I saw a thing in the garden (2 Viewers)

There was a mad looking bird flying around in woods over in Castlemartyr. If I'd been in the US I'd have just said woodpecker and carried on. But I don't know if they're around. (American?) woodpeckers have this distinctive flying style, glide then swoop up and stall just as they're about to land on the tree trunk. He was up to that sort of craic.
Credit where it's due, there's a bit of an effort going on over in Castlemartyr with native tree replanting. It's already attracting interesting things.
a jay?

a jay?
Oh... maybe? I've seen jays around Dublin. Fairly ballsy, bold fellas over there.

He did a couple of squawks, and then I guess it was the way he lurking around shooting latching onto tree trunk to tree truck which made me notice him. It was hard to actually see what they looked like because he'd be right on the trunk and promptly vanishing. Then he'd pop out somewhere else, do a swoop and land straight on the trunk the way woodpeckers do, and vanish again.

But it was the behaviour that was weird I suppose, rather than the bird, which I wasn't able to get a good look at. There's an awful lot of foliage I'm noticing in Irish for forest in the winter, compared to the US.

Not my garden, but in the local park, I saw a kingfisher.

It's been there for years, seen it a few times. It's quite comfortable and confident and doesn't mind us humans gawking at it.

What amazes me is that to the human eye it's so striking, colourful and lovely looking. Yet, try to take a picture, no chance.

Not my garden, but in the local park, I saw a kingfisher.

It's been there for years, seen it a few times. It's quite comfortable and confident and doesn't mind us humans gawking at it.

What amazes me is that to the human eye it's so striking, colourful and lovely looking. Yet, try to take a picture, no chance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230208_154715.jpg
    IMG_20230208_154715.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
the frog chorus has started this evening.
and the hedgehog seems determined to get herself trapped in the outdoor loo. not in the toilet bowl, just in the WC.

theres some lad on instagram with rediculous kingfisher pics recently. he must be a fish or somehting

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just saw a wittle birdie. It had a black/grey back, then a white bit, and then a yellow, daffodil coloured chest and belly(?).

Bigger than a robin, smaller than a thrush. Seemed not remotely bothered with me.

Any ideas?

Also, for the first time I've noticed the tide coming in. Obviously I've noticed it in, out, coming in, going out. But this time over the course of ten minutes I saw the water get to a level, flow in, and eventually I noticed that we were floating. Pretty awesome.

Maybe, but I've seen grey wagtails in the stadiums all the time (they're particularly attracted to sports pitches), but I never noticed the striking yellowness.

the amusing thing is that the grey, black and white wagtail is called the pied wagtail, but the colourful wagtail is the grey wagtail.
I just realised that pied means colourful. Despite knowing it, kind of, because I knew the Pied Piper was a lad with some class of a whistle and a colourful suit.

I never associated the Pied Piper with pied used in conjunction to birds. Hm.

I sat in the garden with a beer and this amazing app yesterday. Our house is surrounded by trees so there's a constant cacophony going on. You hit the mic and watch as it identifies the sound patterns, isolates each one and identifies each bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back