I saw a thing in the garden (1 Viewer)

in the shallows of where? Are you living by an estuary or something?

If you can even get a barrel and lob in some duckweed, elodia maybe, and a few reedy sort of things sticking up you'll likely get dragonflies breezing through. They seem to crop up all over the place, even in urban type settings, once they have water and stalks to perch on to look at the water.

I'll be putting in a little pond in the non-sea side of the place here. There's a sporadic leaky tap here, which if it's leaking invites all sort of birds and things down, and you'll see the odd dragonfly ripping past if they see the pool forming. They're really active and good at seeing stuff.

I'm sure I've mentioned where I am before and don't want to anything too specific.

Where I live is tidal, I'm out of the water about 8 out of every 12 hours. So at low tide I'm in the mud, seeing mad things out the window.

I'm sure I've mentioned where I am before and don't want to anything too specific.

Where I live is tidal, I'm out of the water about 8 out of every 12 hours. So at low tide I'm in the mud, seeing mad things out the window.
yeah, I think I remember. I didn't realise that it was tidal, I guess that makes sense. Heh.

There are freshwater crabs. I was thinking it would be nuts if they started to get into English waterways.

There was a fat bastard hedgehog wandering around our front garden on Saturday night, which was a first.

Like clockwork, these pricks, this is my kitchen window. Lucky for them I have a loaf of very stale bread to give them. Is bread bad for them? They certainly like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221006_102644.jpg
    IMG_20221006_102644.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
anyway, you're in luck (as long as the stale bready is not mouldy)

Is feeding bread bad for swans?

The simple answer is no, mouldy bread should never be fed and bread should not be the only diet of a swan but bread is not dangerous to swans.

is there some weird internal reflection in your window? or have you photographed both their corporeal and incorporeal beings?

Oh that is weird, very unintentional.

The window opens upwards and hangs on a chain, parallel to the ceiling more or less, so it's above the lens in that pic. I guess it's the window reflecting the water reflecting the window.

Jesus Christ like.
The birds have all decided to hide all around the gaff here. The sea is taking the piss outside.

Buckle up. Winter is fuckin coming lads.

Not my garden as such, but at work they brought in a falconer to frighten the pigeons. As in, his raptor frightened the pigeons.

To be honest, we don't have a pigeon problem, it's mostly white wagtails, magpies and the odd crow, none of which are an issue. But falconers are a crafty bunch in my experience. Fascinating watching all the other birds react to her presence. being within touching distance was a bit of a "wow" moment. That look.

I had to delay eating my meat sandwich just in case.

I think with some quick googling, I reckon it was a harrier hawk. Or maybe a buzzard?

Actually around the gaff, there is an egret. I never noticed them before they got mentioned here. Cool birds.

Egrets are funny ones alright. I don't remember seeing them when i was growing up at all, and now there seems to be lots of them about.

I wonder are they one of these climate change indicator species? Or am I just selectively not remembering them being in Ireland whatever number of years ago.

I guess they just fall into the general category of "seagulls" until you look closer.

A seagull?
Are we talking about this lad?
38613_large.jpg

Egrets are funny ones alright. I don't remember seeing them when i was growing up at all, and now there seems to be lots of them about.

I wonder are they one of these climate change indicator species? Or am I just selectively not remembering them being in Ireland whatever number of years ago.
it's believed they're native, went extinct through hunting/habitat destruction/climate change but have since returned.

it's believed they're native, went extinct through hunting/habitat destruction/climate change but have since returned.
Oh is that right?

Magic you're a mine of information here. Jesus. Where are you getting all this stuff?

Not glamorous i suppose, but those big black backed gulls are seriously huge animals. Like, it's hard to get a scale on them until you see them up close. Massive.

I keep thinking about how that Sea Eagle made them look small.
Oh, not sure if I mentioned it but I definitely did see the Sea Eagle down the cliffs here. I ran into a photographer who'd taken photos of her back when I thought I saw her. That's probably one of my life achievements ticked off there.

Fair number of curlews around too, David Gray would be happy to hear.
Also saw a few Little Gulls (kind of a bit rare seemingly) around too, sweet little things. Decent population of Kestrels and Peregrines. I'm hoping I'll get to see more razorbills during the winter. Everything's been blown out the last few days though, the Big Blackbacks are the only guys up for this sort of wind.

Not my garden as such, but at work they brought in a falconer to frighten the pigeons. As in, his raptor frightened the pigeons.

To be honest, we don't have a pigeon problem, it's mostly white wagtails, magpies and the odd crow, none of which are an issue. But falconers are a crafty bunch in my experience. Fascinating watching all the other birds react to her presence. being within touching distance was a bit of a "wow" moment. That look.

I had to delay eating my meat sandwich just in case.

I think with some quick googling, I reckon it was a harrier hawk. Or maybe a buzzard?

Actually around the gaff, there is an egret. I never noticed them before they got mentioned here. Cool birds.

harrier hawks are the ones that can fly straight upwards arent they?

An albino squirrel. Thats a first.
Should have put this in the original post, but apparently there's only 50 albino squirrels in the whole UK. Folklore says seeing one is a sign of good luck such is their rarity. At first I thought it was a pet rat.

This one was not in my garden, but in the garden of some rich persons house I was working in out in the suburbs. This squirrel seemed quite happy, dossing about on the patio, getting fed by the wealthy folk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back