House prices (1 Viewer)

It's an investment in freedom.

Once a place is paid for, it's paid for. Who wants to be making rent at 70?

Who wants to be climbing up a ladder to bed at 70? You still need to pay for the taxes and upkeep. Just because you own it doesn't mean it still doesn't cost you money constantly. Buying is for chumps. Rent. Move around. Explore. 13 years in that box would be a death sentence.

Last edited:
If I was a loaded singleton and going to buy real estate I'd be buying somewhere that had at least enough land to grow fruit and veg and keep a few chickens and goats - something Waldenesque - Thoreau would have had nightmares about that coffin-pretending-to-be-a-house.

Try that in a terrace and you'll be killed by your neighbours, if you survive bringing two or three houses down on your head.

Well in a terraced house maybe, (although if you were one of these neighbours would you tackle a sledge hammer wielding person?) but generally the point stands up. Unless we're referring specifically to this house?

Buying is for chumps. Rent. Move around. Explore. 13 years in that box would be a death sentence.

I've a mate who's of the same opinion, buying a house/apartment seems to be a ridiculous concept (especially after the rise & fall of the Irish property market) but I always ask the question when the issue comes up, are you going to be paying 1-2K rent per month when you're > 65 years old/retirement age?

I've a mate who's of the same opinion, buying a house/apartment seems to be a ridiculous concept (especially after the rise & fall of the Irish property market) but I always ask the question when the issue comes up, are you going to be paying 1-2K rent per month when you're > 65 years old/retirement age?

Well, I'd ask you would you need the same size house in the same area when you're over 65 years of age? Honestly, I don't think I'd live that long but if I do I can say I won't want to be living where I am now. Nor would I want to be living anywhere I could afford (which I can't) to buy now in the suburbs. It's all so permanent. What's the difference of needing to put money aside later in life (post 65) to fix a roof or replace appliances or to pay property taxes, it's just like rent. Also, what high rolling friends do you have spending 1-2k on rent a month? I had a nice one bed on the edge of the city centre for 800 euro.

Admittedly a few years ago, but when rents were higher on average than they are now, I was renting a one bed apartment in D8, 10 minutes walk from Trinity College and about the same from O'Connell St. It was considerably bigger than that dump, had french doors out onto a huge south facing terrace and was less than €500 a month.

You can still have shitty neighbours in a property you own, but you're fucking stuck with them, and your poxy small gaff and your noose like mortgage.

That was a place on your own ?

But you are taller than it is wide!

I'm not saying I'd buy it I'm saying some perspective is needed there.

Jeez I was speculatin' about a hypothesis.

That was a place on your own ?

Yep, it was a nice place too, I'd still be there if I was single and childless.

As to the "do you want to be paying rent at 70" argument... I don't think I'd still want to be paying the mortgage on anything I could afford in this country, or to have just finished paying for it, so yeah, I think I'd prefer to still be paying rent.

Someone could buy this house and the mortgage would be cheaper than the rent on it.
Needs a bit of work, so you'd have to be of that mind.
Also you'd be living in Ballybough but pretending you're in Drumcondra.

To me that's the sweet spot. If the rent covers it, you can walk away for years on end and someone else is making the payments.

90 Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9 -

Right now we're seeing a seriously dysfunctional market being tightly manipulated and controlled by government and banks to suit their own interests.

Plenty of advantages to ownership - irrespective of economics - like being able to fix issues properly, ability to do up a gaff nicely, long term security, etc.

The mortgage on our gaff is at least €400-€500 a month cheaper than if we were renting it... but of course we did sink tens of thousands into deposit and renos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back