Home Recording Tips/tricks and conundrums etc. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 84
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 2
Amplitube 3.Throw away any mics you use for cabs.Those days are over.

that is all.

so to get feedback ill have to be have my DAW monitors up loads?!

No..not at all.I had no problem getting feedback at normal levels.

In fact you've given me a novel idea!

The Reaper Tips / Tricks / Discoveries Thread

I've just discovered something MARVELLOUS.

If like me,you have a USB MIDI controller keyboard with knobs on it...well those knobs are easily assignable to any function inside REAPER you like.ie..fader/pan etc.

Thus recording automation is now a walk in the park.And anything at al that can cut down on mouse usuage is defo a big bonus.My right hand is barely strong enough to have a wank with at this stage.

A NEW THREAD IS BORN!

Creation.jpg

Re: The Reaper Tips / Tricks / Discoveries Thread

This has revolutionised my workflow...I'll be able to go a bit easier on the compression too,now that I can ride the faders..that'll be sweet in softer tunes

Re: The Reaper Tips / Tricks / Discoveries Thread

Here's my own small tip - not a revolution in your workflow, but handy nonetheless.

when you want to add a virtual synth or other instrument right-click below the last track and select "Insert Virtual Instrument on new Track" this will insert the chosen plugin onto a new track with record enabled, *every* midi input/channel active (so nomatter where your midi is coming from it's ready to go), and the correct track monitoring setting already made to be able to hear the instrument when played

I wouldnt dream of using any compression during tracking in a 24bit enviroment.

I'm gonna try ride the fader a bit more and do away with slamming everything in the mix..I keep losing my kick drums..its madness

without compression, how do i get my drums (only a stero track currently) up in the mix but not clipping? without dynamic processing they end up being low and lost (i like lots of guitars in my mixes)

without compression, how do i get my drums (only a stero track currently) up in the mix but not clipping? without dynamic processing they end up being low and lost (i like lots of guitars in my mixes)

Well,theres gonna be compression on every drum mix..but I tend to have 3(sometimes 4!)_ levels of compression by the time the mix emerges from the far end of the 2 bus.And I prolly still will,but not as agressively applied.

Do you put paralel comp on the drum bus?

I'm still only learning..theres a lot of luck involved in my shit..I only like about 1 in 3 of my productions...(mind you thats a better ratio than how I feel about the tunes)...but even my good ones are still shite by commercial standards.I've a long way to go.

Well,theres gonna be compression on every drum mix..but I tend to have 3 levels of compression by the time the mix emerges from the far end of the 2 bus.And I prolly still will,but not as agressively applied.

Do you put paralel comp on the drum bus?

I'm still only learning..theres a lot of luck involved in my shit..I only like about 1 in 3 of my productions...

i usually have an aux fx channel with compressor inserted on it and send my guitars all through it. never thought of it for drums, should i set up a separate similar channel or run them through the same one?

Well,if your using a stereo drum track put a compressor in parrelel mode as an insert..and hear your drums POP!

Even better sidechain the kick into the bass too.

Get googlin!

also, remove those frequencies the drums pop at from other instruments. you can roll back an amount of low end on guitars and bass that aren't really audible, but are actually masking the kick drum

better still..hi pass everything that isnt bass or kick drum around 200hz..

So say you're at the most very very basic level where you've just recorded tracks on your DAW ... could anyone recommend a site or page that would tell you what the very very minimal basic things you'd have to do to mix it and stick something up on soundcloud/band camp etc and not have it sound like total dog shit?

After stage 1. Try not to write songs that sound like total dog shit?

So say you're at the most very very basic level where you've just recorded tracks on your DAW ... could anyone recommend a site or page that would tell you what the very very minimal basic things you'd have to do to mix it and stick something up on soundcloud/band camp etc and not have it sound like total dog shit?

After stage 1. Try not to write songs that sound like total dog shit?

1.Set all faders to silent.Except the master ...leave that at zero dB permanently.
2.Press Play
3.Raise fader of loudest track until it peaks at -10dB
4.Raise all other faders until it sounds like music without touching the one from step 3.
5.Apply Compression to level out the volume on individual tracks
6.Using EQ,Lo pass all tracks bar kick and bass until they sound a bit shit then back it off a smidge
7.Hi pass everything same as above
8.Manually remove noise between vocals(editing)
9.Subtract eq frequencies that are annoying on individual tracks(google for details..ie..remove boxiness from vox etc).Less the better
10.Lash some reverb on snare,guitar and vox
11. Pan things out of the way of vox.
12.Compressor on the master bus to raise volume overall(google here too)
13.Brickwall limiter on master bus after compressor,set to -3db max.
13.Export to mp3 at 128kbs and upload to Soundcloud and wait for the chicks and drugs to show up.

Use google to follow these steps and you'll be in biz.

Oh..and read this http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283&highlight=noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back