I saw a thing in the garden (4 Viewers)

unfortunately also, one of the places i know inside the M50 where we'd have often seen buzzards is going to be turned into a superdepot for the council.

If I didn't know better I'd say I just saw a kookaburra.

Absolute ringer, just perched on a power line, all by himself there. There's bizarre looking birds round this Kinsale area altogether. I'm amazed by things here almost weekly. I wonder do birder people like it out here?

I have no idea what that yoke was. I should have stopped and tried to take a photo, but I've no camera other than my rubbish phone one.

I'd love to know what it could have been. (Going out on a limb and saying it's likely not a Kookaburra.)

nightjar maybe?
(as in what the bird possibly was, not the reason you saw it)
didn't see the reply there... just looked up what a Nightjar looks like, the beak is wrong.

This lad had a beak kind of the depth of his head if you get me. Like the top of his head rounded over on the top, and then turned into beak.
He was squat looking too, like he had no neck. Also that patchy colouring too, but a bit darker? It was above me and the sun was a little behind it, but as I passed I could see mainly brown with white patches, like the nightjar but maybe a bit bigger white patches.

I'm annoyed that I didn't stop. I was driving on tiny country roads, by the time I'd be able to find a spot to turn I'd be struggling to find him again even if he was still sat there.

Kingfisher?
That... could have been it. Hmm. I didn't notice crazy blue colouring, but the sun was behind him kind of.
Good idea. I always assumed they only exist on river banks, but there's water near where I saw him.

OK. I'm going with kingfisher until I get any better offers. Nice one!

I might have to retract the kingfisher hypothesis, looking at the size of them.

This lad was about the size of a sturdy crow. And, the beak was even bigger/deeper than a kingfisher I think. He did have that sloping head blending into the back shape though.

He looked like the kind of bird that might get involved with drug dealing, and/or protecting other bird drug dealers.

A cockchafer just flew in making a noise like one of those WWII yokes the Germans sent over trying to blow up London.

I've put it outside a few times, but he keeps droning back in. He's going to end up being lizard food at this rate.

A cockchafer just flew in making a noise like one of those WWII yokes the Germans sent over trying to blow up London.
kinda interesting feature of a plane - kinda an instrument (musical) played by driving a plane towards the earth

The Junkers Ju 87 or Stuka (from Sturzkampfflugzeug, "dive bomber") was a German dive-bomber and ground-attack aircraft. Designed by Hermann Pohlmann, it first flew in 1935. The Ju 87 made its combat debut in 1937 with the Luftwaffe's Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939 and served in Axis forces in World War II (1939-1945).

The aircraft is easily recognisable by its inverted gull wings and fixed spatted undercarriage. Upon the leading edges of its faired main gear legs were mounted the Jericho-Trompeten (Jericho trumpets [de]) - wailing sirens, which became a propaganda symbol of German air power and of the so-called Blitzkrieg victories of 1939–1942 - as well as providing Stuka pilots with audible feedback as to speed. The Stuka's design included several innovations, including automatic pull-up dive brakes under both wings to ensure that the aircraft recovered from its attack dive even if the pilot blacked out from the high g-forces.

Speaking of trumpets, where can you buy a Carnyx?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've put it outside a few times, but he keeps droning back in. He's going to end up being lizard food at this rate.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think because of the heat a wren family has moved to about 2M from my office window.

I'm just sitting here watching them feed the kids and forage and stuff, which is class because they are complete recluses and you normally just see the foraging one while the rest skulk about in the undergowth

This morning, not technically in my garden, but right outside, the postman parked up his bike and went off about his business. It’s one of those huge delivery box ones (actually a trike now that I think of it), so hard to miss.

A few minutes later I heard the unmistakeable roar of a motorbike pulling up just across the road. A big one - a Harley, I think. The guy riding it was in full biker gang gear - visorless helmet, shades, black jeans, boots, black tshirt and a sleeveless leather waistcoat with a big logo on the back. So he gets off the motorbike and strolls over to the postman’s delivery bike… and pushes it up on one side and starts rooting around.

I couldn’t see what he was up to for a couple of minutes because the box on the back was obstructing my view, but then the postman comes back and stands about 6 feet away talking to the biker, just out of earshot. He didn’t look too upset but i wasn’t sure what exactly was going on so kept watching.

After a couple of minutes the biker lad heads back over to his bike, gets what looks like a foot long black bar out of one of his big leather (of course) saddlebags and strolls back over… and starts pumping up the inner tube he was replacing on the postman’s bike.

I have many questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back