Home improvement (1 Viewer)

it's a very specific issue; in the morning, about 4 or 5 minutes after i connect, the connect drops and re-establishes twice. not sure if there's something resetting the MTU which is causing that - i think anyconnect dynamically picks the MTU?
Yeah maybe so - what I described is a manual approach to path mtu discovery, which is what it might be doing anyway

I’m a big fan of wifi mesh stuff. My router is a tplink ax20 and I’ve two €25 plug in mesh devices, an re300 and an re330 (that one also has an Ethernet port), and the whole thing just *works*.
by 'mesh' do you mean something like this?

'mesh' is a newish term in my life. Professionally I'm working on something called a 'cloud mesh' but its more an interconnect, rather than an extender. Thats why people taking this terms and using them for whatever the hell they want, confuses the shit outta me.

but I need those things in that link for whenever I might have a new gaff. Glad to know that they just work.

All the power tools talk makes me think some of you might know what to do here.
The flat I’m moving in to has needed serious work, as in walls crumbling and actual stones falling out of the when the wallpaper is stripped. The fact that there was a damp problem (now fixed) some of the wallpaper being over 50 years old might have a bit to do with it.

There’s a small strip of wall behind the sink that’s under the window (130cm w x 14 cm h) that’s raw old building bricks that have chunks of plaster stuck to it here and there that I’ve been struggling to take off with a hammer and chisel.

Do you think if I just lashed a shit tone of tile cement over the lot, it would even out enough to be able to stick some cheap tiles in?
It’s only to last a year or two so I’ve given up on trying to make it look nice, and just settling for looking clean .

Been a while since I did any tiling but I'd want a flat surface likely plastered before attaching tiles or maybe a plywood sheet over the rough brick and attach tiles to that.

We went with some heavy duty stickers that look like tiles in a few spots in our rental gaff. They look pretty good and are chip as fuck.

Been a while since I did any tiling but I'd want a flat surface likely plastered before attaching tiles or maybe a plywood sheet over the rough brick and attach tiles to that.

We went with some heavy duty stickers that look like tiles in a few spots in our rental gaff. They look pretty good and are chip as fuck.
I was looking at those but they all seemed to be either stickers for tiles already there, or vinyl ones for flooring. I’ll try searching for them again, thanks Moose.

I was looking at those but they all seemed to be either stickers for tiles already there, or vinyl ones for flooring. I’ll try searching for them again, thanks Moose.

Think we got them off Shien. Don't tell anyone that though..

As I drink more coffee I defo remember using plywood backing in kitchens for tiles.

On it, that’ll be easy enough to fit and fix.
You can get something like this
Tile backer board, or cement board, that will give you a good surface to attach tile onto

Get the existing wall as even as you can and put that on with some kind of cement mortar (I'd be thinking a few mechanical fixings also for belt & braces)
Just watch your level on the vertical and horizontal

Plywood will work, but it is not ideal

You can get something like this
Tile backer board, or cement board, that will give you a good surface to attach tile onto

Get the existing wall as even as you can and put that on with some kind of cement mortar (I'd be thinking a few mechanical fixings also for belt & braces)
Just watch your level on the vertical and horizontal

Plywood will work, but it is not ideal
Gonna watch some YouTube videos on people using this. Thanks

I would feel so much better about this system if you got some longish screws with rawl plugs into the wall
Not too many
Just enough to keep the whole system honest

The flat I’m moving in to has needed serious work, as in walls crumbling and actual stones falling out of the when the wallpaper is stripped. The fact that there was a damp problem (now fixed) some of the wallpaper being over 50 years old might have a bit to do with it.

There’s a small strip of wall behind the sink that’s under the window (130cm w x 14 cm h) that’s raw old building bricks that have chunks of plaster stuck to it here and there that I’ve been struggling to take off with a hammer and chisel.

Do you think if I just lashed a shit tone of tile cement over the lot, it would even out enough to be able to stick some cheap tiles in?
It’s only to last a year or two so I’ve given up on trying to make it look nice, and just settling for looking clean .

You've had two excellent suggestions already. Over here, they clad massive buildings with bricks sliced in half and glued onto plywood, then basically just hung onto the thing. Big 20 storey buildings with bricks half glued onto the walls, it's mad.

So if you only want it to look Not Shit for a year or two, both the above suggestions are great. Marine ply is a thing btw, but DMP's suggestion is probably best.

I'd be wary plastering over damp brick. Maybe turn a radiator or get dehumidifier running for a while before you lash stuff on it

You've had two excellent suggestions already. Over here, they clad massive buildings with bricks sliced in half and glued onto plywood, then basically just hung onto the thing. Big 20 storey buildings with bricks half glued onto the walls, it's mad.

So if you only want it to look Not Shit for a year or two, both the above suggestions are great. Marine ply is a thing btw, but DMP's suggestion is probably best.

Same principle to what I described. I'm not sure cement board will handle the damp as well as marine ply. Probably should have specified marine in my pos. Kinda assumed it's a given for such work.

I got an eye roll once in a builders providers. 'it's not marine ply anymore, it's WBP'

Always have a look at their website and use the terms they use on it.

But back in the early 2000s working with European furniture we'd always be thinking in mm but hardware stores still uses imperial even when the boxes might have metric on them so it was good to know the imperial. I learned this after getting laughed at for asking for 35m screws. Next time it was 1 and 3/8s pleased boss.

I'd be wary plastering over damp brick. Maybe turn a radiator or get dehumidifier running for a while before you lash stuff on it
Damp is sorted now, but it’s by the sink so it’ll most likely get soaked anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back