I think I might have been wrong about Mastodon (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Some of their stuff came up on a Spotify playlist I was listening to in the car... and it was very good.

We'll have more later as this story develops.

I like that one where the drummer sings. They have that Fugazi and The Clash thing going on for me. I prefer them when the other guy sings.

Ah Mastodon. Crack the Skye remains the high watermark, the last couple of records have been disappointing, but they had an amazing run for three records.
Prefer the other two of the three personally. Blood Mountain probably my fav

I like that one where the drummer sings. They have that Fugazi and The Clash thing going on for me. I prefer them when the other guy sings.
Couldn't believe it recently when I sat down and went through how many of the Clash's hits were actually Mick Jones - Train in Vain, Stay Free, Should I Stay or Should I Go, Lost in the Supermarket. And of course Simonon did Guns of Brixton and Topper wrote Rock the Casbah. Still love Joe Strummer but he had a some amount of help.

it was this lad what came up on the playlist

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Couldn't believe it recently when I sat down and went through how many of the Clash's hits were actually Mick Jones - Train in Vain, Stay Free, Should I Stay or Should I Go, Lost in the Supermarket. And of course Simonon did Guns of Brixton and Topper wrote Rock the Casbah. Still love Joe Strummer but he had a some amount of help.
They were clearly at their best as a band effort, they knew who worked best singing each track.

Listen to the first Big Audio Dynamite album and you can very quickly start picking out the tracks that would have been better sung by Joe. Mick is deadly obviously but give him anything beyond his big emo tracks and he starts to struggle as a lead singer.

Last edited:
They were clearly at their best as a band effort, they knew who worked best singing each track.

Listen to the first Big Audio Dynamite album and you can very quickly start picking out the tracks that would have been better sung by Joe. Mick is deadly obviously but give him anything beyond his big emo tracks and he starts to struggle as a lead singer.
His bark is absolutely central to what made them great. But it's just surprising the proportion of songs not sung/written by the chief singer that were hits.

So anyway i've been listening to random songs from across all their releases (that are on spotify). Tomorrow, we start on entire albums.

I liked them at first, I got into them when Leviathan came out but I've lost interest since. Each subsequent album felt a bit more run of the mill and the one time I saw them live they were a mess. Still, I'm happy that you've found something new to enjoy Pete.

I'm happy that you've found something new to enjoy Pete.
CWah2Aiw_400x400.png

well leviathan is 50% boooring and 50% would listen again
fell asleep listening to crack the skye but that was bus related not music related

the experiment continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back