12. Amyl and the sniffers – I’m not a Loser
13. Incisions – War In Your Head
14. Hedge Schools – April 10
15. The Atrix – Treasure on the Wasteland
16. Chewing on Tinfoil – Just Like Me
17. THe Winter Passing w/ Stu Daly – Melt
18. The lovely Eggs – You’ve Got the Ball
19. Natterers – Dead Men Can’t Cat call

1980 was one of the best years ever for music - even far beyond punk.
interested to hear what it was like for very young kids to hear all these songs at the time.
the downside is nearly all the old songs played on the year ---- shows were songs I've probably heard for over 20 years.

Getting Nowhere Fast by GIRLS AT OUR BEST was a great choice, brilliant sarcastic lyrics sung in a very un rock n roll voice by a smart woman who won't follow conventional female roles (and a great tune).

TEAM DRESCH were featured on a programme. my main memory of them is of a MRR zine 'sex issue' posing stock question for punks to answer. one was -
''Have you ever participated in a queer bashing incident ?''

Donna Dresch: ''The other day I hit myself in the face with a yo-yo.''

I have been a bit slack in self promotion but just to give an update. Michael and I are doing a spin off Hope Show called GabFest where we pick our 10 important punk songs from years. We started in 1976 and are working our way through the years

1976 - Hope Show 150 - Punk Rock 1976 - Radioactive International
Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the uk
David Bowie - Golden Years
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
101ers - Keys to your heart
Damned - New rose
Richard hell - Blank Generation
The Nerves - Hanging on the telephone
The Saints - I’m stranded
Johnathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Roadrunner
The Runaways - Cherry bomb
Patti Smith - Gloria
Thin Lizzy - The boys are back in town

1977 - Hope Show 151 - Gabfest 4 - Radioactive International
Adverts – Looking Through Gary Gilmore’s Eyes
Elvis Costello – Watching the Detectives
The Clash – Complete Control
The Radiators from Space – Television Screen
X_Ray Spex – Oh Bondage Up Yours
The Damned – Neat Neat Neat
Wire – 12XU
The Jam – In The City
Stranglers – Something Better Change
The Runaways – Gotta Get Out Tonight

1978 - Hope Show 153 - Gabfest 5 - Radioactive International
Siouxsie and the Banshees: Hong Kong Garden
Skids: The Saints are Coming
X-Ray Spex: Germ Free Adolscents
Public Image Ltd: Public Image Ltd
Magazine: Shot by Both Sides
The Clash: White Man in Hammersmith Palais
Patti Smith: Because the Night
Mekons: Where were you?
Buzzcocks: Ever Fallen in Love or What Do I Get
Sham 69: If The Kids Are United

1979 - Hope Show 154 Gabfest 6 1979 a year in Punk - Radioactive International
Black Flag: Nervous Breakdown
The Slits : Typical Girls
Penetration – Shout Above The Noise
SLF: Gotta Getaway
Cabaret Voltaire – Nag Nag Nag
Gang of Four: I found that Essence rare
Siouxsie and Banshees: The Playground Twist
The Members: Sound of the suburbs
Dead Kennedys: California Uber Alles
The Dickies – Banana Splits

1980 - Hope Show 156 Gabfest 7 Punk Rock 1980 - Radioactive International

The Ruts: Staring at the Rude Boys
Crass - Do They Owe us A living
The Clash: London Calling Single released in 1980
Girls at Our Best: Getting Nowhere Fast
DOA - World War 3
X: Los Angeles
Discharge - Decontrol
Killing Joke: Wardance
Undertones - My Perfect Cousin (important band to have in there) - northen irish punks
The Jam - Going Underground
Cockney Rejects - Oi Oi Oi

1981 Hope Show 157 Gabfest 8 Punk Rock 1981 - Radioactive International
1. Altered Images: Dead Pop Stars
2. Minor Threat – Straight Edge
3. Black Flag: Six Pack
4. The Exploited – Dead Cities
5. Siouxsie and the Banshees: Spellbound
6. Nun Attax – White Cortina
7. Rip Rig and Panic – Go Go Go (This Is It)
8. Flipper – Ha Ha Ha
9. Gang of four – To Hell with poverty
10. Flux of Pink Indians – Tube Disasters

1982 Hope Show 158 Gabfest 9 1982 a year in punk - Radioactive International

1. Black Flag: TV Party
2. Crucifix – Annihilation
3. Theatre of Hate: Do you believe in the westworld
4. Subhumans – Reason for Existence,
5. SLF: Bits of Kids
6. Neurotics – Kick Out The Tories
7. Birthday Party – Dead Joe
8. GBH – City Baby Attacked By Rats
9. Purrkur Pillnikk – googooplex
10.Blitz – Voice of a generation

Hope Show 159 - back to some music Hope Show 159 - Radioactive International
1. Joe Solo – The Revolution Will Come
2. Antidoto – Perderor
3. Bear Away – East Caost
4. The Radiators – Kitty Rickets
5. Soft On Crime – Rubyanne
6. Toodles and the hectic pity – Sugar Loaf
7. The Armed – A Life so Wonderful
8. We Were promised Jetpacks – When I Know More
9. The Menstrual Cramps – Cull The Tories
10. Youth Avoiders – Grit Your Teeth
11. SHort Days – Children of Boredom
12. Fresh – Revenge
13. The Nilz – Robotic
14. Vice Squad – Everybody’s in a band nowadays
15. Mackie – New Age
16. Spoilers – There, Well Whereabouts
17. Antibodies – Let’s Get Serious ABout Punk Rock
18. ToeRag – Age of School
18. Hard Left – Strike For America

Hope Show 160 - Gabfest 10 1983 Hope Show 160 - Gab Fest 10 1983 a year of punk - Radioactive International
1. New Model Army: Bittersweet
2. Bad Brains - Banned In DC
3. Neubaten: Tanz Debil
4. Minor Threat - Out Of Step
5. Public Image Ltd: This is not a Love Song
6. Minutemen: Bob Dylan Wrote Propoganda Songs
7. Southern Death Cult: Moya
8. Avengers - We Are The One
9. Redskins: Lean On Me
10. UK Subs - Another Typical City Involved In Another Typical Daydream

Hope Show 160 - Gabfest 10 1983 Hope Show 160 - Gab Fest 10 1983 a year of punk - Radioactive International
1. New Model Army: Bittersweet
2. Bad Brains - Banned In DC
3. Neubaten: Tanz Debil
4. Minor Threat - Out Of Step
5. Public Image Ltd: This is not a Love Song
6. Minutemen: Bob Dylan Wrote Propoganda Songs
7. Southern Death Cult: Moya
8. Avengers - We Are The One
9. Redskins: Lean On Me
10. UK Subs - Another Typical City Involved In Another Typical Daydream
Cheers - another good show. That was actually more diverse than the previous one which surprised me.
never heard the last two songs before.
the stories about how you both heard this music were very interesting, especially as you were so young.

about 79/80 in particular you could see several things on TOTP many weeks that were worth buying.

musically I think this was the best era to grow up in - the whole independent / DIY idea was new, genres weren't codified and a hegemony of a few big labels hadn't happened yet - everything was up for grabs.

the story on the 1982 show about winning a tape from a Dublin radio show with
Let Them Eat Jelly Beans / Flex Your Head / This Boston Not LA on it was mind blowing !

The Tube also came up:
I've seen footage of BLITZ, MEMBRANES, FOUR JOHNS (not to mention FALL, VENOM, GRAND MASTER FLASH &TFS!) bizarre to think all this got on teatime TV.
actually the BLITZ footage is a hilarious. the interviewer who looks unintentionally like Timmy Mallet, is very confrontational and obviously hates them. BLITZ are really taken aback and very polite about it.

THE BIRTHDAY PARTY TV footage mentioned in the 1981 show was filmed by some other Channel 4
programme.

CRASS, BLITZ, DISCHARGE, GBH, 4 SKINS etc all had top 40 albums in 1981/82.

by the early 90's when I was a teen, punk music of any sort got VERY little coverage in the media

all in all a great time to start listening to a lot of great music that was completely new and never this popular or accessible again. it's bizarre to think this ever happened at all if you weren't there.
plus very few of the genres of punk that I dislike existed at this stage.

Cheers - another good show. That was actually more diverse than the previous one which surprised me.
never heard the last two songs before.
the stories about how you both heard this music were very interesting, especially as you were so young.

about 79/80 in particular you could see several things on TOTP many weeks that were worth buying.

musically I think this was the best era to grow up in - the whole independent / DIY idea was new, genres weren't codified and a hegemony of a few big labels hadn't happened yet - everything was up for grabs.

the story on the 1982 show about winning a tape from a Dublin radio show with
Let Them Eat Jelly Beans / Flex Your Head / This Boston Not LA on it was mind blowing !

The Tube also came up:
I've seen footage of BLITZ, MEMBRANES, FOUR JOHNS (not to mention FALL, VENOM, GRAND MASTER FLASH &TFS!) bizarre to think all this got on teatime TV.
actually the BLITZ footage is a hilarious. the interviewer who looks unintentionally like Timmy Mallet, is very confrontational and obviously hates them. BLITZ are really taken aback and very polite about it.

THE BIRTHDAY PARTY TV footage mentioned in the 1981 show was filmed by some other Channel 4
programme.

CRASS, BLITZ, DISCHARGE, GBH, 4 SKINS etc all had top 40 albums in 1981/82.

by the early 90's when I was a teen, punk music of any sort got VERY little coverage in the media

all in all a great time to start listening to a lot of great music that was completely new and never this popular or accessible again. it's bizarre to think this ever happened at all if you weren't there.
plus very few of the genres of punk that I dislike existed at this stage.
Thanks for listening - yeah the Tube was great. We used to hope my Dad wouldn't be home from work before 7 as he would automatically switch on the News as we wondered who we were missing. Three Johns were brilliant on it. brought a load of people from 1in12 club in Bradford. The UK music press in the 80's (Sounds, NME and Melody Maker) gave punk some good coverage.
We are enjoying doing the shows because this way you are seeing scenes develop even though we knew they had it's nice to have some sort of chronology to it. We could pick 10 different songs every week though

Hope show 160/ Gabfest 11 1984 10 songs of punk Hope Show 160 - Gabfest 11 1984 - Radioactive International
1. Raw Power - Fuck Authority
2. Sonic Youth - Death Vally '69
3. Celibate Rifles - Back In The Red
4. The Specials - Free Nelson mandela
5. MDC - Missisle Destroyed Civilisation
6. The Pogues - boys from the County hell
7. The Partisans - 17 years of hell
8. Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalised
9. Conflict - Stop The City
10. Husker Du: 8 miles High

Cheers another enjoyable show

RAW POWER toured the USA in 1984 w/ RIISTETYT from Finland which made them the first European HC band to tour the USA (organized by Chris from BCT Tapes) BGK from Amsterdam also toured the USA that summer.
when in Indiana in 1984 RAW POWER recoded their Screams From The Gutter LP w/ Paul Mahern from the ZERO BOYS. that LP has now sold over 40,000 copies and I'd say it's the biggest selling European HC LP from the 80's. (the Italian equivalent of Suicidal's massive selling first LP I suppose).
In the 80's and 90's RAW POWER were regulars in the states touring there 6 times.
for my money Italy had the best HC scene circa 1981-86 there was at least 25 amazing bands released really great records.
RAW POWER are still going but sadly the singer Mauro's brother, guitarist Giuseppe died in 2002 after he had a heart attack playing in football kick about

as usual some of the podcast songs are slightly in the wrong year but I've grown to like that.

I used to like SONIC YOUTH when I was at school in the 90's. I heard Goo first but initially wasn't bothered with them. but I saw the video for Death Valley 69 on MTV and that got me into them.... for about a year anyway.

Damien Lovelock (1954-2019) from the CELIBATE RIFLES was actually a soccer pundit broadcasting in Sydney.

I actually like the SPECIAL AKA more than previous incarnation. 'Nelson Mandela' was first time many people heard of him. great tune I posted it on thumped a while back.
there was so many pop songs that referenced Mandela in the years after that but this was the first.

MRR really joined up the world punk scene. something they started to do in the first 5 issues.
PEACE/WAR and Welcome To 1984 are full of great tunes from worldwide.
I think they were slightly beaten to the punch as the first international HC comp by this comp also from 1984.

SUICIDAL's first album is great example of record appealing to far more people than anyone could ever have imagined. the bands Latino gang image, skateboarding cred (Dogtown / Jim Muir), coming out at same time as first thrash LP's SLAYER /METALLICA meant the record probably sold 50 times what anyone expected.
must the best selling HC LP.

Spot was incredibly important to SST records. every record I have that he worked on sound huge.
HUSKER really suffered production wise after they stopped working with him - although he stopped doing
production work shortly after that anyway to be fair.

IMO the biggest difference between the 80's is the lack of identity politics and diversity.
it's probably the only big criticism I can level at the era.
I was listening to the Ungovernable Force LP by CONFLICT a few years ago and although I couldn't find much
much fault in their ideas but there was a lot they left out.
racism was only mentioned in the context of the police, despite the woman singer there was nothing about women's issues, gay rights and many other big contemporary topics.
singing from a male white working class view was par the course and that's OK. but there was a lot missing in retrospect but even when I first heard these records in the 90's none of this would have occured to me .

''CHAOS UK were awful..."
haha ! I love DISORDER and CHAOS UK they both continued to make great records throughout the 80's and even beyond when the other '81/82 bands had quit or had become irrelevant. GBH and EXPLOITED who were chosen in an earlier show to represent the UK82 genre were a bit of musical dead end - the bands they influenced never developed into something new of it's own.
the two Bristol bands had a big influence on a lot of even more distorted, faster bands in places like Japan, Sweden, Sao Paulo etc. these bands a big part in the development punk end of grindcore and noise grind stuff.
hate 'em or hate them some more, but they were important it's not much acknowledged outside certain circles and they don't get the credit DISCHARGE do.
CHAOS UK's later stuff is more punk and they did an LP of old punk covers in the 90's that was cool.
they even did a good job on Pump It Up.

OK see ya next week.

Last edited:
Some great ones there.

1st Raw Power lp, insane. Most people seem to go for the second,but for me it's the first,easily. Literally raw power.

Celibate Rifles I got into way late,but a great band,Radio Birdman influence is pretty clear on the early records.

Love early MDC and Partisans

Suicidal Tendencies definitely peaked with that first record. I liked Join the Army at the time,but I thought the gig they played in belfast was really boring.

Conflict to me sound like the angriest band ever. One of the first punk bands I got into and I still love them to this day.

And I'm a big Chaos Uk fan,just becasue they got a mention.

I can't think of any record recorded by Spot that would not sound better had someone else done it.

Last edited:
Some great ones there.

1st Raw Power lp, insane. Most people seem to go for the second,but for me it's the first,easily. Literally raw power.

Celibate Rifles I got into way late,but a great band,Radio Birdman influence is pretty clear on the early records.

Love early MDC and Partisans

Suicidal Tendencies definitely peaked with that first record. I liked Join the Army at the time,but I thought the gig they played in belfast was really boring.

Conflict to me sound like the angriest band ever. One of the first punk bands I got into and I still love them to this day.

And I'm a big Chaos Uk fan,just becasue they got a mention.

I can't think of any record recorded by Spot that would not sound better had someone else done it.
yeah, I agree the first RAW POWER LP is the best. for a long time You Are The Victim was out of print so maybe pre internet people weren't familiar with it ??

as far as Spot goes I've already had my say.

Last edited:
@nuke terrorist and @GARYXKNIFEDX thanks for that. I'm a flake I've never heard that Beating The Meat comp. You've a point about Chaos Uk and Disorder, made a great case for their inclusion. hard when two people are picking 5 songs apiece from each year.
Interesting observation around identity politics - was that at a more societal level too??
Sometimes we sneak songs in if a compilation was released that year (and sometimes we are just wrong :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back