I am a proud Craft Beer convert -- the Hipsters were right. (1 Viewer)

On advantage of the old beer regime though was all beers were around the same % alcohol. These days you have a couple of pints in a pub and have no idea how drunk you're going to get, specially if someone else if buying. Was playing bass in my local on Friday and getting my beer paid for, ended the evening lying in the garden of my house looking at stars coming out, and seeing them all double

Gives your night out a little bit of mystery. ‘Will I be hammered in one hour or Two?’

The amount of nights I’ve had to cut short because I’ve been too langers to continue because of strong beers and a declining tolerance for booze as well has been an eye opener for in terms of pacing and knowing when I need a pint of water.
Also ‘session’ IPAs are great for nights out coz they’re not usually more than 4% and tasty.

My favourite session IPAs are Founders ‘all day IPA’ (although it’s 4.2%) & a buddy’s beer ‘rollover’ by Whiplash.
Also Little Bangin IPA by McGargles is tops aswell.

A list of beers I like would be too long, I’d be quicker saying what I don’t like

Last edited:
Gives your night out a little bit of mystery. ‘Will I be hammered in one hour or Two?’

The amount of nights I’ve had to cut short because I’ve been too langers to continue because of strong beers and a declining tolerance for booze as well has been an eye opener for in terms of pacing and knowing when I need a pint of water.
Also ‘session’ IPAs are great for nights out coz they’re not usually more than 4% and tasty.

My favourite session IPAs are Founders ‘all day IPA’ (although it’s 4.2%) & a buddy’s beer ‘rollover’ by Whiplash.
Also Little Bangin IPA by McGargles is tops aswell.

A list of beers I like would be too long, I’d be quicker saying what I don’t like

They do Founders on tap in Sin E - lovely beer!

im gonna be based around rathmines for the weekend, specifically pretty close to slatteries pub. can anyone direct me to an offee with a decent selection of craft beer around that neck of the woods?

im gonna be based around rathmines for the weekend, specifically pretty close to slatteries pub. can anyone direct me to an offee with a decent selection of craft beer around that neck of the woods?
No offies in Rathmines these days. You'll have to go to Redmond's in Ranelagh - which is great - unless you can settle for Lidl/Aldi/Tesco. If you happen to be in the city centre. Stephen St news beside the Hairy Lemon is great for craft beers. Any 4 for €10. Slattery's is a great boozer.

No offies in Rathmines these days. You'll have to go to Redmond's in Ranelagh - which is great - unless you can settle for Lidl/Aldi/Tesco. If you happen to be in the city centre. Stephen St news beside the Hairy Lemon is great for craft beers. Any 4 for €10. Slattery's is a great boozer.
cheers man

Any offies in the North Side stocking Rascals Coffee Stout? I have recently converted to IPAs thanks to them.

Some grand IPAs in LIDL / Aldi.
They stock McGargles who have also upped their game

McGargles? Have they? Always thought they were kinda shit - O'Shea's too, pretty much a 2nd rate O'Hara's. Will have to give them another chance.

The Boyne Brewery is making some nice beers these days, dunno if they're available much outside Co. Meath though

McGargles? Have they? Always thought they were kinda shit - O'Shea's too, pretty much a 2nd rate O'Hara's. Will have to give them another chance.

The Boyne Brewery is making some nice beers these days, dunno if they're available much outside Co. Meath though

Brewer friend was headhunted by McGargles a few years ago to improve their beers.
And he has done a super job and moved on to starting up his own beers.

Medal and prize winning tastiness all round

O'Shea's too, pretty much a 2nd rate O'Hara's

O'Shea's is brewed by O'Hara's exclusively for Aldi. I guess the recipes are just a tiny bit different from the core O'Hara's beers although I've never done a side by side tasting. They make a stout as well for M&S which I haven't had in ages.

This is a useful roundup of Aldi beers whenever I'm putting in an order with the parents when visiting home!

Last edited:
good Lidl offer this week. picked up this 6er earlier. intention is to just have the occasional one some nights, being around the 10%. will see how that goes...

Catching up on Irish beer after quite a while:

The excellent - Larkin's Single Hop Strata;
The very good - Eight Degrees Glen of Imaal, Kinnegar Black Bucket, Wicklow Wolf Apex;
The decent - Yellowbelly Kellerbier, Yellowbelly Citra, Porterhouse XXXX, Wicklow Wolf Elevation;
The get down the sink - Whiplash Horse Power, Whiplash All Together, DOT Straight Up.

I'm sure the Yellowbelly Citra was much better when I've had it before. The Whiplash and DOT beers did nothing to change my mind that 87% of IPA variants in 440ml cans never deserve to leave whatever brewery they come from. Not to say the style isn't completely without its merits bit it is so hit and miss.

440ml is a trend and you get to charge the same as if it was a 500ml can or bottle. And you can't make a 500ml bottle look as cool as a can.

The logic of schooner sizes in Australia, from what I was told, is it’s the right amount before beer starts to get warm and go flat in the heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back