I saw a thing in the garden (2 Viewers)

Three little birds came by my window

There are three fledgling tits in the back yard that are in danger of getting eaten by my cats or dogs. For now I've closed the windows so the cats can't get out , and will hold off letting the dogs out for a while.

So, do they need rescuing? The parent is busy coming and going feeding them, even when I'm standing a foot away, so I don't know if this means this is expected behaviour.

View attachment 12825

Cats will get them before they even hatch by climbing up the trees and knocking the eggs to the ground and wrecking the nest. 🐈 = prick.

I have never seen a live grasshopper in my life and then my wife found one when we were out on a walk last week. Then today, I found another on my way home:

Attachments

• 7B67383E-A00F-480C-A618-5140FD3C3A4E.jpeg
    7B67383E-A00F-480C-A618-5140FD3C3A4E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
No disrespect to @Cornu Ammonis intended here, but you'd be surprised at how little people notice. Mrs. egg_ is a bat-ologist, and at one stage (late 90s/early 00s maybe) was doing studies of bat activity in urban parks. The park constable in Stephen's Green swore blind that he had never seen a bat in all his years working in the place, but the place was full of them

How have you never seen a grasshopper in your life up until last week?!
Because I’ve never seen one? I certainly don’t recall ever seeing one. My wife had never seen one either. I’ve never seen a badger either that wasn’t roadkill or stuffed.

No disrespect to @Cornu Ammonis intended here, but you'd be surprised at how little people notice. Mrs. egg_ is a bat-ologist, and at one stage (late 90s/early 00s maybe) was doing studies of bat activity in urban parks. The park constable in Stephen's Green swore blind that he had never seen a bat in all his years working in the place, but the place was full of them
we once went on an organised bat walk along the dodder, beside the dropping well; a chap wandered past with his dog, said 'i've been walking my dog here in the evenings for 25 years, there's no bats here'.
within 60 seconds of stopping and looking he was slightly astonished and somewhat sheepish.

We don't get any animals in our garden (at the moment)... but we've got to put in trees etc. so hopefully that'll change.

Anyway... I'm still hoping to see a live badger in the wild. I'll be doing volunteering down in the Kildare Animal Foundation so I'll see all sorts there.

We had a hedgehog in our car a few weeks ago. I believe pine martens are bastards to handle!

Once had a fox circle around and around me when I was on my bike (I had a bit of shopping with me).

And yeah... bats are everywhere. Whenever I take our dog for a walk at night they're usually flying about in the green area at the back of our estate.

Because I’ve never seen one? I certainly don’t recall ever seeing one. My wife had never seen one either. I’ve never seen a badger either that wasn’t roadkill or stuffed.

That’s bananas to me that you’ve never seen an insect that’s so loud at night down country.

And I’ve never seen a living badger either. Many dead ones though !

we once went on an organised bat walk along the dodder, beside the dropping well; a chap wandered past with his dog, said 'i've been walking my dog here in the evenings for 25 years, there's no bats here'.
within 60 seconds of stopping and looking he was slightly astonished and somewhat sheepish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They certainly weren’t a regular feature of life in south Dublin. Moths, ants, wasps, bees, silverfish, snails, slugs - that was about it. I found a shield beetle once.

They certainly weren’t a regular feature of life in south Dublin. Moths, ants, wasps, bees, silverfish, snails, slugs - that was about it. I found a shield beetle once.

Ah you missed out on the once dense rural landscape of west Dublin.
Nah only heard those hopper lads down the country

Has anyone ever heard a corncrake anywhere, ever?

My old man used to tell of being tormented by them squawking all night. I've never heard one.

I looked out the window of my apartment at the trees the other day, and staring calmly back was a raccoon. Thing is I'm on the 4th floor. The raccoon was strolling about more than 15 meters up, balancing on branches and stuff. Decent enough.

Has anyone ever heard a corncrake anywhere, ever?

My old man used to tell of being tormented by them squawking all night. I've never heard one.

I looked out the window of my apartment at the trees the other day, and staring calmly back was a raccoon. Thing is I'm on the 4th floor. The raccoon was strolling about more than 15 meters up, balancing on branches and stuff. Decent enough.

Yeah a few but I spend a fair bit of time in the absolute wilderness.

Heard three curlews this week but I did traverse about 100km of shorline

Yeah a few but I spend a fair bit of time in the absolute wilderness.

Heard three curlews this week but I did traverse about 100km of shorline

Excellent. Do you remember where they were?

I have heard and seen curlews, but I grew up along the sea. There were also lads with straight beaks that looked a bit like them. Godwits?

I just thought to look up corncrakes on YouTube. Man. Fairly strange sounding things. Their latin name is *Crex crex*... haha.

America has humming birds. Ridiculous animals really. Class, but look like a terrible idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back