I saw a thing in the garden (1 Viewer)

The old man came down to the gaff to visit, and decided to put up some bird feeders because he noticed there were heaps of little birds shooting about.

What ended up happening was the local rooks learned about the bird feeders, descended onto the place in a massive gang, ate everything in sight and then wrecked the place when they ran out of food. Like they were kicking things over, digging up plants to chuck them about a bit, flinging the feeder about the place so hard that it broke. They then went off and had a fight with the seagulls.

So that won't be happening again.

Things have calmed down since, we're back to a pair of swallows nesting in one of the out buildings, and a family of robins and various other small lads hopping about. Lads that don't get shitfaced and follow Millwall FC.

Those swallows must be very slow to build the nests? I can barely see their construction and it's getting into June now.

I assume I've seen this guy twice in the past 2 evenings. Or I've seen 2 different hedgehogs on consecutive nights.

I've been told that it/they must be nesting around here as they rarely come out when it's as bright as it has been around 8PM this week.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love their little waddle.

Another one that's not really in the garden, but I found a buzzard nest by me along the cliffs this morning.

The racket they make is nuts. I'd never have known there was even a nest around, but they were shouting and flying around like lunatics until eventually I noticed them ducking into a little crag on the cliff.

I didn't think buzzards nested on sea cliffs, but I suppose they must.

I have noticed this with the swallows and starlings and other various birds nesting by me, they'd be roaring and shouting on the way into the nest, drawing attention to themselves I'd have thought. I tried point blank standing and staring at a starling who's nesting along the house, and she did notice and refused to go into the nest until I looked away for a few seconds. So starlings get the idea that I shouldn't be looking at least.

I don't get it though. I'd have thought you'd do a very stealthy entrance/exit. Not 5 minutes of circling, howling, acrobatics and then hop into the nest.

I assume I've seen this guy twice in the past 2 evenings. Or I've seen 2 different hedgehogs on consecutive nights.

I've been told that it/they must be nesting around here as they rarely come out when it's as bright as it has been around 8PM this week.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hedgehogs are great. If you want to know more about them, check out Bev Truss' work (Hogsprickle) here in Ireland.

This has happened twice now, so I'm reporting it.
A sound like a badly tuned bass string twang has come from the sea at the end of my garden.
Like it's clearly audible, it's happened about the same time twice now, at around 11pm.

It's almost like a low sonar sound? But loud, a single one, and I can hear it on the land.

when I say it's coming from the sea, but it's coming from all directions it feels like. I can't gauge direction, it's left/front/right, all of the sea, but not the land behind me, not the house.

It feels weird, and it's a loud clear sound. I'll have to ask if anyone else hears this. Place is quiet, and it's a Friday night so basically everyone's locked anyway.

when I say it's coming from the sea, but it's coming from all directions it feels like. I can't gauge direction, it's left/front/right, all of the sea, but not the land behind me, not the house.

It feels weird, and it's a loud clear sound. I'll have to ask if anyone else hears this. Place is quiet, and it's a Friday night so basically everyone's locked anyway.
That's your heartbeat.

Is there a fastnet lighthouse tour? I suspect that either they'll know, or whatever ominous thing it is that's homing in on you it is will see that as an opportunity

Foghorn? You'd have heard it before now though.
there was a foghorn on the lighthouse by me, but they must have turned it off because I've not heard anything since December and there's been foggy days.
Actually I was talking to this woman who was picking up my census and while she was standing at the door she was looking at the lighthouse. I must have said something, and she told me that her old man ran that lighthouse and she'd live out there on the weekends (because she had to go to school on the weekdays). She was saying one of her last memories there was watching Italia 90, with a few of them, roaring around in this massive lighthouse tower.

But it's not a long sound like a horn at all. It would be almost more like you got a long iron bar and hung it with a rope, and then got another bar and wrapped it with something and clanged the bar. Sort of a THUNGGGG noise, a second or two long, nothing before and nothing after.

Is there a fastnet lighthouse tour? I suspect that either they'll know, or whatever ominous thing it is that's homing in on you it is will see that as an opportunity
dunno. Yer one I mentioned above whose old man ran the lighthouse by me got stationed on the Fastnet too. She said she hated that post, he'd be gone for some unknown time and she wasn't allowed over to visit because it was bedlum have the bloody time out there. He himself wasn't even able to get out of the tower for months sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back