HSE/Department of Health Hack (2 Viewers)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i'd say it's headless chicken centre in there this morning. i know a few lads who got jobs in the HSE and they talk in hushed tones about how dated a lot of the systems are.

significant and sophisticated. Really. I've been working very much in the realm of IT security for the past few years. Most attacks of this nature are caused by some hacker (usually a spotty 16-year old who masturbates too much) exploiting carelessness. Who was it this year that said they were hacked by a very sophisticated network of hackers - when it turned out they put their fucking Kibana on the internet, unauthenticated.

Also, the HSE will have their IT systems managed by one of those massive consultancy companies (I can guess which one - I interviewed for them once and it was a mutual 'nah'), who stand up massive, overpriced projects to manage IT infrastructure for govt bodies, because no one knows any better to be able to tell them to cop on.

Then there was the Equifax 'hack' which was a huge scandal, it turned out they hadn't enabled 2fa and were issuing passwords like 'password' and weren't forcing people to change them.

The majority of hacks are carried out with 'trusted' credentials. Its not someone checking every combination of numbers and letters until they strike gold. Its either a weak password without 2FA, or the hackers have managed to get creds from a disgruntled ex-employee and use those.

Basically, someone generally opens the door to let them in.

From reading between the lines it sounds like someone got onto the systems and started replacing binaries and tools with their own version (rootkit, I think they call that), but even if they were in, was there no Intrusion Detection system in place? Even an opensource tool like OSSEC could have stopped this.

I scanned the register this morning to see if they were carrying the story, as they normally get into that level of detail. Nothing yet.

Maybe it is sophisticated. My guess is that it isn't.

significant and sophisticated. Really. I've been working very much in the realm of IT security for the past few years. Most attacks of this nature are caused by some hacker (usually a spotty 16-year old who masturbates too much) exploiting carelessness. Who was it this year that said they were hacked by a very sophisticated network of hackers - when it turned out they put their fucking Kibana on the internet, unauthenticated.

Also, the HSE will have their IT systems managed by one of those massive consultancy companies (I can guess which one - I interviewed for them once and it was a mutual 'nah'), who stand up massive, overpriced projects to manage IT infrastructure for govt bodies, because no one knows any better to be able to tell them to cop on.

Then there was the Equifax 'hack' which was a huge scandal, it turned out they hadn't enabled 2fa and were issuing passwords like 'password' and weren't forcing people to change them.

The majority of hacks are carried out with 'trusted' credentials. Its not someone checking every combination of numbers and letters until they strike gold. Its either a weak password without 2FA, or the hackers have managed to get creds from a disgruntled ex-employee and use those.

Basically, someone generally opens the door to let them in.

From reading between the lines it sounds like someone got onto the systems and started replacing binaries and tools with their own version (rootkit, I think they call that), but even if they were in, was there no Intrusion Detection system in place? Even an opensource tool like OSSEC could have stopped this.

I scanned the register this morning to see if they were carrying the story, as they normally get into that level of detail. Nothing yet.

Maybe it is sophisticated. My guess is that it isn't.
That’s the thing - the lads running these scams just need to get lucky once with getting the right person to click the right link. Eventually, someone will. I mean take look around any office and you can probably pick the likely candidates, but you’d be surprised the kind of people that fall for these things and then it’s GAME OVER MAN.

There’s also been a ton of exploits released lately on VPN appliances, and more recently Outlook Web Access….

i had a meeting with broadcom/symantec during the week, about other issues, and they specifically warned us about conti.

Caveman nuke is going to ask a few questions (bear in mind I think we are too reliant on technology and in many instances got by without it for generations)

Did any appointments happen today and if so what ?
A lot of consultations don't require internet or tech.

How much is the pandemic a factor in appointments being cancelled?

Is it simply the case that the HSE is so dependent on IT that the whole thing is permanently at risk of paralysis if hackers attack and there's no proper Plan B?

Feel free to call me a twit for asking this.

Is it simply the case that the HSE is so dependent on IT that the whole thing is permanently at risk of paralysis if hackers attack and there's no proper Plan B?

I've seen one of these attacks up close - the ransom is time as much as money - they might have a whole backup and just need to block the thing from coming again, or they might have no backup and be having huge arguments about things.

OK I get it.
Big time crisis, needs to be dealt with immediately.

If I was at a white House press conference I would ask - what's the point of nukes, NATO ? etc cause no one does.
Would be a laugh to hear what they would come out with

The one I saw was crawling files on the HDs turning them into unworkable files and the network had to be physically disconnected to stop it. the bribe is the code to make them workable again, but generally it is an awful idea to give them money because then there is fuck all to stop them doing it again tomorrow. So best case everything was on a cloud somewhere and they got a stop to it and get the security in place and get back to normal, worst case half the Irish health database is corrupt and has to be bought back.

So I suspect that the techs communicating this quandry to the non techs might be where the sparks might fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back