Home Recording Tips/tricks and conundrums etc. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 84
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 2
Deadly!I see you've an electric drum set there..I'm really into getting one of them..do you find it great or what?

it would be better if i was an even passable drummer. i'm debating actually selling it soon in the future to make space. i got it to control ez drummer, which was probably the peak usage i've been getting out of it, and my sister loves playing on it.

If...you were able to knock out a decent beat....would it be a usable device when latencies etc are taken into account?

http://nickcrowlab.blogspot.com/

Edit..oh yeah,try putting a hpf at 40 hz on yer master buss ..I tried it on the last couple tunes..nice..I may even start eliminating more..domestic hifi equipment dosent go down there,hell my monitors dont go anywhere near it..why should I?

If something is becoming a drag, you can't get it the way you want it or you can't play or sing a take as you think it should be then just say to yourself "fuck it, it'll do" and move on

Thats solid advice.Theres always another way too.As long as it sounds right it is right!

I've moved totally and completely to working at 44.1k ..like a fool I've been using 48k with the mad idea it was better-clearer highs etc.

Did a tune last night and can 100% confirm...no fucking difference at all.

In fact..I actually think,no am convinced,that NOT having to resample to 44.1 from 48k in the render has improved the final sound big time.Way less harshness and weird fucking artifacts from beyond the beyond.

It all just boils down to correct mic technique.Thats the WHOLE story.Dont bother yer bollix with acoustic treatment or fuck all.Room dosent even have to be that quiet(I don't use an omni mic).Just point the mic away from the computer.Jobs oxo.My productions are going through the roof quality wise.Using the exact same gear I've used since I started.Just using it right.

And as for people saying I need proper acoustic treatment to mix...thats a load of bollocks as well.
I'd like bigger monitors just so I can pump the fuck out of it and have an auld bop when its coming together.
But its doable on the ones I have.

Tune I did yesterday,rendered it this morning and so far played it in the car,my Das stereo in the kitchen and my bro's telly...sounds fucking just as I intended on each system.Not a scrap of decent acoustics to be had in my room.No probly.JUST DO IT!

No one else will ever know how it was supposed to sound when it was in your head.

As long as you can tap yer toe to it..its bang on.

I wouldnt like to try and record stuff as I actually imagine it.

The technolgy dosent even exist.You'd need at least an extra ear too, to listen to it.

I just discovered that on EVERY SINGLE TUNE I've made as Retarded Cop,I only had the drum midi velocity set to 50%.Thats about a thousand hours mixing to make up the shortfall I'll never get back.
I always wondered why my drums were a bit wussy.

TIP--CHECK YER DRUM MIDI SETTINGS.

On the brightside..I am now EXPERT in compression and transient design.

From the Reaper forum....this sums up the whole DIY mastering ethic in a nutshell

doughboy said:
I think you're totally incorrect....or maybe just thinking unclearly. First off. Every time you write a song and record it....you're gonna run off to a mastering house,...."Here's my Hundreds of dollars" I don't need grocerys or have any bills, and there no musical equipment I'd like to save up for.....AND THE WIFE LOVES IT WHEN I SPENT COUNTLESS THOUSANDS TO IMPROVE MY SONG.

Noooo......it depends on your level of ability in the first place. If you suck....stay the fuck out of a mastering house. It's a waste of money. If you're half ass....then stay the fuck out of a mastering house. It's a waste of money. If the songs are pretty good....then stay the fuck out of a mastering house, it's a waste of money. Now.....if your song can compete against anything on the market that's a hit....then probably stay the fuck out of a mastering house, because it's still a waste of money, unless you have a plan on what you are going to do with the song, since there are only 10 songs in the top 10 at any time, and approximately 5 billion songs wanting to fill that top 10 space.

There's no reason you can't do a great job with any number of the mastering programs that are out there or just with the reaper plugins.

Yes.....the song will sound superior if done at a mastering house. So fucking what, if it's getting played for your close circle of friends. If it's heard by an industry pro.....he should be able to hear a "good song" if you've done an adequate job with a home mastering software.

Sorry....if I came off as a dick....but it's one of my hot buttons about having to use a mastering house. And saying something bad about using a mastering house, is like saying something bad about God at Church Picnic.

Mind you..the mighty @lemonbravo; dosent charge hundreds of dollars for the fantastic work he does in fact its incredible how fiscally competitive the man is tbh..but times are hard for a playa..gnome sain

From the Reaper forum....this sums up the whole DIY mastering ethic in a nutshell

Mind you..the mighty @lemonbravo; dosent charge hundreds of dollars for the fantastic work he does in fact its incredible how fiscally competitive the man is tbh..but times are hard for a playa..gnome sain

thanks dude!

I could record an album of me singing out of tune along with a ukelele, on my phone and then without doing anything else, upload the files on to bandcamp and release it as 'an album'.

Nothing more than a mic and a recording medium is needed to release an album these days. Everything else is personal choice.

What that rant doesn't take into account is that not everyone is equally technically competent. Mastering, as an engineer, is not just about processing audio, it's also about being someone a band/label can send files to to prepare for pressing plants/replication etc etc.
Just because you're in a band or run a label doesn't mean you fully understand audio file formats or pressing plants requirements.
If you're a band and you're going to press 500 records, you want to be 100% confident what you're sending is right.
The plants will just press what you give them, they're not going to listen though every single minute of every album they get sent to check everything seems right.

There's a whole load of crap written on the internet about "mastering", but at the end of the day it's a service and one some people find useful and some don't.

Nobody needs anything other than a mic and something to capture the recording to release a song.

btw. with regard to Ozone, the amount of crap mixes I've been sent over the years from people doing a 'pre-mastering' process with Ozone and having all sorts of exciters and reverb and weird stereo expansion, and multiband compression....that totally changes the mix and the end result is often this washy, loud, fatiguing crap.
It seems like a cool tool for sure, but it's pre-sets and it's everything but the kitchen sink approach makes it easy to turn a mix into sludge. Loud sludge though.

thanks dude!

I could record an album of me singing out of tune along with a ukelele, on my phone and then without doing anything else, upload the files on to bandcamp and release it as 'an album'.

Nothing more than a mic and a recording medium is needed to release an album these days. Everything else is personal choice.

What that rant doesn't take into account is that not everyone is equally technically competent. Mastering, as an engineer, is not just about processing audio, it's also about being someone a band/label can send files to to prepare for pressing plants/replication etc etc.
Just because you're in a band or run a label doesn't mean you fully understand audio file formats or pressing plants requirements.
If you're a band and you're going to press 500 records, you want to be 100% confident what you're sending is right.
The plants will just press what you give them, they're not going to listen though every single minute of every album they get sent to check everything seems right.

There's a whole load of crap written on the internet about "mastering", but at the end of the day it's a service and one some people find useful and some don't.

Nobody needs anything other than a mic and something to capture the recording to release a song.

btw. with regard to Ozone, the amount of crap mixes I've been sent over the years from people doing a 'pre-mastering' process with Ozone and having all sorts of exciters and reverb and weird stereo expansion, and multiband compression....that totally changes the mix and the end result is often this washy, loud, fatiguing crap.
It seems like a cool tool for sure, but it's pre-sets and it's everything but the kitchen sink approach makes it easy to turn a mix into sludge. Loud sludge though.

Funny you should say that..I just tried the ahem demo of it..and muck is exactly what I made of my tune.
Sounded class on the monitors though!
I'll be steering clear of it.

I want to here this album your making.Ukeleles are all the rage.

Yeah,theres no substituting the real deal mastering wise...all the technical stuff and all that..but its possible to make listenable and loud music at home that transfers reasonably well across different playback mediums.

Hee!You're gonna be mastering it nesxt week hai!!This version was done with just Reapers built in fx this morning...I'm happy with it....mostly..Edit...I've been listening to it for 12 hours straight mind you so I could be talking out me hat

http://soundcloud.com/retardedcop/ring-my-bell-version

I'll take the limiter off to be sure before I send it to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back