I am a proud Craft Beer convert -- the Hipsters were right. (1 Viewer)

Can you still ask for "a pint of beer" and expect to get Smithwicks?

No.

I like craft beers but I kinda feel like there is a bit of an upselling policy going on around here. Like can i have 'A'? yes sure, hey have you tried 'B'? Its like 'A' except a little more 'C'. And they always have an ornate beard. I've found going in and asking for 'beer, not too strong' kinda stops this happening. They don't give you smithwicks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My fave beer is Lagunitas IPA. Its very nice and never gives me a hangover.

yeah, my offee game has picked up over the years. Still a Smithwicks man more often than not when out, if it's on tap. but my go to bottle from the offee these days is 8 degrees citra IPA. so fucking tasty. (Irish Distillers i.e. jameson have bought 8 degrees in the last month, primarily for their caskmates range apparently).

Eight-Degrees-Brewing-Citra-Single-Hop-IPA-PNG-TRANSPARENT-BG.png

Beavertown sells a minority stake to Heineken (and everyone assumes that stake is 49.9% because it hasn't been stated). And Heineken owns 100% of Lagunitas. And Ab-InBev owns Camden Town Brewery. Not that any of this stops me from drinking these beers or anything. Trying to keep up with who owns who is exhausting.

This is what they did with Lagunitas a couple of years ago. Buy 49%, the brewery say they are selling to leverage the distribution of the big 'family' run company, then 18months later when the outrage and people stop shouting sellouts they buy the rest. Heineken get a company with craft creds and the owners get rich.

8 Degrees were bought by Pernod Ricard last month as well so they are no longer craft either.

Good beer is good beer whether it's labelled craft or not but the tactics the macros are using to hurt smaller breweries is shite. But that's business.

Anyway, rant over. I'm scoffing magic rock Human cannonball and neo-human cannonball tonight. The first one is ok, DIPA that has a good balance between the hop bitterness and 9.1% alcohol. Neo is a much juicer drink.

Had a lovely 12% Maple Imperial Stout in Alfie Byrne's after seeing some Gamelan in the NCH the other night. I'm extremely cultured.

Anyway, rant over. I'm scoffing magic rock Human cannonball and neo-human cannonball tonight. The first one is ok, DIPA that has a good balance between the hop bitterness and 9.1% alcohol. Neo is a much juicer drink.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Beavertown sells a minority stake to Heineken (and everyone assumes that stake is 49.9% because it hasn't been stated). And Heineken owns 100% of Lagunitas. And Ab-InBev owns Camden Town Brewery. Not that any of this stops me from drinking these beers or anything. Trying to keep up with who owns who is exhausting.
and Brewdog are owned by a private equity company and most of the irish independent brews should just be called HOPPY HOPS - THE BEER THAT'S ALL HOPS

Well, let me put on my wine-wanker hat for a moment:

The Library Bar has the best Shiraz in Dublin.

I don't normally like Crafty Brewing Company stuff. Their cider is fucking horrible - super sweet alco-pop

Buying up of small breweries by The Big Bize is kinda depressing IMO. That kind of carry on is what left us in the only-3-beers-available-in-every-pub wasteland we inhabited for most of our lives

On advantage of the old beer regime though was all beers were around the same % alcohol. These days you have a couple of pints in a pub and have no idea how drunk you're going to get, specially if someone else if buying. Was playing bass in my local on Friday and getting my beer paid for, ended the evening lying in the garden of my house looking at stars coming out, and seeing them all double

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back