I saw a thing in the garden (2 Viewers)

There's a butterfly trapped in the wasp trap. Along with some wasps.
What a way to go.

Have any of you removed/destroyed a waps' nest and lived to tell the tale? Thinking of just turning the hose on it later when they're asleep.

where is it? is it exposed or are they behind a crack/crevice?

If the latter you can cut a piece of wood or plastic the same size as the hole, attach it to a wooden pole, lather some silicone on the business end and entomb the fuckers at dusk when they've gone back in.

if the latter - the hosepipe idea is actually not a bad one, as long as its not too big. and you have enough clearance

when we moved into our house I found a massive wasps next between the ceiling joists - it was about 30x40x15 cm - wasps were ex-wasps thankfully. when I was painting the ceiling in the room below the brush broke through the plaster board as they had eaten away at the other side. when I insulated the attic I had to knock the nest out through the hole in pieces while my wife stood there with a black plastic bag.

actually @therealjohnny did you say once you have an epi pen? if so perhaps ignore all advice above

where is it? is it exposed or are they behind a crack/crevice?

If the latter you can cut a piece of wood or plastic the same size as the hole, attach it to a wooden pole, lather some silicone on the business end and entomb the fuckers at dusk when they've gone back in.

if the latter - the hosepipe idea is actually not a bad one, as long as its not too big. and you have enough clearance

when we moved into our house I found a massive wasps next between the ceiling joists - it was about 30x40x15 cm - wasps were ex-wasps thankfully. when I was painting the ceiling in the room below the brush broke through the plaster board as they had eaten away at the other side. when I insulated the attic I had to knock the nest out through the hole in pieces while my wife stood there with a black plastic bag.

actually @therealjohnny did you say once you have an epi pen? if so perhaps ignore all advice above
The nest is on the corner of the garden, low down in a pile of old cut-off branches. I haven't gone close enough to see how big it is. The air is full of wasps over there though.

Yes, I was prescribed an epi-pen but that was for a food-related allergy that hasn't recurred (yet) so I stopped getting the pen. They're too expensive, cumbersome and they expire too quickly.

But that's for another threa.

The nest is on the corner of the garden, low down in a pile of old cut-off branches. I haven't gone close enough to see how big it is. The air is full of wasps over there though.

Yes, I was prescribed an epi-pen but that was for a food-related allergy that hasn't recurred (yet) so I stopped getting the pen. They're too expensive, cumbersome and they expire too quickly.

But that's for another threa.

aha - my dads approach to a situation like that in the 80s was to go out at night and horse petrol on them before setting it alight.

probably illegal now..

There was a tiny wasp nest beginning in our shed at the beginning of summer and i annihilated it with this stuff one evening.

It shoots out super fast and expands nicely. But I did have a good visual and it was a small nest, probably less than golf ball sized.

There was a tiny wasp nest beginning in our shed at the beginning of summer and i annihilated it with this stuff one evening.

It shoots out super fast and expands nicely. But I did have a good visual and it was a small nest, probably less than golf ball sized.

Might be worth a go, thanks!

i had a golf ball sized nest in the shed, just knocked it off the ceiling and sprayed something like WD40 IIRC where it had been anchored.

Another non actual garden sighting, but close enough, I saw a pair of otters playing the other day.

I've been seeing otters a fair amount by me, they're sweet little things, constantly moving, but never a pair playing like this before. There was a kestrel half a km further along doing her hover thing.

just watched the second part of the two part colin stafford johnson program on planting up an acre for wildlife. well worth a watch - the photography is sumptuous, and the wisdom might be a little homespun, but it's nice eye candy with good looking critters. i think the first episode had a little more focus though.
it's repeated on BBC1 NI on wednesday evening, i think.

we've seen a major dropoff in fox activity here in the last few months - maybe due to the time of year, but we're also wondering if it's also due to the return of students to DCU, so there's probably a food source back over around the student accomodation which was missing for the previous year.

the wasps will be dying off now, so it's going to be less of an issue as the weather gets colder. it'll go inactive over the winter, only hibernating queens will be left.

They’re hardier up here in Dundalk. We’ve had a nest in our roof since summer, feckers were active till only a couple of weeks ago (they swarmed on an unfortunate bird last month). I think we killed the queen, if that was the giant wasp Bee found in the house the other day. Other than that we’ve we had at least 10 in various states of death throes coming out of the attic. The last time we had a nest, about 4 years ago I think, we had wasps crawling on the floor on bloody Xmas week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back