i hate this guy (1 Viewer)

This guy drives me up the wall. He represents so many things that I have an irrational aversion to. I've subscribed to him because the hatred keeps me sharp.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Obviously it's the subject of the tweets, not this Twitterer

This guy drives me up the wall. He represents so many things that I have an irrational aversion to. I've subscribed to him because the hatred keeps me sharp.

I was going to say, "why the hate?" but as it went on, I got it. I think it's because he's talking to Americans, who often don't travel outside the US.

Take 1 month? Fuck that, I'd go insane

With a kid, yeah I would. Without a kid... a month would be ideal. My best holiday ever was 5 weeks. Amazing.

I've never taken a week long holiday where I wasn't itching for it to be over with about 2 days to go. Bar my post christmas do nothing week off I don't like taking more than 4 TBH.

I've never taken a week long holiday where I wasn't itching for it to be over with about 2 days to go. Bar my post christmas do nothing week off I don't like taking more than 4 TBH.
How do you relax in only 4 days? It takes two days to settle and then you have the following two days knowing you're leaving and thinking about all you need to do when you get back. That's not a holiday, that's just travel.

I invariably work through my holidays on non work stuff unless I organise something. Even then it has to involve effort. But I don't have kids but entirely comprehend people who just want to be warm and staring into middle distance for a while.

How do you relax in only 4 days?

What is "relax"?

I honestly hate going to places just to go to a place, I'd sooner sit at home in peace. Pretty much all my travel in the 15 years pre-my current relationship has been "event travel", I'm going to a festival or a match or a gig and when that's over I want to be at home doing the things I enjoy.

In the last few years I've done a lot of going to places, if the company wasn't so good I'd view it as a waste of time and money.

What is "relax"?

I honestly hate going to places just to go to a place, I'd sooner sit at home in peace. Pretty much all my travel in the 15 years pre-my current relationship has been "event travel", I'm going to a festival or a match or a gig and when that's over I want to be at home doing the things I enjoy.

In the last few years I've done a lot of going to places, if the company wasn't so good I'd view it as a waste of time and money.
I find that mind boggling. I absolutely love exploring new places. City breaks, country breaks, renting a car or bike and exploring. I’d never consider money spent on an adventure or experience a waste of money.

A fancy car that depreciates the second off the lot, or big fuck off wedding, on the other hand, that I’d consider a waste.

i don't think myself and the wife have ever travelled *just* for an event. if we go abroad for an event (e.g. for a wedding) we usually book 5 days or a week so we get to explore the area too.
for example, the wedding we were at in venice about 18 months ago. i'd have considered it lunacy to just fly in and out for the wedding, and not turn it into a holiday (unless you had no choice).

I find that mind boggling. I absolutely love exploring new places. City breaks, country breaks, renting a car or bike and exploring. I’d never consider money spent on an adventure or experience a waste of money.

In part it's an opportunity cost thing, what else could I be doing with my time? Heaven for me is a comfy sofa in an empty room with a good football match on. I thrive on routine and going places just disrupts that and discombobulates me.

Being somewhere not pursuing the narrow range of things I'm genuinely passionate about just makes me fret about

1. all the time I'm wasting not doing things I actually want to do when I've so little time for them and/or
2. the horrible shit that is building up for me in my job that I hate and the trip is preventing me doing the things I'd like to allow me to try to stop doing that.

I don't consider a second spent with herself to be time wasted but I'm not flying around the place to make myself happy. Plus there's the inevitable anxiety in the 48 hours before the trip related to missing my flight which makes me want to not go at all.

I'm not saying the things we see and do aren't interesting, they're just absolutely not the things I'd choose to do with my time.

A fancy car that depreciates the second off the lot, or big fuck off wedding, on the other hand, that I’d consider a waste.
I certainly agree with that sentiment. Now records and guitars, that's a different story.

I haven't gone on holiday since I was 17 in 1993.
Just can't get excited about it.
1993 coincided with me starting to make music contacts all over the place by mail.

I love talking, writing to and listening to music by people from around the world. Ireland is boring and I always put more stock on foreigners opinions.
So I have records from at least 70 UN countries but I have no desire to go anywhere.

from an environmental viewpoint a lot have people have overdone traveling.

I have to travel nearly 100 miles to get to Dublin which doesn't bother me.
some of the same people who think that is a long way to go for a gig, fly all over the place.

How do you relax in only 4 days? It takes two days to settle and then you have the following two days knowing you're leaving and thinking about all you need to do when you get back. That's not a holiday, that's just travel.
I think this process really needs three weeks at least. The first week to switch off from non-holiday life totally, second week is like what even is my job and you have two more weeks and third week you know you're leaving but you still have another week. I haven't managed three weeks since 2018, hopefully in the autumn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back