I saw a thing in the garden (4 Viewers)

This robin was feeding her chicks last week
Greedy, noisy, insatiably hungry little things, bursting with all that life in the world

1590878403707.png
1590878487893.png
They're living on the barbers out back

I drenched a portion of the yard where I was working to bring up some worms and got company from this guy

1590878538084.png

Then this morning two of the chicks were in the grass, learning to fly; like they couldn't get too high, but they were figuring it out.
Lovely stuff.

another hog added to the collection today. he's blind, which he's not being released into the wild. we've called him stevie trundler.
stevie when he's feeling a little more social:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

latest arrival. i call him hank, but my wife did a lottery for friend's kids and friends of hers to name him, and somehow came up with mark hedges figgis, so his name is hank.
he only has three legs, cos someone hit him with a strimmer or lawnmower, and i think he's still a little spaced out from the painkillers after the op.

View attachment 13965
this little bastard. he went missing a week ago, and for love nor money, we could not find him. tore the garden asunder. little prick had decided our hospitality clearly wasn't good enough and had climbed six foot up through the ivy over the garden wall and had fallen in next door. we've renamed him paul newman. he only has three legs, so fair fucks to the little guy.

In my new house there's a symphony of different bird song when we open the doors in the morning, it's fucking glorious.

I live out in the sticks and it's a constant presence but funnily enough during lockdown when there wasn't even the ambient noise of cars a few hundred yards away it really sprang to life for me. Heard a cuckoo for the first time ever around here, that was exciting.

I don't know if this happens at different times in different places, but all the bugs were out today. It's the most amount of insects I've seen in years.

I saw a flying ant land, and it's wings just fell off. It scurried away. I saw a grasshopper not two feet from me. Little lad looked at me for ages and then bounced. I remember always hearing them growing up, they were like the foley of crickets and toads in old American movies, but I don't remember ever actually seeing one.

All those things that were flying around the last few days, I now realise are bats. I thought they were swallows or starlings or something else. But they weren't just flying around the back of the house, which is gardenial(?), they were flitting around the front of the gaff, which is one of the busiest roads in London.

There's 15 or so bats. They're giving it all they got, but I do assume such a small group is doomed. Any bat-helping tips most welcome.

i wouldn't say they're doomed based on there being 15 of them?
we see them occasionally in our garden, never more than one or two at a time.

Based on any relevant nature documentary I've seen, they usually hang out in the thousands, if not tens of thousands? Edumacate me.

Edit: They hang out in hundreds, but eat tens of thousands of flying things, which of course, they're are much less of nowadays.

Last edited:
not in these parts of the world; i did a quick google to confirm and found this:
" Average maternity colony sizes are about 50 bats although most roosts are much smaller. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back