[i]from the onion[/i] (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
Horrible Band Obviously Not Listening To Its Influences

SAN DIEGO— Puddle Of Mudd, a dreary nü-metal rock band that cites Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Metallica as influences, is obviously not listening to those influences. "Zep, Sabbath, Metallica, Maiden, Aerosmith—growing up, that's what we listened to, and that's what shaped our sound," said lead singer Wes Scantlin, whose mopey, monotone vocals in no way bear the stamp of Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or his other idols. Scantlin, who made the comments during an interview Monday with Spin reporter Charles Aaron, failed to say which part of Puddle Of Mudd's atrocious new ballad "Drift & Die" resembles "When The Levee Breaks" or "Sweet Emotion."

Question.. What is nu-metal? Is it a certain style of metal or is it any metal made by a band who became well known during or after 1998 or so????

Just wondering, because it seems to me that the second option is the case.

Originally posted by Dan
Question.. What is nu-metal? Is it a certain style of metal or is it any metal made by a band who became well known during or after 1998 or so????

Just wondering, because it seems to me that the second option is the case.

love that ad for golden grahams where the two brothers are fighting and one goes "nu-metal!!" and the other goes "nah! speed garage!!"

i think it might be a style though, i'm sure there are quite a few metal fans who would be a bit miffed to discover that anything after 98 was 'nu'.

i always took nu-metal to mean that metal-ish stuff which was hip hop infused (fred durst *ptheuu*)

By following these simple and easy to follow guide you too can form your own nu-metal band, musical proficiency not needed.

1) You must cover an 1980s novelty song for your debut release. This is not an option

2) You need a gimmick. This is essentially important for the vocalist (they're not singers) be it bullied at school, self-mutilation, playing the bagpipes or spooky appearance.

3) Recruit a female bassist. This will lead to initial magazine exposure before the critics notice you can't actually play. By this time you will have built up a hardcore following of teenage boys.

4) Write some songs. About 12 will fill up an album. Don't worry about B-Sides, use crap remixes instead. A whole remix album would be perfect!

5) Incorporate a trendy DJ member into the band for that 21st Century feel.

6) Claim to be "down" with your fans. Express your thoughts on topics you have no clue about such as the Presidential elections and rage how much Britney Spears sucks. Never speak up about anything remotely important.

7) Recruit lots of band members. About eight or nine is about right. Having three members is so passe nowadays.

8) Request famed nu-metal produced Ross Robinson to produce your debut. He will declare it to be most intense, pissed-off music ever released. Until the next one.

9) Claim Black Sabbath are your favourite band. Even if you've never heard of them, it's just cool to declare the Brummies as 'gods'.

10) Get the music press to compare your band to the Deftones and Tool and moan about how much you hate the comparisons. Put across that your own band are here to save music from all the rubbish currently in the charts even if your band are indeed rubbish.

You have not completed the 10 steps to becoming a trendy US nu-metal band. Go forth and sell one million copies of your debut album to the America youth and then disappear.

I originally thought that nu metal had a sort of hip hop/ rap element to it like you say hopper. But Puddle of Mudd?? They're said to be nu-metal and theres none of that at all. Even Tool are described as nu-metal by some people. They've been in existence since 1990 and you couldn't get further from hip hop. ...so what is it?? Any metal thats popular nowadays???

Originally posted by hopper
i always took nu-metal to mean that metal-ish stuff which was hip hop infused (fred durst *ptheuu*)

That's pretty much what it is.
Nu-metal (or nu-death ) pretty much removes all of the elements of metal that showed musical talent and reduced it to those boring grind power chords , with poor druming that may in some cases just get as good as blast beat (ie slipknott) . Then they stick some gobshite with a turntable into the mix and dress in hip-hop clothes. Bands such as Machine Head \Korn are credited with being the creators of the genre, but there were already elements of it in Sepultura's early to mid 90's releases (chaos AD and even moreso with Roots). Unfortunatley it gets about 99% of tv\radio airtime allocated to 'metal' .

There's still lots of decent real metal out there . Just have to know where to look .

Well, was reading an article on Hot Press where Korn were defined as the ones who invented Nu-Metal (???)

I think there's a bit of confusion between Nu-Metal the genre and the NU wave of metal of the last 5-6 years

1_ Nu Metal as a genre

(Limp Bizkits, Linkin' Park, P.O.D, Papa Roach, etc.)

_30 seconds of Drum and Bass with rap vocals
_20 seconds of Chorus with heavy guitars (usually sung)
_Repeat the verse
_Repeat the chorus
_20 seconds of noise
_Repeat the chorus
_Repeat the chorus

Note: Say "fuck" or "motherfucker" at least three times each verse 'cause MTV needs to censure it

2_ NU wave of metal of the last 5-6 years

After Metallica's Black Album for a few years Metal disappeard from the mainstream channels and was replaced mostly by Brit Pop (Oasis, Radiohead and clones...).
After this black-out period all these proper NU Metal Band started to invade the media, hence the generalisation: if there are heavy guitars and doesn't sound Brit, then it's Nu-Metal.... easy, huh?

This is probably why bands like Puddle of Mudd are considered Nu-Metal even if have Feckin' to do with metal , I mean, they're not new, neither are Metal!

Originally posted by Wayne
but there were already elements of it in Sepultura's early to mid 90's releases (chaos AD and even moreso with Roots).

True!

But Sepultura's Chaos AD is a kick ass album for the genre, I love it!

This new bands instead sounds all the same... however their age has gone and even NU fans now are there like " OK that was cool.... so, what's next?!?!"

Unfortunately the new mainstream trend seems to be bands like "SUM41" or "A" which are playing one cliche song per genre (first single NU metal, second happy core, third electro, etc.) only because it sells well.... That's fuckin' disgusting......

Where the hell are indie ROCK bands????? There are loads of excellent indie bands in Dublin but no one that plays the genre, this is odd! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who still plays rock....

Originally posted by Alex

Hello

:confused:

[whispered]Dude... there is an ablum called Raised on Rock on sale now... It's obvious to Anthony that you havent heard it yet[/whispered]

Originally posted by Ian

[whispered]Dude... there is an ablum called Raised on Rock on sale now... It's obvious to Anthony that you havent heard it yet[/whispered]

[whispered] Cheers Bud, didn't hear it yet indeed I'll go to the next gig but don't tell Anthony, do not tell him!! [/whispered]

There was also another excellent band LABEL around (despite controversies about the Eddie Wedder's vocals)

Have anybody heard of them since the EP release?

Originally posted by Tony Francis
7) Recruit lots of band members. About eight or nine is about right. Having three members is so passe nowadays.

This is so true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back