I thought the record industry was on its knees? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 2
out of curiousity where have they got to?

I'm not being smart here, I'm genuinely curious. I haven't heard anything from them in a long while and don't recall seeing them on the lineup for any of the festivals this year. I think they're a great band but it seemed to me they hit a point they weren't going to get past without a serious injection of lids from somewhere. Gigging in poxy little venues is grand and all when you're young and enthusiastic, but to do it to earn a crust for the rest of your life, aslan-styley, seems quite hellish.

I ran into Kieran a few weeks ago at Owen Pallett's gig in Whelans, they're currently working on a new album right now is what I think he said to me.

Those dudes have a hell of a work ethic though, can't see many bands that'd be willing to put in what they have.

Yep they have been quiet alright. My point was they did get to a level a few years back on their own merit. They were playing all the festivals and on day time radio off their own bat. Its the leap after that which is hard i reckon.

True. They also have a PR company which was what I recommended to Gary. You're right about the leap. There are lots of bands that approached household name status in this country that aren't known abroad at all. They never leveraged their Irish success into international success.

Yep they have been quiet alright. My point was they did get to a level a few years back on their own merit. They were playing all the festivals and on day time radio off their own bat. Its the leap after that which is hard i reckon.

around 5/6 years ago I must have seen them about 10 times in a single year, without going out of my way to do so. They were everywhere. I thought with that sort of exposure they'd have hit the bigtime. Which led me to wonder, if they couldn't do it, is it possible to do it?

delighted to hear they're bringing out a new album

This is completely true and in Ireland it's not even a given that being on a major will get you on the radio. (The UK radio is largely pay to play and a huge amount of what you hear is what "pluggers," are being paid to push. The whole "plugger" system doesn't exist in Ireland.)

I was talking to a guy here from a major who told me that they had an artist, an Irish artist, who sold 2K tickets to a gig in Cork, in 48 hours. So, a popular act. They COULD NOT get the artist's single on the main local station in Cork, no matter how much they tried, because the guys in the station didn't like the artist's music.

That's pretty insane.

True. They also have a PR company which was what I recommended to Gary. You're right about the leap. There are lots of bands that approached household name status in this country that aren't known abroad at all. They never leveraged their Irish success into international success.

I was talking to someone who's "in" the UK industry, about this... I said, "how did the Coronas get play on UK radio?" his response was, "who are the Coronas".

Ireland is completely, "big fish, small pond" ... if you wanna make it aim at the UK/US. That's sad, but... true.

On the subject of Irish bands in the UK, and I know they're not that well liked on thumped but their second album was a big step forward and they've also paid their dues in the past 6 years, Ham Sandwich are doing Leeds/Reading this weekend.

Oh god.I would hate to become one of them.<br>
<br>
Or a snob.
me = snob for describing that list as shit being peddled as music.

Absolutely. Loads of Hi fives for snobs.

That's not to say that it shouldn't exist, people are assholes for liking it, enjoying it, buying it etc. That would just be assinine. Individual taste is what it is. But don't imagine for an instant that there's even a hint of natural selection to it; it's marketed to death down the audience's throats, constantly exposed to the same 20 songs a week, everywhere, through every possible media.
Even a confirmed snob like me can reel off the lyrics of a Rhianna, a Brittney or even a LMAO (my six and four year olds love that shit, and they should, it's aimed at them) without having to think for more than a second or two and I'm certainly less exposed to it than most people. It has as much to do with music as a fucking jingle for baked beans.

Reading back over this thread I realise that I mistakenly thought it was about music and it's not, I really shouldn't get involved, I'm easily annoyed by this subject because one of the profoundly cool things about my life is that my musical taste/education/epiphany came from sources as far away from the industry that produced that shitlist at the top of this thread as possible and know that I don't have to just sit back and be a "fan" or a "consumer". I'll get my coat.

(while I'm putting it on and sheepishly looking for my keys:

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/parents/marketing/marketers_target_kids.cfm
http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/parents/marketing/issues_teens_marketing.cfm)

On the subject of Irish bands in the UK, and I know they're not that well liked on thumped but their second album was a big step forward and they've also paid their dues in the past 6 years, Ham Sandwich are doing Leeds/Reading this weekend.

Props to them for actually trying to be commercial success! I wish they had better songs, but they're a good band and have the right attitude to take it to a wider audience.

Retarded Cop Versus The Ghost Of Tupac.Wheres me clairvoyant....

So,what have I learned?Pretty much nothing I didnt know already.

That christmas song was the best christmas song of last year,and I fucking pounded on doors and hustled the shit out of it.

Not ONE fucking play on the radio.Shane McGowan was destined for the top slot since September.I was told.I dont even know if he made it.

The prospect of gigging round the place on a weekly basis ala Pat McManus sounds fucking awesome to me and its prolly just as well.

As long as theres punters show up!

This is the first decent music biz thread in ages.

P.S. Tweeting "I need a record deal" dosent work!

I'm a trailblazer.

I live on facebook.Its a great resource for lyrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back