I saw a thing in the garden (3 Viewers)

Beegone. We had a guy out last night to set this up. The bees can only leave by entering the lower part of the hive. The door is one way only. The foragers, when they return will realize they can't get back down the chimney so will start populating the upper part of the hive. When the bees below in the chimney realize the foragers aren't returning they too will have to enter the hive. Eventually, the queen will follow suit at which point they will all follow her. It will probably take a couple of weeks.
Meanwhile, the reception for the BeeBeeC channels has improved dramatically.

20220705_075414.jpg

i had to put a jackdaw out of its misery earlier. found it injured on the road outside, and took it into our back garden in case it was just stunned. half an hour later, it was clearly worse off so i decided to drown it (my previous attempt, in a similar situation, at wringing a bird's neck was disastrous). drowning an animal feels *cold*.

I know this lad. Lucky escape

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not in the garden but the missus did a similar thing painting the wall with anti-mould paint.

There she was, wearing my respirator from work, windows open etc. I'm saying "be careful, are you sure you know whats in that bottle?" and she's like "yeahyeahyeah, I've been painting and decorating since I was eight year old, don't go mansplaining to me"
"Alright"

An hour later we're both in A&E, during the height of the pandemic, really feeling like we're wasting everyone's time by being stupid. I was not happy.

*For anyone who hasn't looked the twitter link, the guy tried to deter the pine marten with bleach and stuff, and accidentally made chlorine gas. Careful kids.

I did the Bray-Greystones walk over Bray Head earlier. At one point I was going through a fairly narrow part of the pathway when this pigeon appeared on the ground in a few metres in front of me. It didn't appear to be in bad shape, but didn't make any effort to fly past me or anything. Instead as I walked towards it, it walked towards me and simply hopped right over my feet and continued along on the ground. Didn't look like there was anything wrong with it, just a mad bastard.

i had to put a jackdaw out of its misery earlier. found it injured on the road outside, and took it into our back garden in case it was just stunned. half an hour later, it was clearly worse off so i decided to drown it (my previous attempt, in a similar situation, at wringing a bird's neck was disastrous). drowning an animal feels *cold*.

you have my sympathies. ive had to drown two bolloxed small finches years ago that some cats mangled

i had to put a jackdaw out of its misery earlier. found it injured on the road outside, and took it into our back garden in case it was just stunned. half an hour later, it was clearly worse off so i decided to drown it (my previous attempt, in a similar situation, at wringing a bird's neck was disastrous). drowning an animal feels *cold*.du
You have my sympathies too.

A while ago I was walking down the street and a dude on a bike was just standing over his bike on a dangerous corner. In front of him was a dead fox. Drunkenly I asked what was going on. A fox ran across the road because it was being chased by two domestic dogs. Fox got hit by a car. The cyclist (Chris, actor, from Derry, recent to London), just stood there on his bike up because "I just don't want to let it get squished". I said ah'igh, went back home got some bin bags and gloves. I asked Chris the actor "did you hit it?" He said "No! Of course not. But I watched it die. I watched it take its last breath". He was very actor-ish, but I respect his empathy. He meant it. He didn't know what mange was, so I tried to explain, this fox was riddled, so that probably it was for the best. Then I bagged up the poor fox and dumped it in the nearest bin.

Finding a dead animal and watching it die, or killing it, are very different things. Even my most nasty, Brexity, racist, misogynist, I-hate-everyone associates understand that.

a friend of my wife's lives on griffith avenue - the other night, their doorbell camera was triggered by a badger in their front garden.
Oh, I know that badger. He might be the lad that lives in that unused religious building grounds next to Gracepark Manner.

A kestrel or something flew over my feet this morning. Like, I walked out the door and it swooped past, allllmost brushed past my leg, I was looking almost straight down at him.
Then he carried on swooping about his business.

There was a mad looking moth at the honey suckle that's growing all over one of the walls here this evening.

The son's lizard was legging it about the place wolfing down honey suckle flowers and was enthusiastically eyeing wagtails who came down to splash about by the leaky hosepipe.

It's all go round here.

Funnily enough I saw a stoat or Pine Martin down Ventry beach this morning, never seen one before. Very exciting to me.

some good news from the crowd of treehuggers i'm involved with.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This looks amazing, any more details on what you do?

we have about a dozen sites around the country now; some were acquired/bought as 'greenfield' sites, some as existing woodland; one of the main goals of the lad who founded the organisation was protection of the little scraps of woodland which had slipped under the radar, and the site above is a good example, it's got a near full house on tree species and shrub species you might expect for the midlands, despite only originally being about 6 or 7 acres.
i can't get to the tweet (twitter is blocked in work) but this is possibly in the tweet; this is the site, we originally took over the horseshoe shaped piece of woodland which had survived because it's too steeply sloped (around the sides of a flat topped drumlin) and as per the above we'll be able to let it expand now.

some of the sites we have been doing planting on (and learning from our own mistakes too), but obviously the pendulum has swung to going hands-off with this sort of thing now, but we still do it on a couple of sites where there might not be a local seed bank nearby.
i say 'we' but it's been a few months since i actually attended any of the events (and that was manning the stand at bloom for a couple of days)

one issue with ireland is that when the ALEW (ancient and long established woodland) inventory was being done up a couple of decades ago, i think 5ac was their minimum size; during lockdown, one lad decided to crowdsource an effort to identify all the woodlands that might have been missed, using the OSI mapping going back to the 6 inch maps. i ended up doing donegal; we ended up grabbing him and he's now involved with the trust too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back