How do you sleep? (1 Viewer)

Hector Grey

Contributor
Since 2000
I'm waking up constantly throughout the night. I'm going mental. Other than death, what can I do here?

Anyone ever done breathing exercises?

Jayses. I'm tired.

After a 10 hour drinking session I sleep like a baby, sometimes not waking for 12 hours. The following nights are full of nightmares , waking in fear and panic with a sense of dread and sickness every so often, but that first sleep is pretty sweet.

I used to sleep pretty well (apart from - early in the night - night terrors and jumping out of bed in a panic). Lately I've started waking up too early. It's probably because my routine is all over the place lately, hopefully it will settle down again...

Lately I've noticed I wake up with some random song in my head and it's very annoying, it stops me getting back to sleep.

I went through a prolonged period of sleepless nights recently..lasted about 2 1/2 years.It was horrible and I couldnt fix it no matter what I tried and I tried an awful lot.But I was only treating the symptoms.I even posted numerous desperate threads on here about it.

I had to sort out the cause of the problem..which in my case was mental illness caused by alcoholism...which itself was triggered by stress.Obviously you arent an alkie so its likely stress,imo.
You probably don't even know what you're stressed out about I bet

So..I would advise first of all talking it over with someone who knows about these things.Sooner rather than later.

Meanwhile,I'm sleeping great!

Of no help whatsoever but I had to

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Give up the coffee. Drink camomile tea or a hot chocolate before bed. No screens for about an hour before sleep, try a book instead. If you do wake in the night just get up and read a while till you're yawning again- don't lie there, it only makes the frustration rise so stopping you falling asleep again. Get up early so you're tired later that day and will likely sleep better.

If you want to try breathing exercises you should find some yoga ones easily enough on youtube use your nose your lower lungs and belly etc don't try force anything uncomfortable.
It reminds me to get a new mattress for myself sometime or even try sleeping the floor a bit.

I sleep pretty much fine. But I manage it.
Ear plugs, dark as fuck room. Have stopped taking electronics in to the bedroom.

I have found that a little exertion before sleep - cleaning the kitchen, nipping around to the shops, sex - really get the body ready for a good kip.

I don't think there's any right answers that work for everyone. Sleep is a very individual thing.

After a 10 hour drinking session I sleep like a baby, sometimes not waking for 12 hours. The following nights are full of nightmares , waking in fear and panic with a sense of dread and sickness every so often, but that first sleep is pretty sweet.
If I booze, I'll sleep that night, but I won't for the next 3-4. Unless I booze. vicious circle. Hates it. Puts me off the boozing, frankly.

Try earplugs.
Did that. Ended up with a load of ear infections. Ears are kinda fucked now. The auld canal ain't what it was. I keep having to equalise the pressure in my head. Funny, I thought the loud music would get me in the end. Turns out it was the silence. That's ironing.

Give up the coffee. Drink camomile tea or a hot chocolate before bed. No screens for about an hour before sleep, try a book instead. If you do wake in the night just get up and read a while till you're yawning again- don't lie there, it only makes the frustration rise so stopping you falling asleep again. Get up early so you're tired later that day and will likely sleep better.
The idea of giving up coffee terrifies me.

For whatever it's worth I never think about my life as I'm going to sleep.
I'll always think about far away places I want to go to or movies I've seen or stories I want to write.
Something that's slightly askew from actual reality.

If I am thinking about work or what I have to do the next day, then it will keep me awake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back