I saw a thing in the garden (6 Viewers)

Edit. I was told Egyptian geese are migratory, but some googling tells me otherwise.

Anyway four Egytptian geese just landed here. That's almost 0.1% of the entire UK population. I'd never seen them here (as in, outside my gaff) before. They are pretty.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

let he amongst us who hasn't eaten fermented fruit and then lay drunk on the sidewalk before wise passers-by collect one and put one in a safe place until one sobers up cast the first stone

Last year or so during the winter sometime I think I saw a bloody great white owl looking in my window in the middle of the night, and it scared the piss out of me.

A few minutes ago a friend of mine in the village here said she saw a big white out just outside of the village. She's grown up here, and she doesn't think she's seen this lad before. She's well used to seeing barn owls and stuff, and she got a good look at him, and said it was "pure white and big". So I'm wondering if there's a snowy owl around?

I'm not going to say where it was, it's this big organic and generally environmentally responsible farm by us. There'd be all sorts of animals flying about the shop there resulting from how they farm.

Last year or so during the winter sometime I think I saw a bloody great white owl looking in my window in the middle of the night, and it scared the piss out of me.

A few minutes ago a friend of mine in the village here said she saw a big white out just outside of the village. She's grown up here, and she doesn't think she's seen this lad before. She's well used to seeing barn owls and stuff, and she got a good look at him, and said it was "pure white and big". So I'm wondering if there's a snowy owl around?

I'm not going to say where it was, it's this big organic and generally environmentally responsible farm by us. There'd be all sorts of animals flying about the shop there resulting from how they farm.
Owls! Fuck man, amazing, the best I've seen so far is an otter (not in my back garden) and some hares. Oh and badger roadkill. Kinda want to get some cameras up just to see what I'm missing.

Owls! Fuck man, amazing, the best I've seen so far is an otter (not in my back garden) and some hares. Oh and badger roadkill. Kinda want to get some cameras up just to see what I'm missing.
thing about owls is I've noticed is that I'm seeing them way more now I'm driving on these country roads with high beams on.
They are absolutely silent, I had one fly past me and they just don't make ANY sound to the extent it messes with your brain. So you can't really hear them unless they do shrieking.
But if you drive with high beams on you'll see them skirting along the edges of roads around here roughly at the tree line or lower often. I'd say barn owls are fairly common here honestly, there's a road that I'd tell the kids to look out for them and we'd see them fairly often.

If the high beams aren't on, then I tend not to notice them. You need that light up slightly higher.

edit - you will hear barn owls shrieking though. I bet you have already @Lili Marlene - the racket off them is unreal. Look it up on youtube and see if it sounds familiar.

Last edited:

sounds like someone's going to Hogwarts

thing about owls is I've noticed is that I'm seeing them way more now I'm driving on these country roads with high beams on.
They are absolutely silent, I had one fly past me and they just don't make ANY sound to the extent it messes with your brain. So you can't really hear them unless they do shrieking.
But if you drive with high beams on you'll see them skirting along the edges of roads around here roughly at the tree line or lower often. I'd say barn owls are fairly common here honestly, there's a road that I'd tell the kids to look out for them and we'd see them fairly often.

If the high beams aren't on, then I tend not to notice them. You need that light up slightly higher.

edit - you will hear barn owls shrieking though. I bet you have already @Lili Marlene - the racket off them is unreal. Look it up on youtube and see if it sounds familiar.

Haven’t they evolved to be as silent as possible so they essentially just land on a mouse to surprise (and consume) it utterly.

Have not heard the Banshee yet, no.

Have heard a cuckoo though, that was cool. And theres a number of pheasants nesting around here for whatever reason. Always nice when you get a good look at one. They make a big, distinctive racket.

was up in donegal about 7 years ago and wanted to see a golden eagle; and like with the barn owls, there was no 'oh, i wonder if that's a golden eagle?' going on, it was 'fuck me, that's a golden eagle'.

helped that it was probably only about 100 or 150 foot up, directly overhead.

sounds like someone's going to Hogwarts
To be fair given the family who owns that farm, that's not much of a stretch. They'd be exactly the sort.

Have not heard the Banshee yet, no.

Have heard a cuckoo though, that was cool. And theres a number of pheasants nesting around here for whatever reason. Always nice when you get a good look at one. They make a big, distinctive racket.
I think I remember you mentioning that before. Cuckoo is one I'd be very keen on hearing. That's still on the list.

There was a mad looking bird flying around in woods over in Castlemartyr. If I'd been in the US I'd have just said woodpecker and carried on. But I don't know if they're around. (American?) woodpeckers have this distinctive flying style, glide then swoop up and stall just as they're about to land on the tree trunk. He was up to that sort of craic.
Credit where it's due, there's a bit of an effort going on over in Castlemartyr with native tree replanting. It's already attracting interesting things.

How did they ever get percieved as wise with outbursts like that.
Threats mainly.

"That's a nice bird book you're writing there pall. Be a shame if someone hung around outside your gaff at night and unleashed STOMACH CLENCHING shrieks just as you're going to sleep."

"Uh huh. I thought so. So just put down "very clever indeed, the cleverest ever, OMG so clever. And an absolute ride". ...YOU HEARD ME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back