, making a large contact sheet. It’s only when the completed film strips are laid out side by side in the contact sheets that the final image appear.
Each work usually takes months to complete, as each frame is obsessively taken in sequence. No pasting together after the event, no cheating in Photoshop!
If I make a mistake or take a frame out of place I start the film again from the beginning.

lookbothwayssmall-500x555.jpg

http://www.martinwilson.net/

on the other hand, theres nothing quite like a seeing a print youve been working on for ages coming up in the developing tray, and seeing that all your blocking/buring and split-grading have worked a treat..only to have it eaten by the print drier 15 mins later.

Do you do your printing in the Gallery Of Photography by any chance? Happened to me loads of times.

I think those print dryers are a curse. Now I just bring them home wet in a plastic bag and hang them up over the bath to dry overnight.

Handed in two rolls of film before, one colour - the other black and white, and both were "developed" as b&w even though I specifically reminded them that one was colour and watched as they wrote the type down with a large "colour" beside it.

Fucking ruined it. And of Venice too.

Thank jasus I had the DSLR.

Put me off film for the most part, although I still do occasionally go for a dander with the OM1 and 10.

Do you do your printing in the Gallery Of Photography by any chance? Happened to me loads of times.

I think those print dryers are a curse. Now I just bring them home wet in a plastic bag and hang them up over the bath to dry overnight.

yeah, thought in fairness, those ilford dyers are pieces of shit. over complicated. Ive learned over the years how to appease them tho..

problem with the paper bag route is getting prints kinked I found.

yeah, thought in fairness, those ilford dyers are pieces of shit. over complicated. Ive learned over the years how to appease them tho..

problem with the paper bag route is getting prints kinked I found.

Yeah, I suppose that can happen. I try to be really careful with how I handle them on the way home to avoid that. If it's something important I just leave it there overnight.

Have you tried using the darkroom in The Light Exchange? I would recommend it .. it's really good.

Handed in two rolls of film before, one colour - the other black and white, and both were "developed" as b&w even though I specifically reminded them that one was colour and watched as they wrote the type down with a large "colour" beside it.
my dad took two rolls of slide of my sister when she was two hours old, and they were processed as C41. my mum said she'd never seen him as angry.
i don't know if they ever sent him the film; i imagine it'd have been worth keeping regardless, and might have looked decent anyway.

Yeah, I suppose that can happen. I try to be really careful with how I handle them on the way home to avoid that. If it's something important I just leave it there overnight.

Have you tried using the darkroom in The Light Exchange? I would recommend it .. it's really good.

where abouts is the light exchange?? what are their rates like??

where abouts is the light exchange?? what are their rates like??

It's in Portobello. Google it. They have a website.

It is 20 quid for a half-day session (4 hours). I think it is 40 for a whole day. They also do 3 hour evening sessions. I think they are 15. I could be wrong about the numbers though.

I think it has two big things going for it:

- it's a small darkroom (two enlargers) but you get the whole thing to yourself. So, no more dodging out the door to look at prints, bumping into other people all the time, and asking if it's okay to turn on the light

- all the equipment is in good condition and works very well (having said that the bigger enlarger went kaput last week but they could have it sorted by now).

And they are really nice to deal with. And you can make your own tea and coffee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back