How do you cite page numbers? (1 Viewer)

the_jen

Supporter
Solutions
I got a doc back from the copyeditor and the page refs aren't consistent. Sometimes they repeat the full number '33-34', sometimes they don't '33-4'. Anyone know the correct way? And if it's the first one, what do you do when you hit the hundreds? In one spot they've got '100-02, 322-3'.

Solution
I got a doc back from the copyeditor and the page refs aren't consistent. Sometimes they repeat the full number '33-34', sometimes they don't '33-4'. Anyone know the correct way? And if it's the first one, what do you do when you hit the hundreds? In one spot they've got '100-02, 322-3'.
Depends on what style guide they’re using but my personal preference would be where the repeated digits aren’t written again, like if you were referencing pages 100 through 109, it would be 100-9. If you went to 110 it would be 100-10. 61 through to 69 would be 61-9 and through to 70 would be 61-70. Having the full numbers too is fine but looks too busy to me. Whatever that 100-02 thing is should be avoided as it looks more like a product code.
Depends on what style guide they’re using but my personal preference would be where the repeated digits aren’t written again, like if you were referencing pages 100 through 109, it would be 100-9. If you went to 110 it would be 100-10. 61 through to 69 would be 61-9 and through to 70 would be 61-70. Having the full numbers too is fine but looks too busy to me. Whatever that 100-02 thing is should be avoided as it looks more like a product code.

Solution
Thanks! They keep hopping between one and the other and then I thought about it for way too long and there was no finding my own way back to a sensible choice from there.

To build on what @Cormcolash said*, stick with one thing which is really important but make sure that one thing is clear for the reader. If in doubt, show it to someone and ask them to interpret it with no input from you.**

*it’s weird seeing him being helpful and not just shouting “Boggers!”
**I clearly think too much about citations and references. Can we have a thread about properly formatting Latin terms in texts next?

To build on what @Cormcolash said*, stick with one thing which is really important but make sure that one thing is clear for the reader. If in doubt, show it to someone and ask them to interpret it with no input from you.**

*it’s weird seeing him being helpful and not just shouting “Boggers!”
**I clearly think too much about citations and references. Can we have a thread about properly formatting Latin terms in texts next?
someone hacked his account. I see normal service has been restored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back