I saw a thing in the garden (2 Viewers)

Dunno about the endangered list, but they're definitely protected

We have a Coal Tit flying from one window to another in the house, fighting his reflection in each one. Been going on for a week
Oh man. Every. Morning. For minutes at a time.

Relentless. He's become my alarm clock now.

I saw three buzzards, and a pair of ravens. There's at least two stoats (we think) that jump onto my roof, and there's bats that live sort of inside the roof somehow. Between the gap of the roof and the ceiling, you can hear them getting ready to go out at night.

The place is absolutely rife with foxes, they have their little paths, and take shites along them. I saw a frog earlier today, and spawn left in the middle of a field for some reason.

Bats in our roof too FWIW. Are yours out of hibernation already?
I suppose they are. Flappy little boys.

I was given an old farmhouse that's been sitting for a while, and I've been spending the last week trying to heat the bastard up. I hope I didn't wake them with all my heating efforts.

another hog added to the collection today. he's blind, which he's not being released into the wild. we've called him stevie trundler.View attachment 14010

poor wee stevie went to the great big hog box in the sky this evening. turns out he was a good bit older than we thought, probably 6 or 7, and had cataracts and prostate cancer. so he was PTS this evening.

Thanks for fixing that. It was actually driving me mad.

What is that? a sparrowhawk?

So the one thing I can say that I'm almost sure of: there's more raptors in Ireland than there was 20 odd years ago.

I'm seeing kestrels and buzzards multiple times a day these days. I saw an owl (a white looking one?) the other day, the first I've ever seen in Ireland.

A thing I've learned that I think is class is quite a number of raptors can see into the UV range of EM radiation. So why? Turns out that piss can be seen with UV light, and mice and things piss almost all the time. So the little trails that mice and things run up and down through fields will light up like purple highways to kestrels. All they have to do is keep an eye on those lit up tracks, and pick off any movement along them.

I love it. This made several of my days, watching kestrels knowing what they're up to.

we reckon it was a fledgling blackbird the sparrowhawk had.
and around dublin, there's been a huge change in the number of raptors - buzzards and kites would have been absent here 20 years ago, but the former returned on their own and the latter were reintroduced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back